First of all, I want to thank System Era for this amazing game. I've been following it for a while and have been very interested. I've only just recently gotten to play because my old computer rig I got from back in like 2010 (lol, yeah, forever to upgrade I know) could not handle it, but I've played a ton since I started and have pretty much done most everything there is to do and I've either watched others play or read about the rest there is that the alpha has to offer. Once again, thank you so much for this game and I look forward to the future of Astroneer. I'd also like to invite @SES_Adam to come take a look at this as I think he might enjoy what he sees.

For everyone else out there, I want to apologize if there's something in here I suggest that has already been suggested else where. I don't have the time to look through every post and make sure I'm not duplicating any ideas and I just have a lot to say so I'd rather just cover all the bases anyway. Just remember I'm not trying to steal your thunder. If you have an idea that you submitted that I put on here, feel free to let me know and share a link and I'd love to go comment, upvote, and share support. After all, we're in this together! 

Much the same, if you read through this, please go down and leave a comment and let me know. I need all the support I can get to make sure the devs see this and we can make Astroneer even better than it is! Thank you so much for taking the time to come in and have a look, I hope you like what you see!

If you have another idea that goes along with anything I've posted here or even a better way to implement one of my own, please share it with me in the comments! I'd love to hear your feedback!

Now, as for some quality of life ideas:

• First of all, Generators: they're currently not up to snuff when it comes to power output, especially the larger coal variant. 
  • First, with the large generator, I think the power production needs to be increased. With how rare coal is, they're nearly pointless, especially when you can use 2 small generators can match the same per second power generation for a much easier to gather resource. All in all, some sort of change needs to happen here, in my opinion.
  • Second, I'm not sure if this is intentional, a bug, or takes something to trigger it, but for me, regardless of if anything is drawing power, generators seem to constantly consume the stack of a resource on them and pretty much waste the power they generate if it has no where to go. This seems like a huge flaw to me. I'd understand if this was a furnace burning the resource for heat, but these are futuristic power generators; I feel like a flaw like that should have been dealt with technologically.
  • Last, this one is more of a personal nitpick than anything. See, I love automation and there's a lot of lovely automation features in this game I enjoy. For example, with a smelter, if you have a storage with ore on it and it has enough power, all of the items will move over to the smelting area automatically so that you don't have to move them one by one. This is great and I enjoy it very much; however, why not add that functionality to generators. One of the most annoying features for me when it comes to generators is that, unlike solar panels and wind turbines which give me energy without me having to constantly maintenance them, you have to keep moving a new stack of resource over to them every time it runs out. Why not make it so that if an inventory on a module has more of the desired resource, it will move over to the generator to continue producing power? And the same thing for the player; wouldn't it be great if you had a generator on your back and a few stacks of organics and when one ran out the next moved over and kept giving power? This would be a great addition and would give a whole lot more viability to generators! 

• Inventory tweaks: there's a few changes to inventory management that I think would be quite nice to have.
  • First, partial stacks on the backpack; oh boy can these be irritating. No matter how they come to be I hate them. Out mining, low on power, pick up some power in crystal form and then use some of it, there's nothing wrong here so far. However, when I see a new deposit of power and I want to stock back up, instead of filling the partial stack on my back it makes a whole new stack on my terrain tool; this right here is where it gets annoying. Now I either have to make a mess of my inventory or waste this non replenishing resource by dropping and it and leaving it behind. It would be much better if it tried to fill these partial stacks first once my main battery is full before it made a new one. 
  • Second, partial stacks with the drill on a Truck or something; somehow more irritating. These case me problems, because I'll be out mining with my resource gathering Rover train, except sometimes I actually grab a bit of some resource I don't want, like organic for example. Unlike my terrain tool which can hold a partial stack of every resource at once, the drill doesn't do this; it instead creates a stack on an open inventory and honestly just makes a mess of everything. The worst part being that until that stack is complete, I can't even remove it. I've had times when I've thrown out an entire storage piece rather than try and finish out that rogue stack of organic without accidentally making a new partial stack (another annoying bit) because it's easier to get the 2 stacks of compound to make a new one than it is to deal with this. Either the same functionality as the terrain tool toward partial stacks or the ability to remove partial stacks would be great.
  • Last, partial stacks of power and oxygen on the terrain tool. I get it, it's not a full stack, normally it can't be used. I can't smelt half a stack of Laterite into half a stack of Aluminum; that makes sense. But why when I'm suffocating in a cave can I not use the 99% complete stack of oxygen on my terrain tool? This just seems like a clunky mechanic that could be refined for a much more pleasant spelunking experience.

