ManiacalApogee

Got bored. Made Stonehenge.

It was actually pretty hard to get a good screenshot with short rendering distance. (It's at max.) Aaaand hard to get a nice angle, but.. Lol. 

If I get even more bored, I'll make it a bit more accurate, but.. we'll see~

3fc3ac433d.jpg

31fedc76a5.jpg

2c7bc9d162.jpg

2 hours ago, ManiacalApogee said:

It was actually pretty hard to get a good screenshot with short rendering distance. (It's at max.) Aaaand hard to get a nice angle, but.. Lol. 

If I get even more bored, I'll make it a bit more accurate, but.. we'll see~

3fc3ac433d.jpg

31fedc76a5.jpg

2c7bc9d162.jpg

4 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

Neat!
That kinda brings up the idea of integrating landmarks into the terrain generation. Would be pretty awesome if we had that!

Hoping there will be more signs of previous exploration if not outright signs of sentient extraterrestrials. 

Just now, Mr. Badger said:

Hoping there will be more signs of previous exploration if not outright signs of sentient extraterrestrials. 

For sure! The dead bodies, wreckage's etc. are plenty for now, though. :D

Just now, Wyvyrias said:

I'd like to see a circle of corpses a la No Country for old Men. Maybe like some kind of trade went bad during a windstorm or something.

latest?cb=20131123063132

2 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

Not sure they're plenty for me. I'm really hoping for some alien life. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Badger said:

I'd like to see a circle of corpses a la No Country for old Men. Maybe like some kind of trade went bad during a windstorm or something.

Just now, ManiacalApogee said:

Not sure they're plenty for me. I'm really hoping for some alien life. 

Let's not go too far with the amount of corpses now. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Wyvyrias said:

Let's not go too far with the amount of corpses now. :ph34r:

If "corpses" is too strong of a word maybe we can call them "living impaired"? "Cardiopulmonary Challenged"? "Ambient Temperature Enabled?" :)

I hear you. Do you think the devs might open up to the forum for ideas on landmarks in the future?

If "corpses" is too strong of a word maybe we can call them "living impaired"? "Cardiopulmonary Challenged"? "Ambient Temperature Enabled?" :)

Uhm...:ph34r:

I hear you. Do you think the devs might open up to the forum for ideas on landmarks in the future?

You mean like a dedicated pinned thread or something? Basically it's open for all (reasonable) suggestions. :D
And I am sure they'd love to integrate that into the game someday!

Just now, Wyvyrias said:

Uhm...:ph34r:

You mean like a dedicated pinned thread or something? Basically it's open for all (reasonable) suggestions. :D
And I am sure they'd love to integrate that into the game someday!

Possibly. I was thinking more like an event or something. 

Possibly. I was thinking more like an event or something. 

Hmm, making time-limited events to have people submit their creations to evaluate them afterwards could be worth a try!

13 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

Hmm, making time-limited events to have people submit their creations to evaluate them afterwards could be worth a try!

I just figure that some of the other games out there have done something similar with community creations so why not us?

I just figure that some of the other games out there have done something similar with community creations so why not us?

Because the focus lies on improving the game right now. :D
But as said, we'll see what we can do!

11 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

Because the focus lies on improving the game right now. :D
But as said, we'll see what we can do!

Eggszachary. Thanks for the convo!

8 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

Neat!
That kinda brings up the idea of integrating landmarks into the terrain generation. Would be pretty awesome if we had that!

This always seems like a good idea, but in practice has large impacts on how the terrain will generate, and some items can take away from the uniqueness of landscape.

It also removes incentive for players to make their own landmarks, maybe refining sandbox tools for them would yield more gameplay options, as well as keep the land generation more unique.

Players familiar with Rust may notice that with more addition of premade buildings and assets to the game, including caverns, that even with different seeds on different servers, many landscapes start looking too familiar, since these assets must always flatten out the terrain or affect it somehow in order to fit in properly. With large areas like airports, not only is the immediate land generation effected, but large swaths around it as well to accommodate a seamless landscape. Over time the land starts looking more and more generic, with the same mountain, cliff, rock formations, rivers, bridges, towers, factories, houses, etc and the generation becomes bland.

Also as a side effect, even in Rust, player influence on the land is further limited, as buildings and infrastructure used to be created by players themselves - built, maintained and fought over, but now is served with static assets.

The same effect befell Minecraft with the addition of villages and temples.. the land procgen was also affected to cater to these buildings, and players that would have normally built villages and pyramids and temples themselves, no longer had to.

But most of all, seeing Stonehenge like structures are neat the first time, but seeing them 10 times on a planet is going to elicit boredom. No Man's Sky, for example, had the same repeating 'alien' building(s) on each planet. Neat to discover the first time, the next 30 times, especially when they were identical, lead to boredom.

When I visit a new planet for the first time, or replay Astroneer, I want to see the most variance in landscape possible. In early Minecraft (1.52 - 1.73 or so), the procgen was so interesting, it sparked the imagination, now 1.0 and onward most consider it to be quite bland and boring.

Long response, sorry, but adding premade assets has a huge impact on games, so had to elaborate.

1 minute ago, ent|ty said:

This always seems like a good idea, but in practice has large impacts on how the terrain will generate, and some items can take away from the uniqueness of landscape.

It also removes incentive for players to make their own landmarks, maybe refining sandbox tools for them would yield more gameplay options, as well as keep the land generation more unique.

Players familiar with Rust may notice that with more addition of premade buildings and assets to the game, including caverns, that even with different seeds on different servers, many landscapes start looking too familiar, since these assets must always flatten out the terrain or affect it somehow in order to fit in properly. With large areas like airports, not only is the immediate land generation effected, but large swaths around it as well to accommodate a seamless landscape. Over time the land starts looking more and more generic, with the same mountain, cliff, rock formations, rivers, bridges, towers, factories, houses, etc and the generation becomes bland.

Also as a side effect, even in Rust, player influence on the land is further limited, as buildings and infrastructure used to be created by players themselves - built, maintained and fought over, but now is served with static assets.

The same effect befell Minecraft with the addition of villages and temples.. the land procgen was also affected to cater to these buildings, and players that would have normally built villages and pyramids and temples themselves, no longer had to.

But most of all, seeing Stonehenge like structures are neat the first time, but seeing them 10 times on a planet is going to elicit boredom. No Man's Sky, for example, had the same repeating 'alien' building(s) on each planet. Neat to discover the first time, the next 30 times, especially when they were identical, lead to boredom.

When I visit a new planet for the first time, or replay Astroneer, I want to see the most variance in landscape possible. In early Minecraft (1.52 - 1.73 or so), the procgen was so interesting, it sparked the imagination, now 1.0 and onward most consider it to be quite bland and boring.

Long response, sorry, but adding premade assets has a huge impact on games, so had to elaborate.

I get the idea, but in general it would benefit the exploration part of Astroneer.
Landmarks could easily be made something interesting, something exciting just by balancing them properly. The planets are big, there's lot of space for them. Especially by adding hundreds, if not thousands of different possible landmarks it could become pretty unique. And when the terrain is used to create those, they may not even add much to the game's file size. Static assets that can't even be deformed would be boring after all.

Sure, as long as they serve a purpose for discovery, are relatively unique and serve the gameplay, it's all good.