Have you ever seen the astroneer render trailer?

You could have seen there mutiple times  that the astroneer calls a base like ship to the planets surface you could also see that the base building worked different not like it is now it was more "free". When you play Astroneer now you may mention that you choose spot-like building places in the trailer the astroneer crafts a solar panel places it on the ground and attached it with a wire to a base part. You can also see a really cool base landing on the planet.

May question is: Is this feature still in development? The old cover of Astroneer shows this base-like ship but on the current cover it is replaced by the normal ship we all know. When no, it could be something for the developers to bring it back.

3 minutes ago, chris8350111 said:

Have you ever seen the astroneer render trailer?

You could have seen there mutiple times  that the astroneer calls a base like ship to the planets surface you could also see that the base building worked different not like it is now it was more "free". When you play Astroneer now you may mention that you choose spot-like building places in the trailer the astroneer crafts a solar panel places it on the ground and attached it with a wire to a base part. You can also see a really cool base landing on the planet.

May question is: Is this feature still in development? The old cover of Astroneer shows this base-like ship but on the current cover it is replaced by the normal ship we all know. When no, it could be something for the developers to bring it back.

From my knowledge, the models you see in the release trailer are no longer in use. I don't believe they will go back to those designs as they have implemented other base-building mechanics.

Design wise, I think some of the other models look better as well but don't be afraid, even if they don't go back to those they will improve on the existing ones.

Building more freely would still be possible if for example they would make it so when you expand from the habitat you can drag the platform further away than the default distance it builds at right now. The possibilities are endless literally.

They could use them without changing the existing ones. You could use many of the old features still now. You could establish small Outpost on other planets or on your very own planets without taking a habitat with you and start with everything all over again. I found some pictures showing the old base building features. My idea is that you can find later in the game through research that ship in the pictures ("Astroneer Base", "Astroneer Base 2", "Astroneer Cover" and "Astroneer Outpost"). That ship offers you more storage and a build in habitat that you could use that ship as small temporary base while you are on this planet. Than you build you outpost which collect automatically the resources like the developers showed use in the trailer. You could also build your own energy "farm" (picture "Astroneer Concept") You could also use the ship on the artwork for a sort of farming ship that you could use when hunger and thirst ist adding in the game as a living habitat on other planets. And so one, the ideas are endless :)  PS: I just want to mention that the pictures are made by the developers not by me and i don't own any of the rights for the pictures. 

Astroneer Artwork.jpg

Astroneer Base 2.jpg

Astroneer Base.png

Astroneer Concept.jpg

Astroneer Cover (old).png

Astroneer Outpost.jpg

Astroneer Vehicles.jpg