• FUEL COMPRESSORS AND TRADE OUTPOSTS: oh do these need to be nerfed. (Note: This is based off my gameplay before updating to 0.2.117.0, but I still think these fixes would be better than the current ones so I'm keeping it in)
  • No need for multiple bullet points, I'll cover this all in one thing. First of all, once you research these two things and build them, you no longer need to go out and mine. With an array of fuel compressors, tons of power sources and a couple trade outposts, you can have literally any resource without leaving your base. To prove this point, I made a whole new save and went out until I researched them both and the Spaceship. I set myself up a bit, flew to the radiated planet and got to work. I set up an array of 8 Fuel Compressors with 2 Trade Outposts (really only needed one but eh, 2 had faster output; later did three but it wasn't needed). From that point, I made a ton of wind turbines, which pretty much gave me infinite power and started the machine up. Slowly going around with the Fuel compressors, I make a full inventory of Hydrazine, then I continue by sending these 8 off on a trade outpost to get what I want and then wait for the Fuel Compressors to fill up and started over. With 8 Hydrazine, I could get 8 common resources of my choice, 4 uncommon, 2 refined/hydrazine, and 1 rare . Did this for about 10 mins and Have nearly 2 full inventories of every resource (yes, coal, lithium, and titanium included) as well as every base module and a few fully set up Trucks for a train as well. Something about this needs changing. Luckily I have a few ideas to suggest. First, make the tanks for Hydrazine need to be crafted. If you had to make a tank for them out of say aluminum or eventually iron, I don't know, then they'd keep their purpose but be more difficult to abuse. You could then make it so hydrazine found via mining is gathered in crystaline form and must be "smelted" into a tank to be used that way players can mine hydrazine without the need of bringing tanks along. This would also just make more sense then the hydrazine randomly liquefying and filling a tank that spontaneously came into existence. As for the Trade Platform, I have a few suggestions. First of all, lower rates; it's simply too easy. I think it's currently a 2:1 ratio, but I feel 4:1 would be better suited. Still has a purpose but isn't as exploitable. Also, the rare materials need to be removed from it. What the point of going out to find and mine rare materials if I can just trade for them by either getting free hydrazine or even just going out and mining more common materials and trading them? This seems a bit silly to me; just keep rare things rare. The last thing I have to suggest for this is a power cost. I'm sending a small rocket to trade materials with somewhere and it doesn't use power or fuel of any sort? Seems a bit off.

• Miscellaneous tweaks and changes: just random ideas that don't fit with these other main things.
  • Deconstructing: many times have I built a base module somewhere or printed a vehicle part that I regretted; sometimes I've even just misclicked something. The simple ability to undo these would be nice, though being able to get some of the spent resources back would be nice, too.
  • Waypoint Toggling: simply the ability to toggle the visibility of waypoints and also make it so that if a vehicle is close enough to a base, its waypoint isn't visible; the same with trains vehicles, that way your not looking at something cluttered.
  • Spaceship changes: I think the ability to put 2 storage modules on a Spaceship and then fly it with a habitat is a bit unbalanced and should be changed.
  • Mobile Oxygen Generation: I think vehicles should need some sort of component built on them to generate oxygen rather than just doing it automatically, or need to be connected by tethers as well. It makes sense for a habitat, but why would a Rover do this?
  • Base/Vehicle Damage: from general wear and tear to chunks taken out by large cubes of debris blown around by storms, the player's base and vehicles need to be able to take damage, requiring the player to use resources to repair them.

And now, as for some new ideas: (this is my favorite part :D)

• Suit Modules: this idea would be an update/tweak as well as new content for addons to the player's suit for a better gameplay experience.

At the moment, the player has 2 special slots on the suit that allows the use of power generation as well as just extra storage if desire. My idea calls for two more of these at the bottom of the backpack but would be best if they were all locked from being used to hold resources. You would then have two types of Suit Modules that could be used, the top to slots meant for things like solar panels and generators while the bottom two would have other varied uses. There'd also be a some Suit Modules that could go on the top or bottom slots.

