In my game, mining with the drill is really fast and I enjoy it but for a few challenging intricacies.

1. When you collect resources it directly fills slots on the vehicle which is great and a reason I like using it, however I have found in nearly impossible to get it just right so that I have collected a complete unit but not gone over into another. The reason this is a problem is that the resource occupies that space and can not be removed until it is a full unit which leads me to having several spots on my vehicle storage permanently occupied by partial units of resources that I can't get off. This is especially frustrating when it is Organic which I have yet to find a use for... I'm not sure what the solution is here... maybe it is like the terrain tool which only stores it when it is a full unit or maybe you can take the partial units off and discard them if you would like but it seem like there has to be a better way.
  2. On the Xbox it is difficult to precisely aim it (it would be nice if it had a left trigger precision feature like the terrain tool)

On the XBox, hold down LT to bring up your cursor and keep holding it while you get into the crane. The drill head should now follow your cursor making it a bit easier to control.

4 hours ago, Megatron said:

In my game, mining with the drill is really fast and I enjoy it but for a few challenging intricacies.

1. When you collect resources it directly fills slots on the vehicle which is great and a reason I like using it, however I have found in nearly impossible to get it just right so that I have collected a complete unit but not gone over into another. The reason this is a problem is that the resource occupies that space and can not be removed until it is a full unit which leads me to having several spots on my vehicle storage permanently occupied by partial units of resources that I can't get off. This is especially frustrating when it is Organic which I have yet to find a use for... I'm not sure what the solution is here... maybe it is like the terrain tool which only stores it when it is a full unit or maybe you can take the partial units off and discard them if you would like but it seem like there has to be a better way

Totally

11 hours ago, Megatron said:
  1. When you collect resources it directly fills slots on the vehicle which is great and a reason I like using it, however I have found in nearly impossible to get it just right so that I have collected a complete unit but not gone over into another. The reason this is a problem is that the resource occupies that space and can not be removed until it is a full unit which leads me to having several spots on my vehicle storage permanently occupied by partial units of resources that I can't get off. This is especially frustrating when it is Organic which I have yet to find a use for... I'm not sure what the solution is here... maybe it is like the terrain tool which only stores it when it is a full unit or maybe you can take the partial units off and discard them if you would like but it seem like there has to be a better way.

yes this is a problem. but i just use a truck base, one small storage and the crane with drill. so i mine as long as i need to fill the storage. after that the 2 slots on the crane are filled. when both are not complete i search for one of the resources. the other plops out when everything is full. so when you fill the complete truck you only have on "unfinished" stack on the crane. and that's not a big deal.

when you have a storage with one or more unfinished stacks just fill all slots with something and put it on the truck (next to the 1-seat). go for the same resource and fill the stack. when its full it automaticly switch to the crane slot and put the new resources there letting the finished stack in the storage. so i was able to clean multiple storages with unfinished stacks.

it's probably a bug but its possible to handle

I hope they alter the crane/drill to act as your handheld tool does: remembers partials for later excavation.

As for organic, they are used in the generators you make from your backpack.