Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, UnorthodoxTech said:

Well, that's understandable. Though it would make sense to sell unrefined ore to refineries -- but that isn't an option in this case xD

To be honest, there's not much point in trading considering the ease of access of practically all existing resources (I personally think they're easy to find -- unless you're far too lazy to leave camp). But really, there's no benefit from trading currently. Maybe if there were specialty items or even daily requests/collection missions from whosoever is buying our product, right? Our shady corporate overlords certainly get more hydrazine from us than they know what to do with.;)

Yeah, it's an odd mechanic. I think it's meant to be because you just have so much access to compound and resin that you can now just trade to get some of the more annoying stuff to find. On the radiated planet, I've made a fully wind powered array of 8 fuel condensers and 2 trade platforms that allows me to have virtually everything I want. I was able to easily procure enough lithium to make 8 batteries which I had just in case I ever lost power, which I didn't. If I wanted to get, say, 4 storage units worth of titanium for some absurd reason, it would only take about 10-15 minutes with that set up and could be made faster if extended to 16 and 4 of the 2 Base Modules respectively. So, yeah, mining is easy, but this is easier. I could fund a fully operational base on every planet in likely an hour, then another hour to implement it on each planet. Definitely needs changing in some way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

Yeah, it's an odd mechanic. I think it's meant to be because you just have so much access to compound and resin that you can now just trade to get some of the more annoying stuff to find. On the radiated planet, I've made a fully wind powered array of 8 fuel condensers and 2 trade platforms that allows me to have virtually everything I want. I was able to easily procure enough lithium to make 8 batteries which I had just in case I ever lost power, which I didn't. If I wanted to get, say, 4 storage units worth of titanium for some absurd reason, it would only take about 10-15 minutes with that set up and could be made faster if extended to 16 and 4 of the 2 Base Modules respectively. So, yeah, mining is easy, but this is easier. I could fund a fully operational base on every planet in likely an hour, then another hour to implement it on each planet. Definitely needs changing in some way.

8 batteries?! Nice, currently I have 6 batteries, I am also aiming for a max of 8 batteries, and since I hoard coal I'll have a Generator portion in my homebase , the design in my mind looks cool, let's hope it turns out just as good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

Yeah, it's an odd mechanic. I think it's meant to be because you just have so much access to compound and resin that you can now just trade to get some of the more annoying stuff to find. On the radiated planet, I've made a fully wind powered array of 8 fuel condensers and 2 trade platforms that allows me to have virtually everything I want. I was able to easily procure enough lithium to make 8 batteries which I had just in case I ever lost power, which I didn't. If I wanted to get, say, 4 storage units worth of titanium for some absurd reason, it would only take about 10-15 minutes with that set up and could be made faster if extended to 16 and 4 of the 2 Base Modules respectively. So, yeah, mining is easy, but this is easier. I could fund a fully operational base on every planet in likely an hour, then another hour to implement it on each planet. Definitely needs changing in some way.

I guess it depends on the sort of gameplay the devs intend to have next. When you get locked into a cycle like this, you basically have a fully automated base, yea? Don't misunderstand my opinion, I think the trade system is extremely useful, though considering the small amount of content available, abusing it leaves me creating a new game every other day so I have something new to do. Honestly trading would be immensely more handy if, per se, you had more pressing issues at hand -- establishing research outposts or fully colonizing planets maybe? (Though honestly any outline of an objective would be enough)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, UnorthodoxTech said:

I guess it depends on the sort of gameplay the devs intend to have next. When you get locked into a cycle like this, you basically have a fully automated base, yea? Don't misunderstand my opinion, I think the trade system is extremely useful, though considering the small amount of content available, abusing it leaves me creating a new game every other day so I have something new to do. Honestly trading would be immensely more handy if, per se, you had more pressing issues at hand -- establishing research outposts or fully colonizing planets maybe? (Though honestly any outline of an objective would be enough)

Yeah, I meant it's an odd mechanic how it works now. The Trade Platform is great and I totally want it to stay, but it needs to be altered to not be so easily abuseable. As it stands, you can, as you said, make a fully automated based where you no longer have to leave to do anything and everything. Once a clear objective in the game is set (which you're right, that is more needed than anything else, it's just really early on), then I think some of these other game aspects will fall into place a bit better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DrivenWild said:

Can't wait till a Dev gets in here! :)

I absolutely love all the ideas! (Especially the jetpacks!)

100% 1+

Hey, thanks! I really hope we can get some dev attention in this forum soon, too. So far they've been busy with the launch, so I can't blame them for not being around here just yet. Anyway, yeah, thanks for the support. I hope to see you in conversations later on on this thread. I plan to put out another post tomorrow about ideas and stuff adding to this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

Hey, thanks! I really hope we can get some dev attention in this forum soon, too. So far they've been busy with the launch, so I can't blame them for not being around here just yet. Anyway, yeah, thanks for the support. I hope to see you in conversations later on on this thread. I plan to put out another post tomorrow about ideas and stuff adding to this thread.