• Power Generation Modules: these would be the same as what is currently in the game, just referencing them for consistency. These would only function in the upper slots limiting the player to two at a time.
  • Jet Pack Module: this would take up both of the bottom module slots, limited to that, and would allow the player to gain a small boost for climbing mountains and exploring caves by pressing and holding the jump button an extra time after jumping or while falling. The first bit of boost would use it's own regenerating power at which point it would beep at the player. If they player continues to boost, it would then start draining from the main power supply or other power sources. Eventually they will then hit their limit and shut off before over heating; a much louder beeping would be used to indicate that this safety procedure is about to happen. This would give the player much more versatility when it comes to traversing terrain but not allow them unlimited movement either. For example, one couldn't build a tower with the terrain tool and line with with tethers and then just fly straight up without stopping, but a tower with a few landing pads to let the jet pack cool down and recharge could do something similar. 
  • Compass Module: this module, only able to attach to an upper slot, would provide the player with a compass on their backpack that would tell them a few details: the direction they're facing, a small terrain map with nearby waypoints shown by pressing C, and also a red blinking light with a beeping to indicate incoming storms of any sort. 
  • Grappling Module: functioning similar in purpose to the Jet Pack Module, the player could equip this module taking up a top slot (only one would be able to be equipped). Simply by pressing G, the player would enter aiming mode where they could point and click to fire a short grappling hook that would attach to terrain or other objects and once attached the player could press and hold G again to retract the grapple which would then pull the player toward the terrain or, if the object is light enough, pull the object toward the player. Similarly to the winch, the player could also walk and drag an object behind them, though they would be slowed, much like when walking during a storm.
  • Storage Module: able to be attached to any of the four slots, this module would simply extend the backpack, giving the player two additional storage slots, at the cost of not being able to use another module in its place. I think this has a fair balance as it would allow the player to forgo other powerful modules to gain more storage space or the other way around.

This is all I have so far, but if I think of more or others suggest more, I'll be sure to update this list!

• Vehicles: I love the module style of vehicles this game has, with the ability to mix and match as you desire, if only there was MORE!!!

First of all, let's cover new parts that the vehicles could have that would be great!

• Mobile Base Module: I actually had this idea before I saw the update notes for 0.2.117.0 so I was super excited when I saw it, but if you're going to add a Vehicle Bay that can be printed on a Truck, why not have all, or at least most, of the other base modules? I know I for one would love being able to shove a Research Station on the back of a Truck and be able scan all the little goodies I find on the road rather than having to try and lug them all the way back to my base. I started carrying around a rogue habitat with some resin just so I could research on the fly to do this, my main save world is a mess! Thinking about this, I'd limit it to the Research Station, Vehicle Bay, Smelter, and maybe the Printer. The other two are a bit much to drag along, especially the Trade Platform.
  • Trailer - Half Rover/Truck: I like training a Truck or two when on the road but sometimes it's a bit much and I'd like a bit less. It can also get a bit clunky when movement comes along so a half of a Rover/Truck that could be printed and attached to a full Rover/Truck at the back like a trailer on a Truck in real life. it could then pivot and turn for better functionality while moving. As it'd take up the back 2 full slots of the main Truck, it'd need to have the same amount of slots as a full Truck would as well, effectively giving you a Truck and a half (all the same for the Rover if desired). This would be a much better version of the Truck in my opinion. I could then have 3 seats in the front for me and my friends, an extended storage in the front part of the trailer with either a crane or even one of the Mobile Base Modules mentioned above! So many possibilities!
  • Two Seat: nothing special here but still useful. Pretty much just a 3 seat but with 2 inventory slots in the middle where the 3rd seat would be. Hey, some people only have one friend! 
  • Vehicle Boosters: much like the Jet Pack Module for the player's suit, this would be a large centralized booster that could be printed onto a Rover or Truck to help make it a bit more maneuverable. By pressing space, it would also use up its own regenerating energy supply before draining from the main batter just like the Jet Pack. It would print on top of the vehicle, taking up all of the slots but giving the same amount of slots in return. The boosters would overhang on the sides and also cover up access to the slot on the front and rear of Rover/Truck (mostly because I can just see the bugs arising when people try to train this thing together). It also would not be possible to print a trailer onto a vehicle with a booster on it for similar reasoning. This idea is for the purpose of fixing the problems of the vehicles getting stuck on pretty much everything that's not flat. Let's face it, the vehicle movement is a bit clunky, but that doesn't mean it needs to be smoothed out. Give the players options! Do you want a vehicle with good maneuverability and limited customization or better customization with lessened maneuverability? You shouldn't get both, that'd make it too easy and boring. Options are always better!
  • Jet Boosters: in the same vein as the previous idea, except a bit different on placement. Rather than having the boosters on the bottom, why not toward the rear? I like to think one crazy Astroneer was out there thinking, "What if I could make this thing go even faster!?" before he altered a preexisting booster to attach to the back end of a Rover or Truck and send it off at record speeds. It would attach to the back end of a Rover or Truck and once again use up the front and rear slots so it cannot be trained nor use a trailer. Pressing F for FAST (or shift if you want to be boring and keep to similar to sprinting), it would function exactly like the previous idea except instead of slowly lifting the vehicle, it would quickly accelerate it. Just remember: gotta go fast!

And now, what everyone want, more vehicles!

