Kerbalized

Solution for tether tether lag bug

I posted this to the subreddit already, but here we go.

I'm guessing the tether lag bug is caused by the game rendering all the surfaces around the tether, plus all the shadows caused by their little lights.

It sounds similar to the Minecraft torch bug from beta, where the visual engine used to render every visible surface. This led to massive lag when lighting up caves because the game would render blocks that weren't even visible to the player. Iirc, Mojang fixed is by calculating what surfaces were directly visible to the players.

The other solution is if a tether is not connected, it powers off. This could be implemented to create "switches". For example, after returning to base, a player could simply break the chain of tether leading to their cave, thereby deactivating that chain of tethers and (hopefully) cutting down on the amount of surfaces rendered.

This could even be used to make hubs, where a player would turn the lights off to their cave and then switch on the chain going to their mountain, for example.

Another solution was put forward by another user on Reddit. He was using his rover to power chains. He would drive as far into a cave as he could, then have chain of tether as he went. As he returned, he would collect his tethers. No massive tether chain=no lag

The only time I have tether lag is when my vehicle (not noticeable till I have 2 or more vehicles connected together) is near tethers and they try to connect to it. The fps drop is really bad. I'd like to see either a function to specifically connect tethers to vehicles, a special tether / modual that only connects to vehicles and other tethers while normal tethers ignore vehicles, or the ability to connect tethers to vehicles just gone.

Maybe an oxygen generator modual that attaches to a vehicle or base that uses vehicle / base power and is the only item that connects to tethers.  Could have it be deployable so you set it down on the ground, deploy it then it can be linked into a base or vehicle via the connection system and will link to tethers only while deployed. Then have the ability to repack it so you can attach it to your vehicle again and drive to a new location.

7 minutes ago, yankeevader said:

The only time I have tether lag is when my vehicle (not noticeable till I have 2 or more vehicles connected together) is near tethers and they try to connect to it. The fps drop is really bad. I'd like to see either a function to specifically connect tethers to vehicles, a special tether / modual that only connects to vehicles and other tethers while normal tethers ignore vehicles, or the ability to connect tethers to vehicles just gone.

Maybe an oxygen generator modual that attaches to a vehicle or base that uses vehicle / base power and is the only item that connects to tethers.  Could have it be deployable so you set it down on the ground, deploy it then it can be linked into a base or vehicle via the connection system and will link to tethers only while deployed. Then have the ability to repack it so you can attach it to your vehicle again and drive to a new location.

Another option would be requiring organics as fuel to process into oxygen for the oxygen generator as well as needing power. With some kind of attachment system like the trade station but 4 points instead of 8 and only accepts organics.

Maybe make tether connections manual. What I mean is that, once placed, a tether will not reconnect to anything unless the player(s) manually do so, much like connecting a rover to a base. This would stop tethers creating lag as rover trains drive by them.

One could maybe have something that checks if they are connected to base, then have another that disables all that are not in your view.

So it only needs to know if its connected or not and will update when another player does something or when that player goes by it?

Most of the lag is caused by how much world has been generated and how long you've been playing. People have already tested doing tether-less play through, and there's still frame rate problems. 

The game is using a deferred render, so the number of lights isn't an issue. Although it could be an issue with the game rendering too much beyond what the player sees on screen. 

9 minutes ago, ZacD said:

The game is using a deferred render, so the number of lights isn't an issue. Although it could be an issue with the game rendering too much beyond what the player sees on screen. 

Sure, as some can place 100's of them but it could fix some issues if some has that.

also if it renders more then what the player sees, it could maybe fix a few problems? (this also adds for Multiplayer that need all it can get)

Or how about the tether doesn't activate unless the player's connected to it ( light up)

And if the tether is not connected to anything then it just blinks red, but only to the current tether you're connected too, same thing to the ones that light up that are connected.