They are around and they do read suggestions, bug reports etc.

But considering the sheer amount of posts, of course they won't reply to every thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wyvyrias said:

They are around and they do read suggestions, bug reports etc.

But considering the sheer amount of posts, of course they won't reply to every thread. 

Oh, yeah, I can only imagine. I've worked in game design on a much smaller scale and that was a ton to handle. I totally don't expect them to be able to deal with everything going on on the forums as it stands. There's just too much going on, as you said, especially in early stages like this where they likely have a ton of things they want to work on themselves, not just what the community desires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heading to bed but I had a small list of ideas I wanted to toss out there before I forget them.

Quote
  • Foot prints and tire tracks: I think this is obvious. Not a needed addition but would still be nice to have. Storms could cover them up as well as the terrain tool. Could also make the feature toggleable in the menu in case it causes a FPS drop for some people. (Credit to @SLC for inspiring this idea)
  • Visible decay to objects: If/when damage to vehicles and base modules is added, a visible sort of wear and tear on objects would be great. Just to give you a GUI-less way to know that things are damaged. I actually love the lack of GUI the game has, so I'd love to keep it that way.
  • Changes to the sky; stars and planets: Trust me, I like seeing the stars as much as the next guy, but the planets honestly just look like nonsense to me and I'd much prefer a smoother appearance. The same could be said for the stars. Little glowing triangles kind of kills the immersion, which this game has done very well in most parts. Just a rehash on the visible of spatial objects in the sky would be great.
  • Power generation in storms: So, for some reason, when there's a storm going about my wind turbines don't seem to get always get power, and at the same time, sometimes during a storm I continue to get power from my solar panels; it just seems a little off. From what I can tell, the power generation for solar panels is purely based of the day and night cycle, not visibility, and the wind turbines is likely just on a random "is there wind right now" regardless of day time. Now, I'm sure a feature like this is eventually intended, but I wanted to mention it anyway. Storms should lessen the power generated by solar panels depending on severity and they should also generate power for wind turbines.
  • Storm severity: From what I can tell, storms seem to always be about the same. They may differ in color or duration, but they're the same severity. Just a nice fluctuation between simple storms to massive ones would be nice. Simple ones would slow you down a bit, would be smaller, but have no debris; moderate ones would slow you down more; bigger in size, and have some debris, and massive ones would slow you down considerable as well as toss vehicles around, be much much larger, and have a lot of debris. The amount of damage the debris and just the storm itself do to vehicles and base modules could vary as well based on severity.
  • LOOT: So, I was trying to think of something that could be really cool to add, would be nice and fun, but doesn't necessarily have to do with game balance. What if you could either find randomly or on a rare chance from researching an artifact obtain different cosmetic only loot for your character? You could then customize your appearance even further that way. Just imagine a little Astroneer in a cowboy hat, with a streaming cape, or even rocking a badass dragon's tail! Of course, it doesn't all have to be silly, but that's just what came to mind. I was inspired by the Team Fortress 2 hat mechanic that allowed players to get and wear different hats. You could do something similar, allowing players to not only find and wear them, but they could even trade/sell them as well. Not super fond of being able to sell them for real money like hats in TF2 but that function would be up to the devs.

Well, that's all I've got for now. I plan to make a big update post tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Edited by Azrael the Sorrowful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! i read through all of your ideas and wow.. you certainly have a lot of ideas. I'm honestly impressed- seems like you should join the dev team haha.
Anyway, i had a small idea pop into my head earlier today involving the space suit. I already posted about this in a separate threat in the 'Suggestions' forum however, i thought to add it here too.

I was thinking, instead of the all-so-sudden gushing of wind as the warning for an impending storm that will hit in the next 0.5 seconds (which can be difficult to hear sometimes over other things), the suit could have some sort of alarm system that detects dust storms in the vicinity of the player (a vicinity with a -howeverbig- radius/area). The alarm sounds for a short given time (10 seconds?) and the alarm warns you how far away the storm is- the distance away from the player being measured by a set time between you and the storm (say, 30-40 seconds. enough to finish what you're doing in that moment and find shelter or dig a deep hole)

What do you think? any ideas to add to that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding onto my idea, maybe change the time slot between a player and the storm to somewhere around 20 seconds (give or take :p) enough time to get to shelter or dig a hole.
I'm also tossing up whether to make it an additive to the backpack (so it takes up physical space and is created via the mini crafting station already in the backpack currently) OR to have it already in the suit and just have an option in the game menu to turn the alarm on or off (default setting in this case is ON). Maybe it could also come with a red blinking light?