• Convoy: the slower and bulkier cousin to the Rover and the Truck; but remember, don't mention his weight, he doesn't like that. Imagine a wider and longer version of the Truck. It would have 3 of the double wide slots like the Truck has instead of 2. It'd be arched similar to the storage upgrades for the Truck except between the 2 double storage slots there would be a flat top part with another double slot; sort of this shape: /‾‾\. It would then taper on either end leaving 2 double slots on either end. Excluding the tapered front and back section, it would be 4 double slot section long, unlike the 2 of the Truck. This vehicle would be behemoth in comparison to the Truck and most to all of the vehicle modules wouldn't work on it. It could be possible to allow the modules to work on it, I'm just afraid of allowing the ability to make the Mobile Base Modules on it as you would be able to have 2 modules on either side, a 3 seat in the front, and a crane in the back. Coupled with the 4 slots along the top that could be used for inventory, this thing could become an entire mobile base, which I believe defeats a lot of the founded mechanics of the game so far. It's an interesting concept but I don't much like it. I pictured the Convoy as more of a large scale storage transport vehicle where, for example, if you want to move to another location on the planet but don't want to make a bunch of trips with a Spaceship and then go the rest of the way. You can then just throw everything onto a Convoy and roll it wherever you want to go.
  • Speeder: picture a smaller Rover except it only has one double slot on top for a seat and then 4 single slots on the sides for inventory or power generation. Simply just a fast and efficient mode of transportation without the potential of storage for just getting around.
  • Mech Suit: now, I'm sure this has likely been suggested elsewhere but I've got my own. Essentially it'd be your standard mech, about twice the size of the player. You'd fit a 1 seat onto it and then it'd have it's own inventory on the back similar to the players except bigger; maybe double the size. Now, one key thing (assuming my suggestion for removing it on all vehicles is not sued), no oxygen generation on this one. It's meant for cave exploration so you'll need tethers as if you were walking. Additionally, you can use all of the player Suit Modules on the Mech Suit as well, albeit some will be a bit limited (for example, the Jet Pack and Grappling modules wouldn't be able to move the Mech Suit as far as easily). The Mech Suit would have double the Suit Module slots, allowing for a lot more customization while exploring. You would also have a special set of upgrades for the arms of the Mech Suit like a small drill, maybe an arm based grappling hook, a dynamite launcher, who knows!? Lastly, the best part, the Mech Suit would not be huge and as such you could pick it up and dock it onto another larger vehicle to transport it. So, you could put it on your Truck, drive your Truck somewhere to a cave and then pull the Mech Suit off and go spelunking.

This is all I have so far, but if I think of more or others suggest more, I'll be sure to update this list!

Base Modules: the module design of the bases is wonderful, but just like the vehicles, imagine if there was more!

• Room: not exactly a module but I'm still putting it here as it's related; essentially an upgraded version of the habitat. It'd be about the size of the Convoy described above except round. The key difference is that you'd be able to go inside and walk around. It'd have a special printer inside which would allow you to make interior modules like backpack storage slots, a suit module printer, beds, changing rooms (letting you change and colorize your suit), etc. There'd also be 8 double slots along the outside of the room. I'm not entirely sure how but it'd have to be made in some special way, possibly by the vehicle bay, or something new entirely. It's purpose would be to form a more permanent hub for a base rather than simply a habitat, which I would see as more of a temporary starter base.
  • Storage Center: sometimes I just need a place to hold a ton of stuff. This would essentially just replace the middle part with 3 additional double slots rotated 90 degrees and would still have the 2 double slots on the sides, expanding it to be able to hold up to 5 storages.
  • Landing Pad: a better more suited place for Shuttles and Spaceships to land and receive maintenance. It'd also have a large canister that could store up to 10 stacks of hydrazine for the purpose of easy fueling of landed crafts. It could also function as an additional place to print parts onto these crafts.
  • Garage: similar to the Landing Pad, vehicles could be docked here to receive maintenance.You'd also be able to print additional parts onto them as well.

4 minutes ago, UnorthodoxTech said:

Reading through this makes me hesitate to suggest changes to anything. It's all so in-depth. ?

Lol, thanks, I put a lot of time into it. But please, if you have any ideas for Suit Modules, Base Modules, or anything really, please share your thoughts. We're all a community together and brainstorming can always help. I'm sure the devs would agree. I've worked on a few small scale games in my time so I can say that there's nothing like sitting together and just tossing ideas around. Right now I'm thinking what other modules and upgrades could be thrown in to make it all better. I've already decided I need to rename the Compass Module to the Radar Module, unfortunately it seems this forum doesn't allow editing after like 30 minutes or so.

This should be the go-to thread for the devs.
And I have to admit I took some points and threw them here and there into other post in order to get some attention on the topics i consider most urgent right now.

