Sidegamer

dont want to brag...

Just mined through whole planet of terra, and FYI, it takes a backpack full of tethers.

No iron core sadly... Probably why you have to wear a space suit to protect from radiation

There's a core. Just gotta find it. My friend and I did it and found Astronium. Unless that's not the core, then idfk. But I think most people miss it, because it's not very big. 

How can you miss the core?  All you have to do is dig down until you are in zero gravity.  Or is the core not in the center of zero gravity?

If an Astroneer can dig himself down to the core of a planet, using only a terraforming gun, he is like a God already and where's the challenge.

I hope the final release makes this action almost impossible without expensive tools, very dangerous to do so, or outright impossible. Or just leave it in and go "Meh, its Astroneer"

It really screws up my sense of belief in the scale of things, and I believe the majesty of planets are lost, when I can dig to the core relatively easily.

Example: The Moon. Clearly it is too small, and feels more like an asteroid.

I think they should add a pressure system, where the deeper you mine the more oxygen you need, (aka it runs out faster) and maybe you would have to upgrade your space suit to withstand the pressure, but the better upgrade the slower you move because of the weight of the suit.

Then, it would be more challenging to dig to the core.

Edited by Endrail

16 hours ago, Martin said:

grats. How many tethers in total and whats ur fps after putting them all down?

I have a very high 60 fps, and i believe that I used up to 60 tethers, also, the astronium is not the core. Im talking about an iron core Nich

You know you are at the center when you flip upside down and "up" is the opposite direction.  There wasn't a core when I did this on Terran, but there were several pockets of Astronium nearby the center of the planet, so it is feasible to get a spawn that has an Astronium bundle in the center.  It is very disorienting when your partner has his feet under your feet.

Edited by Tony Cable

Early access, fellas. New things will be coming to the game as it develops. More flora. More fauna. More things that make Astroneer Astroneer. 

Please stand by.

On 1/16/2017 at 3:40 AM, ManiacalApogee said:

There's a core. Just gotta find it. My friend and I did it and found Astronium. Unless that's not the core, then idfk. But I think most people miss it, because it's not very big. 

As with lithium and titanium, astronium deposits are attached to large rocks. When digging deep you should run into a bunch of these deposits. The resources attached to the outside of the deposit can be harvested with the deform tool and the core of the deposit can be mined with a drill head.

tethers? but why

you can build a truck, equip it with crane and drill 

aaaaand it will make a new core floating right in the center of planet :D

On 1/16/2017 at 0:40 AM, ManiacalApogee said:

there is no physical core, it is just a region in the planet where gravity is seemingly broken. its like being in space, no up, no down. yet if you move slightly, you can go to the other side of the planet. by diggging of course

Edited by Endermankid563

This is an excavation I've done to the centre... I have a habitat placed just off the zero G zone so I can ninja-tap tab to remove all velocity, allowing a direct plunge from the surface without dying.

I have three ramps to the surface; two allowing a truck to travel all the way down from either side and another as a drop chute which can be climbed if necessary

Spoiler

361420_20170217175643_1.png

2017-02-17 (9).png

20170226011909_1.jpg

Edited by Colude

On 2/25/2017 at 11:33 PM, Colude said:

This is an excavation I've done to the centre... I have a habitat placed just off the zero G zone so I can ninja-tap tab to remove all velocity, allowing a direct plunge from the surface without dying.

I have three ramps to the surface; two allowing a truck to travel all the way down from either side and another as a drop chute which can be climbed if necessary

Reveal hidden contents

2017-02-17 (9).png

20170226011909_1.jpg

oh wow thats amazing.

I've been really curious about the center. Did your trucks/rovers orbit the core? I really want to know.

1 hour ago, fiobisher said:

oh wow thats amazing.

I've been really curious about the center. Did your trucks/rovers orbit the core? I really want to know.

On 2/25/2017 at 9:33 AM, Colude said:

Reveal hidden contents

2017-02-17 (9).png

20170226011909_1.jpg

:ph34r: Holy! That's actually a really clever idea

4 hours ago, fiobisher said:

oh wow thats amazing.

Yes they do, but you can't drive them if there's no gravity to cause friction on a driving surface... Basically have to use a winch to pull them back 'up' onto a ramp. So hard to make them settle! Wheeeeee!

Hmmm, Now I want to try to dig a hole through the center to the other side.  Then try jumping in and see if I pop out the other side. :)

Probably won't work, stupid air resistance.