When fauna are introduced..

Mr. Badger

When fauna come, whenever they do, I'm sure they're going to come in both passive and aggressive varieties. Passives may be her types that you can "mine" for resources/food. Same for the aggressive types. My question is this:

Without weapons how are we supposed to defend against them?

Thankfully, i also have some potential answers. With a lack of offensive capabilities we have to rely on defensive capabilities as well as being sneakybeaky.

1. Personal and base defensive devices:

• Electrical prod: Uses backpack battery to deliver a redirective jolt to aggressive targets as well as herd passive targets in the opposite direction of the delivered charge. Useful for educating aggressive fauna in the error of heir ways for a short time. Useful for herding passive fauna to wherever you want them to go.
  • Defensive shielding: Uses both backpack and base battery power. Encapsulates a predetermined area in a protective bubble of hard light. Incoming attacks, to include sandstorm debris, are deflected off the shield at a cost to battery power. Also useful against harmful flora/fauna.
  • Charged/Uncharged fences: Regular fences would be a solid defense against incoming damage from any source. Movement would cease at point of contact with fence. fences can be damaged over time and even destroyed. Charged fences would be similar to regular fences except that they would carry a charge. This charge would work much the same as the above mentioned prod only on a much wider, base encircling scale. The downside would be that this type of fence would not have as much HP as a regular fence and any break in the fence would break the circuit thereby rendering the charged aspect of the fence invalid.

2. Sneakybeaky defense:

• Thumper: A device that mimics sounds of certain animals to draw animals of the aggressive type away. These will require a generator and ORGANIC to run as they will most likely be some distance away from the base. Upon building the thumper, a button would appear on your capsule that activates the thumper remotely.
  • Bait: ORGANIC fired away from you using the terrain tool. Similar to the thumper but does not require power and will get eaten over time. Used primarily as a low tech alternative to the above mentioned defensive systems.

These are just a few ideas. I'm not sure about the coding implications that come with them as that type of knowledge is above my pay grade.

I very like these ideas, but i have to ask, why are the aggressive fauna automatically aggro? I know some plants are automatically aggro, but that is because: The Puff-Things need to reproduce with spore clouds, and the Spikers and the Reelers need food/nutrients. I personally think that the fauna should be normally passive, but if the player tries to kill the fauna (say: skins for parachutes) , instead of passively harvesting them (say: wool from sheep-like animals), they would turn aggro for a short time. I do like the idea of the electric prod, and fences could be useful as herding/marking for areas , but people should be able to take things passively (Some animal hair might collect ground items for taking /hair could be harvested by the player/ dropped antlers could be taken from ground/ etc) and harvesting dead animals (dead through natural causes). I don't think "Weapons" should be implemented, but a spike or a battering ram on the front of the truck might be useful for killing animals. You just have to worry about the rest of the herd getting angry at you....

On 1/16/2017 at 6:29 AM, Mr. Badger said:

When fauna come, whenever they do, I'm sure they're going to come in both passive and aggressive varieties. Passives may be her types that you can "mine" for resources/food. Same for the aggressive types.

1. Personal and base defensive devices:

• Electrical prod: Uses backpack battery to deliver a redirective jolt to aggressive targets as well as herd passive targets in the opposite direction of the delivered charge. Useful for educating aggressive fauna in the error of heir ways for a short time. Useful for herding passive fauna to wherever you want them to go.
  • Uncharged fences: Regular fences would be a solid defense against incoming damage from any source. Movement would cease at point of contact with fence. fences can be damaged over time and even destroyed.

Edited by Sidegamer

I would expect that some fauna should be passive and others aggressive based on whether they were predatory or not. It  might even be interesting if some animals were MORE predatory on, say, an arid world where conditions are more harsh and food resources more scarce. I don't think I'd like it if certain animals were always predatory but perhaps they might become more so as the player moves farther from the relative safety of a base or rover. It might also be cool if non-predators who were mostly not hostile or indifferent to the player could become a threat if in large numbers and spooked (say, a herd of plant eaters spooked by an approaching storm and stampeding towards the player). Besides fauna that are plant eaters and predators of those plant eaters, I could also imagine "mineralovores" that might compete with the player for certain resources and would have to be dealt with.  The possibilities for this game are endless!

The behaviour of animals should have different causes:

Search for food:

- just walk everywhere they find plants (like cows). 

- Eating material from storages(ever heard about the "copper sniffer"?)

- Eating connections from the base (they like rubber)

- hunt and eat other animals (also passive hunt with traps)

- Try to eat the astroneer 

Agressive Defense:

- Defending their own home

- Their children 

- Their own life (acid, spikes)

Intelligence and curiosity 

- Just watching the astroneer 

- Dismouting the base 

- Damaging vehicles

Not sure if I'm correct in this assumption, but...

The developer(s), so far, seem like this game they're creating is supposed to be a mainly calming and laid-back experience. In fact, I think that's supposed to be part of the appeal of the game. I mean, just look at the color palette of the planets you find in this game. Most of the colors are quite soothing, and the music only compliments it. The whole experience is quite relaxing. It's a game I can get lost in for hours on end and just rest the whole way through. The deaths in the game aren't permanent, and you can even retrieve the supplies lost after death, so they've made death not something to stress about. And, unless you're purposely trying to kill yourself, death isn't a commonly encountered obstacle in the game. Not sure if adding aggressive creatures to the game will ruin his/her/their vision for the game (if my assumption is indeed correct)... I'm totally in favor of adding more fauna, and have several ideas concerning it, but aggressive fauna (or any aggressive creature for that matter) doesn't seem like it would fit into the feel of the game.

I don't think, though, that the developer(s) would make a game without any challenges (or, rather, brief moments of drama and thrill). That's why the sandstorms were added. In Astroneer, I haven't explored anything past Terran's moon, so something like sandstorms might appear on other planets that I'm not able to mention out of ignorance. But, I know I would get bored of the game if sandstorms weren't a challenge I had to confront. Sandstorms are a variable I have to take into consideration with every action I make. When it comes to designing bases to deciding when to drive off to collect some more resin... But even sandstorms as a challenge (if you can even call them that) are still, like every other aspect of the game, quite easy to take care of, even if they require a bit more consideration. 

Even with sandstorms, which are momentary events, aggressive fauna (or at least acting how they've been described in most of the suggestions in this thread) would be a constant problem, a consistent worry. They really wouldn't do much good.

Edited by Galapagew