I'd like to add something to your grappling module idea: it definitely feels like the grapple beam from metroid, so I think we should go all the way: A beam that consumes power and shoots out of the deformation-tool.

And adding to the list: the crane should get an attachment to grab and move things like alien trees or wrecks for decorative purposes.

I think the idea's are amazing, but I'd like to add to the idea of material stacks & the excavator / drill: Choose which materials you want to / can excavate --> you could switch off materials, for instance organics, so that you won't get any unwanted goods in your backpack while excavating anything.

5 minutes ago, Sonnie97 said:

I think the idea's are amazing, but I'd like to add to the idea of material stacks & the excavator / drill: Choose which materials you want to / can excavate --> you could switch off materials, for instance organics, so that you won't get any unwanted goods in your backpack while excavating anything.

That's actually a terrific idea. I'm pretty tired of having dozens of stacks of organic collected by accident alongside more prioritized resources xD

57 minutes ago, Neekk0 said:

This should be the go-to thread for the devs.
And I have to admit I took some points and threw them here and there into other post in order to get some attention on the topics i consider most urgent right now.

I'd like to add something to your grappling module idea: it definitely feels like the grapple beam from metroid, so I think we should go all the way: A beam that consumes power and shoots out of the deformation-tool.

And adding to the list: the crane should get an attachment to grab and move things like alien trees or wrecks for decorative purposes.

Thanks for that, it means a lot! 

As for your addition, I love the idea of making it an addition to the terrain tool. Maybe we should come up with a few different attachments for the terrain tool that could be effected via an upper Suit Module slot, limiting you to one at a time, where you can toggle between the main terrain tool and the attachment. So, for example, we could now split it into a grappling hook for moving the player and then also have your energy beam tool that, for example, manipulates gravity in order to lift heavy objects, similar to how you lift things magically into the air as a play. You could even require this tool to lift them easily and then change it so the player has to get very close to and drag large objects, forcing them to move slowly. And I've just had an idea, as the players are "Astroneers" I don't really like the idea of having full scale weapons once things like enemies for pve and pvp are added to the game. So, rather than having, say, a gun; why not give the player a Suit Module giving the terrain tool an alternate mode that makes it so the terrain tool makes a ball soil collect and then it can be shot like a cannon in a certain direction. It could also then attach to any terrain it collides with, giving you the ability to form terrain, in a way, outside the basic range of the terrain tool.

And I fully agree that there needs to be a claw/magnet attachment for the crane that would allow you to grab, pick up, and move things. Actually, that'd be a perfect way to allow the player to pick up and move Base modules!!!

Off topic from this, I'd like to encourage anyone and everyone who likes what I've suggested in this post to follow it as well as pop in and leave a comment in the current discussion so that the page does not die out. I want to make sure the devs see this if possible.

• Trains: We could have some sort of train vehicle. Where you build rails in a similar way to teathers (maybe at the printer though) and place them down in a path from your base, to anywhere you need. Then build a train on the vehicle bay, and it would attach to the rails if there close enough, then you activate the train, and it would drive along the rail until the end. If you build storage on the train, it can bring items or research back to you base, or you can have a seat, so you can ride on it to the end or your rails. it would also be useful if you have multiple bases on the same planet, so you can easily transerfer mass amounts of resources. If you wanted, you could also build multiple trains on the same rain system, and send them all down the line e.g. i have a mine where ive found 10 research modules, so i send 3 trains with storage from my base to my mine, then load the trains up with the research and send them all back.
  • Computer chips: An end-game item that would allow vehicles to operate themselves e.g. a rover could autoatically drive to a beacon, or back to the base if you left it out somewhere. Or a shuttle could fly between bases without needing a pilot. Maybe even have an automatic drilling truck, that would go out and find a few stacks or a set resource and come back to base

1 hour ago, Sonnie97 said:

Okay, awesome! A Suit Module and then maybe something that attaches to the 2 slots on the side of the crane that allows you to indicate one type of material to ignore per modules at a max of 2 modules. The ones for the suit aren't as huge as you could just toss away the unwanted ones but a filter module for the crane/drill would be amazing. I just thought about it though. What if it was just that, a filter. Have it attach to a double slot like where a drill head does and then have the drill head attach to it further and then you can indicate what you'd like to have filtered.

