So recently I began a new world on Astroneer. Fantastic start to the world, resin, compound, and a ton of research units nearby WITH a downed space craft with aluminum inside of it. I go wild, build a full base within ten minutes, enjoying myself a ton. I invite some friends to join, they do, and the fun continues. Then I noticed I had made a bad decision. 

There was no printer.

Well, here's where the discussion begins. Without the printer, you cant make anymore bases. Without more bases, you cant build anymore modules. Your stuck with the stuff you've created. Unless I'm wrong, the world is kinda screwed. 

Do you guys believe that the printer should stay a necessity for world expansion? Or do you believe that habitats should be possible to be found randomly for personal use? In my opinion, I  would rather be able to find more in the world, and create them. The printer being needed forces me to lose one usable module that I would prefer to have early. 

Also, If I'm wrong and habitats can be made in some other way please tell me. Because I haven't found out how yet. 

I think finding a habitat (like the seat) in the wild is cool.  I think maybe using a single compound to fix it first, then you can deploy it would also be a good idea.

43 minutes ago, Tony Cable said:

I think finding a habitat (like the seat) in the wild is cool.  I think maybe using a single compound to fix it first, then you can deploy it would also be a good idea.

I like that idea more than just finding it already usable. In all honesty, id be ok with it requiring more expensive materials to fix, as long as i can have one without the printer.

2 hours ago, BshonGaming said:

...There was no printer... Without the printer, you cant make anymore bases. Without more bases, you cant build anymore modules. Your stuck with the stuff you've created. Unless I'm wrong, the world is kinda screwed.

First of all, beware using a Habitat capsule from the Printer to start a new base... CHECK OUT THIS THREAD

"There was no printer."   While the Printer is not needed to progress in the game, you're cheating yourself by not creating one.  Because it can craft some very useful items for your base & vehicles.

"Without more bases, you cant build anymore modules... Unless I'm wrong, the world is kinda screwed."   Unfortunately, yes you are wrong.  You can create unlimited platforms from the original Habitat capsule.

It sounds like you've painted yourself into a corner by not planning ahead when building your base.  Remember to always leave yourself an open expansion node.

Did you make a rover? Can't you build from that? Or a spaceship?

But yeah, I think a warning should be issued or habitats can be discovered rarely instead of seats.

39 minutes ago, syterth said:

But yeah, I think a warning should be issued

A warning about what? 

And how do you mean "issued" ...like here on the forums?  Or some kind of text that pops up on screen in-game?

Have you  though of building a shuttle then landing it close to the base and using it as a new starting point and get the printer that way?

3 hours ago, Pi_ said:

A warning about what? 

And how do you mean "issued" ...like here on the forums?  Or some kind of text that pops up on screen in-game?

Maybe your last expansion will throw up a caution symbol, just so it makes you go: Huh, what could be going on.

Just a thought.

Edited by syterth
Because words

** Easy Solution: **

Grab the following: 8 compound, 3 resin, 2 copper, couple of small solar cells and some hydrazine.

1) Make a shuttle with cockpit (6 compound). This can all be printed at the vehicle station.

2) Fuel up and fly to any new LZ.

3) Click on the cable socket at the base of the shuttle. This will extend a platform (one time only).

4) Add 1, then 2 resin. Get the printer module.

5) Activate printer with the coppers, slap on some solar cells and wait will it charges up.

6) Add the last 2 compound; print out a habitat.

7) Stick it on your shuttle and fly back to your main base.

Cheers! :D

44 minutes ago, Truthseerguy said:

Grab the following: 8 compound, 3 resin, 2 copper, couple of small solar cells and some hydrazine.

1) Make a shuttle with cockpit (6 compound). This can all be printed at the vehicle station.

3) Click on the cable socket at the base of the shuttle. This will extend a platform (one time only).

5) Activate printer with the coppers, slap on some solar cells and wait will it charges up.

Better solution, promotes problem solving and alternate solutions when someone makes a mistake, and doesn't just hand things to the player.

1 hour ago, Truthseerguy said:

Ayy see! I appreciate this answer. I included that i could've screwed up for this reason. Learned something new. Thanks everyone!