I am thinking on having a large version as well to be able to plant it somewhere on your space base. this is created via the 3d printer

These are just ideas, nothing to be taken all too seriously but i just thought it would be cool for some players who would like a warning system of some sort for incoming storms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SpacePie said:

Hello! i read through all of your ideas and wow.. you certainly have a lot of ideas. I'm honestly impressed- seems like you should join the dev team haha.
Anyway, i had a small idea pop into my head earlier today involving the space suit. I already posted about this in a separate threat in the 'Suggestions' forum however, i thought to add it here too.

I was thinking, instead of the all-so-sudden gushing of wind as the warning for an impending storm that will hit in the next 0.5 seconds (which can be difficult to hear sometimes over other things), the suit could have some sort of alarm system that detects dust storms in the vicinity of the player (a vicinity with a -howeverbig- radius/area). The alarm sounds for a short given time (10 seconds?) and the alarm warns you how far away the storm is- the distance away from the player being measured by a set time between you and the storm (say, 30-40 seconds. enough to finish what you're doing in that moment and find shelter or dig a deep hole)

What do you think? any ideas to add to that?

 

3 hours ago, SpacePie said:

Adding onto my idea, maybe change the time slot between a player and the storm to somewhere around 20 seconds (give or take :p) enough time to get to shelter or dig a hole.
I'm also tossing up whether to make it an additive to the backpack (so it takes up physical space and is created via the mini crafting station already in the backpack currently) OR to have it already in the suit and just have an option in the game menu to turn the alarm on or off (default setting in this case is ON). Maybe it could also come with a red blinking light?

I am thinking on having a large version as well to be able to plant it somewhere on your space base. this is created via the 3d printer

These are just ideas, nothing to be taken all too seriously but i just thought it would be cool for some players who would like a warning system of some sort for incoming storms.

On the main post of the thread, in the Suit Modules section, I have an idea called Compass Suit Module. I later decided to rename it to Radar Suit Module (though I cannot edit the post) but it pretty much is the same as your idea but a bit more. SO, yeah, I definitely support your idea! Thanks for the comment and the support. I hope to see you around more! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

Lol, I'm glad you like the idea! The aim for them was to add for deep cave exploring, as doing it by food is tedious.

And then stick them on the back of a truck using a crane and bring them to places that need real hardcore ground work, like building a big ramp to get cars underground into a tunnel system. 
Walker mechs could have bigger ground terraforming tools go quicken the job. Or a wider area of effect :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, billeKoek said:

And then stick them on the back of a truck using a crane and bring them to places that need real hardcore ground work, like building a big ramp to get cars underground into a tunnel system. 
Walker mechs could have bigger ground terraforming tools go quicken the job. Or a wider area of effect :) 

 

Oh, hell yeah, that's a great idea. I larger scale terrain tool would be good to add!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a brilliant list of ideas; I've seen many of them echoed in other posts, though not to such a high level of detail. I'm going reply to a few of them separately as there is a lot of ground to cover. 

Generators: I'm with you on almost all points, in particular the large generator [coal] should have some smarts to control it's consumption of fuel as needed rather than burning down at a steady rate regardless of power demands. The small generator is where I feel differently. Since it is such a basic portable unit that you can craft on the spot, I don't think it should have any fuel management capabilities. That is, it should just burn through whatever organics you feed it like it does now. 

The auto feeding feature is nice, but I think I would see that limited to just the large generator as well, or even to a third dedicated generator platform (like the smelter) and keep the two "portable" versions manual as they are now. If a dedicated power generation platform is introduced, it should be capable of consuming multiple types of fuel (organic, coal, astronium(?), plutonium(!?!) ) and pull in whatever you put on it's platform as you suggest. Alternatively you could also allow the coal fired generator to draw new coal resource pack to it if you have it mounted on a platform or truck - I'm not sure drawing resources from any node on your base would be desirable. 

(we can start a new thread to talk about adding uranium as a raw resource and creating a centrifuge platform to refine it into plutonium)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WhosTog said:

This is a brilliant list of ideas; I've seen many of them echoed in other posts, though not to such a high level of detail. I'm going reply to a few of them separately as there is a lot of ground to cover. 

Generators: I'm with you on almost all points, in particular the large generator [coal] should have some smarts to control it's consumption of fuel as needed rather than burning down at a steady rate regardless of power demands. The small generator is where I feel differently. Since it is such a basic portable unit that you can craft on the spot, I don't think it should have any fuel management capabilities. That is, it should just burn through whatever organics you feed it like it does now. 