26 minutes ago, Ninja4848 said:
  • Trains: We could have some sort of train vehicle. Where you build rails in a similar way to teathers (maybe at the printer though) and place them down in a path from your base, to anywhere you need. Then build a train on the vehicle bay, and it would attach to the rails if there close enough, then you activate the train, and it would drive along the rail until the end. If you build storage on the train, it can bring items or research back to you base, or you can have a seat, so you can ride on it to the end or your rails. it would also be useful if you have multiple bases on the same planet, so you can easily transerfer mass amounts of resources. If you wanted, you could also build multiple trains on the same rain system, and send them all down the line e.g. i have a mine where ive found 10 research modules, so i send 3 trains with storage from my base to my mine, then load the trains up with the research and send them all back.
  • Computer chips: An end-game item that would allow vehicles to operate themselves e.g. a rover could autoatically drive to a beacon, or back to the base if you left it out somewhere. Or a shuttle could fly between bases without needing a pilot. Maybe even have an automatic drilling truck, that would go out and find a few stacks or a set resource and come back to base

Oh, yeah, a train/cart system would be great. The ability to just send them along back to your main base with things you've gathered would be great. I like that idea of linking them like tethers. Maybe have them be a big energy line and the "train/cart" follows along that and only has storage modules that way you cannot use it for personal transportation. 

As for the computer chips idea, I feel like the train defeats the purpose of most of it, though I do like the idea of a direct base to base shuttle service. Maybe make a small module that has a shuttle on it and when you get in it you can then click a button to zoom out to the orbital view like when in a spaceship and then you can select from other shuttle modules made on the planet. It'd be limited to only places you built at before, but still would be a great way to quickly travel.

7 hours ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

First of all, I want to thank System Era for this amazing game. I've been following it for a while and have been very interested. I've only just recently gotten to play because my old computer rig I got from back in like 2010 (lol, yeah, forever to upgrade I know) could not handle it, but I've played a ton since I started and have pretty much done most everything there is to do and I've either watched others play or read about the rest there is that the alpha has to offer. Once again, thank you so much for this game and I look forward to the future of Astroneer. I'd also like to invite @SES_Adam to come take a look at this as I think he might enjoy what he sees.

For everyone else out there, I want to apologize if there's something in here I suggest that has already been suggested else where. I don't have the time to look through every post and make sure I'm not duplicating any ideas and I just have a lot to say so I'd rather just cover all the bases anyway. Just remember I'm not trying to steal your thunder. If you have an idea that you submitted that I put on here, feel free to let me know and share a link and I'd love to go comment, upvote, and share support. After all, we're in this together! 

Much the same, if you read through this, please go down and leave a comment and let me know. I need all the support I can get to make sure the devs see this and we can make Astroneer even better than it is! Thank you so much for taking the time to come in and have a look, I hope you like what you see!

If you have another idea that goes along with anything I've posted here or even a better way to implement one of my own, please share it with me in the comments! I'd love to hear your feedback!

Now, as for some quality of life ideas:

• First of all, Generators: they're currently not up to snuff when it comes to power output, especially the larger coal variant. 

• Inventory tweaks: there's a few changes to inventory management that I think would be quite nice to have.

• FUEL COMPRESSORS AND TRADE OUTPOSTS: oh do these need to be nerfed. (Note: This is based off my gameplay before updating to 0.2.117.0, but I still think these fixes would be better than the current ones so I'm keeping it in)

• Miscellaneous tweaks and changes: just random ideas that don't fit with these other main things.

And now, as for some new ideas: (this is my favorite part :D)

• Suit Modules: this idea would be an update/tweak as well as new content for addons to the player's suit for a better gameplay experience.

• Vehicles: I love the module style of vehicles this game has, with the ability to mix and match as you desire, if only there was MORE!!!

Base Modules: the module design of the bases is wonderful, but just like the vehicles, imagine if there waore!

I really love the idea of deconstructing! I have experienced it already and am waiting for a Deconstructing update so I can complete my design, I have a really nice design in mind but a mistake I made needs to be deconstructed before I can complete the design. So for now I'm just in Barren gathering Coal and Lithium so I can create a little area with generators and batteries.

8 minutes ago, TheHomeBaseDesigner said:

I really love the idea of deconstructing! I have experienced it already and am waiting for a Deconstructing update so I can complete my design, I have a really nice design in mind but a mistake I made needs to be deconstructed before I can complete the design. So for now I'm just in Barren gathering Coal and Lithium so I can create a little area with generators and batteries.

Yeah, it'd be a great addition to game. I wouldn't get too attached to your base design, this is a pre-alpha game so I guarantee that yours and all of out save files will be lost eventually. How about some of my other ideas; anything stick out as something you'd like to see or is there anything you'd like to add?

Edited by Azrael the Sorrowful

Just an addition to add to the main post from talking with people on here and other threads:

Oxygen: it's too easy to come by and needs to have a risk reward system.

So, one thing that makes this game too easy is oxygen. Compound is extremely easy to find and with enough time and compound, one can easily make even the most treacherous caves not difficult at all. This easy is extend once to make a vehicle, as it makes it even easier.

• Oxygen Generation: things should not generate oxygen for free. My idea is to have the Habitat that you launch from at the start of the game to now have a large tank of oxygen; let's say it has enough for 1 player to last 30 minutes. You should then have to make a Base Module or maybe even something from the printer that consumes power to generate oxygen. You can explain how it does it however you'd, maybe it takes it from the air, the ground, etc. This would make the beginning of the game quite intense and I think the added intensity would push the early game on much better. You'd have to quickly expand your starting base to not only have an oxygen collector but a power source to supply it.
  • Tethers, Oxygen, and Range: tethers just make the game too easy. The fact that I could, if I had the patience, run a line of tethers all the way around the planet with no limitation is a bit ludicrous. I'd say that the basic range of a line of tethers from an oxygen collector be about 50 fully spaced out tethers. That gives you plenty of space to explore out from your main base and would then require you to either take vehicles to go further or make some other sort of way to survive for an extended time past that point.
  • Oxygen and Vehicles: alright, this one makes no sense to me, and I stated it in the post above; why do vehicles arbitrarily generate oxygen for free? What if you had to print off a large tank and a small vehicle sized oxygen collector could then power on the go. This would add to the requirements of vehicles for long range travel and also balance things out. You couldn't just go anywhere. You'd need to have a tank (I'd say 15 minutes of oxygen per person per tank sounds fine), an oxygen collector to refill the tank on the go, and a power source to not only power the vehicle (which in all honesty should consume less power as you travel) but also to power the oxygen collector. This would also make it so that smaller vehicles would be more for limited distance travel while larger ones would be designed for large scale travel. If this is meant to be a exploration/survival game, which it clearly is, then it should take some doing to survive the harshness of space as well as alien worlds.

Suit Modules, Vehicles, and Vehicle parts: talking with some people, I had some changes and additions to these.

Okay, so, some ideas changed on the Grappling Module and turned into a few new Suit Modules that can be used. All of these modules are limited to one equipped at a time, take up an upper slot, and effect the terrain tool. They would give your terrain tool an alternate mode that you could toggle to by pressing a key. You could then toggle back if desired.

• Grappling Tool Module: this would pretty much be the grappling tool as explain above in the main post except you wouldn't be able to easily drag small objects along with you, you're not He-Man. Instead it'd be used mostly for climbing and spelunking.
  • Gravity Tool Module: this one is stemmed from an idea sparked from @Neekk0. Essentially you'd have a beam that came out from your terrain tool that attempted to grab on to things and could lift them in the air. This would allow the player to move large objects as well as research discoveries and even very large objects printed by the Printer Base Module. This would function very similar to what happens if a player simply clicks these objects now. They begin to magically float in the air. So, instead, you would need this tool upgrade to be able to do this. Then, when you attempt to pick up these objects manually without the tool, you'd have to literally walk up to the object and choose to carry it. This would slow you down and be a bit annoying, but still viable. It'd also fix the problem with the ability to "juggle" a few research objects to carry them around easier, making you need this tool to do that.
  • Chunk Tool Module: as "Astroneers" I don't really like the idea of giving them guns outright. It seems to kind of defeat the vibe of explorers trying to brave the unknown to me. However, this does of course pose a problem once enemy based PVE and PVP are added, as I'm sure they will be. But, what if I was to give you a tool that could have a functional purpose outside of combat but could also be used in combat? Well, look no further! This tool upgrade would allow the player to generate chunks of collected terrain at the head of the terrain tool, which would ball up until reaching a maximum size. At any point, the player could then press an assigned key to launch the chunk of terrain in the direction the tool is pointed. If it collides with other terrain, it would then settle; this would allow the player to form terrain outside the normal range of their tool. However, if the terrain collides with an enemy or another player, well, that'd really hurt wouldn't it? 
  • Resource Filter Module: have you ever gone about mining and ended up with some organic or another resource you didn't want or need? I know I have. Well, imagine if you could equip a filter to your terrain tool that would make it so once a full stack of that resource is made, it simply drops it rather than adding it to your backpack and giving you the hassle of removing it.

Here are some miscellaneous vehicle parts that could pose useful.

• Crane Claw/Magnet: I feel like the crane could have more uses than just mining with a drill head. What if you were able to attach a magnetic claw that would allow you to grab on to and move large objects, even Base Modules!? This could allow you to do some pretty nice things: from reorganizing your base, grabbing broken satellites and other debris that could possibly be taken back to your base to be smelted down, or even grabbing large rocks and other things to move them and clear paths. 
  • Drill Filter: I've touched on this subject in my main post and while I still think those changes should be made, I'd love this to be added, too. This would be a double slot attachment that would attach to a truck or a crane and have 2 "slots" on either side as well as another double slot on the other side for the drill to attach. The 2 "slots", as I mentioned, on the side would be where you could indicate what resources you want filtered and stacks of these resources would drop from here once full.