The auto feeding feature is nice, but I think I would see that limited to just the large generator as well, or even to a third dedicated generator platform (like the smelter) and keep the two "portable" versions manual as they are now. If a dedicated power generation platform is introduced, it should be capable of consuming multiple types of fuel (organic, coal, astronium(?), plutonium(!?!) ) and pull in whatever you put on it's platform as you suggest. Alternatively you could also allow the coal fired generator to draw new coal resource pack to it if you have it mounted on a platform or truck - I'm not sure drawing resources from any node on your base would be desirable. 

(we can start a new thread to talk about adding uranium as a raw resource and creating a centrifuge platform to refine it into plutonium)

I utterly adore that idea! A Generator Base Module capable of handling different, and possibly at the same time, power generating resources would be great! It would almost defeat the purpose of the power modules for bases, though they could still be used on the player or on vehicles, so I think it's fair. I'll include that in my next update to this post! As for a new thread, I'd rather keep it all on this thread to keep it alive so people can see it more. I've even been told by a forum moderator if I sent them a link and a new version of the post they could edit the main post for me to include all of the desired information, so anything added will be added to that, too, eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool stuff!  While I haven't placed as much time into the game as you have, I've played enough to disagree with you on only one point:

  • Base/Vehicle Damage: from general wear and tear to chunks taken out by large cubes of debris blown around by storms, the player's base and vehicles need to be able to take damage, requiring the player to use resources to repair them.

No thanks! I say this because when I realized that storms and debris didn't damage my base and vehicles I was relieved.  I didn't feel at all like I was cheating, I felt like it was one less thing I had to waste time and resources worrying about.  It felt like something that other games would do but that Astroneer doesn't do because it's amazing.  Since you don't have to worry about this right now, it allows us players to build massive constructs with huge trains of modules and/or vehicles (which is really fun) and not deal with an inconvenience that has potential to spiral out of control.

I also feel like if they did add this, it would be downright tedious to balance correctly.  Repairs needed too often?  Annoying.  Too many resources needed to repair?  Annoying.  Different resources needed for different structures/vehicles?  Very annoying.

Perhaps if the development team finds a very intuitive and non-intrusive way to do this, I'd fly with it.  Otherwise, I like the game without it.

 

Besides that, great stuff!  I would personally put the ability to deconstruct or move pieces of your base around at the top of the list of needed additions.  I actually accidentally dead-ended my base on Terran because I built all my newly researched goodies without thinking about expansion.  Since there's no way for me to deconstruct, I literally have nothing else I can do on Terran.  ;-;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Azzla said:

Very cool stuff!  While I haven't placed as much time into the game as you have, I've played enough to disagree with you on only one point:

  • Base/Vehicle Damage: from general wear and tear to chunks taken out by large cubes of debris blown around by storms, the player's base and vehicles need to be able to take damage, requiring the player to use resources to repair them.

No thanks! I say this because when I realized that storms and debris didn't damage my base and vehicles I was relieved.  I didn't feel at all like I was cheating, I felt like it was one less thing I had to waste time and resources worrying about.  It felt like something that other games would do but that Astroneer doesn't do because it's amazing.  Since you don't have to worry about this right now, it allows us players to build massive constructs with huge trains of modules and/or vehicles (which is really fun) and not deal with an inconvenience that has potential to spiral out of control.

I also feel like if they did add this, it would be downright tedious to balance correctly.  Repairs needed too often?  Annoying.  Too many resources needed to repair?  Annoying.  Different resources needed for different structures/vehicles?  Very annoying.

Perhaps if the development team finds a very intuitive and non-intrusive way to do this, I'd fly with it.  Otherwise, I like the game without it.

 

Besides that, great stuff!  I would personally put the ability to deconstruct or move pieces of your base around at the top of the list of needed additions.  I actually accidentally dead-ended my base on Terran because I built all my newly researched goodies without thinking about expansion.  Since there's no way for me to deconstruct, I literally have nothing else I can do on Terran.  ;-;

Well, like it or not, I'm nearly certain that base/vehicle damage will be added eventually. It might even be optional, giving different difficulty modes. As for your base predicament. There's an easy fix. Research a habitat, print one and plop it down anywhere; even next to your previous base. It may not be able to connect, but you sure can expand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Azzla said:

 

... there's no way for me to deconstruct, I literally have nothing else I can do on Terran.  ;-;

Create a habitat nearby and start a new base. You can link the bases with a vehicle so they share power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WhosTog said:

Create a habitat nearby and start a new base. You can link the bases with a vehicle so they share power.

Oh, I never thought about using a vehicle to bridge the gap! That's really cool xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WhosTog said:

Create a habitat nearby and start a new base. You can link the bases with a vehicle so they share power.

Thank you! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now