Now some vehicles, everyone loves these.

• Trains/Carts: the amount of times I've been far away from my base and had to go all the way back to drop off a bunch of resources or some research chunks just to drive back and load up more has become concerning. For simply ferrying these to your base or even ferrying a bunch of stuff to a mine for building/restock purposes, this should be easier. In a fashion similar to tethers, I'd like to be able to make some sort of "pylon" that connects together with an energy tether. Really I only want it to look like that because it sounds cool; a railroad could work, too. Though, I do think the more futuristic look fits better and would make it so you don't have to form the terrain flat for a railroad. Anyway, you could then print carts that have only inventory slots to the travel from one end of the pylon chain to another. This would be limited to resources and other things as the energy is highly dangerous for people. Another thing to note, these pylons would be rather large. You couldn't just craft a stack on your backpack and just drop them like tethers. You'd need to print each one off individually and place them where you want them. If you had the Printer as a Mobile Base Module, you could even print them on the fly with a truck for example.
  • Ferry Shuttle: this would likely be better as its own Base Module, but I'm putting it here as it could work as a vehicle that you need to place on its own landing pad as well. This Ferry would function very similarly to when a Shuttle/Spaceship is in orbit above a planet except it cannot go to other planets or even the indicated landing zones. It could only travel to other landing pads made by the player. This is meant to be a quick and easy way to transport the player from one base to another on the same planet. It would require some sort of fuel, power/hydrazine doesn't matter, and would use a certain amount based off the distance of travel desired. It'd also have limitations. You couldn't just fly to the other side of the planet. You could maybe make a chain of 10 bases to do this, but you'd have to fly from one to another and then another and so on. 

I think these are some great ideas, but if I may add the usage of weapons to the list. (Since this has the most views developers might look at it) I think modular weapons would be awesome to add to the game because there's no way to fight other players. Also, add in NPC (including monsters) to fight! :D

1 minute ago, Atomosie said:

I think these are some great ideas, but if I may add the usage of weapons to the list. (Since this has the most views developers might look at it) I think modular weapons would be awesome to add to the game because there's no way to fight other players. Also, add in NPC (including monsters) to fight! :D

See, I have to disagree. They're Astronaut Engineers, Astroneers, not soldiers. Weapons break the the atmosphere of the game, in my opinion. I've suggested in my previous post a way to create a terrain tool upgrade that could also function as an impromptu weapon if needed. I like the idea of something like Dead Space where you don't use guns, you use Engineer tools as makeshift weapons.

3 minutes ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

See, I have to disagree. They're Astronaut Engineers, Astroneers, not soldiers. Weapons break the the atmosphere of the game, in my opinion. I've suggested in my previous post a way to create a terrain tool upgrade that could also function as an impromptu weapon if needed. I like the idea of something like Dead Space where you don't use guns, you use Engineer tools as makeshift weapons.

I strongly agree with this. Though, I'm sure the devs will make the take the best course of action while adding more features and mechanics so as not to change the atmosphere too drastically.

13 hours ago, UnorthodoxTech said:

I strongly agree with this. Though, I'm sure the devs will make the take the best course of action while adding more features and mechanics so as not to change the atmosphere too drastically.

Yeah, I hope they keep to the same stylistic theme so far. Like, I'm not against guns, but I feel they just don't fit the intrepid adventurer vibe that the game has. I think it'd be fun to brainstorm ideas for different impromptu/makeshift weapons from different tools that could be just. Like, he's a simple one: what if using your terrain tool in reverse, where it starts shooting out particles of terrain, did small wide spread damage? It'd be really interesting if they AI of the creatures was done well enough that they could react to and retreat from it. It'd also bring up an interesting concept, because, at the moment, the terrain tool can infinitely shape terrain. I think it should only be able to store up a certain amount and therefore only be able to discharge a certain amount.

So, with the trade outpost, I think there should be a "stock" that can run out of specific materials quickly and will replenish perhaps one of every material every day/night cycle. It should also have a max of each material, perhaps 8 per type. (Sorry if I repeated/stole someone else's idea that they already posted)

39 minutes ago, iamdarkbowser said:

So, with the trade outpost, I think there should be a "stock" that can run out of specific materials quickly and will replenish perhaps one of every material every day/night cycle. It should also have a max of each material, perhaps 8 per type. (Sorry if I repeated/stole someone else's idea that they already posted)

Oh, that's good! You could also have supply and demand that varies from day to day, making certain resources worth more or less slightly when you trade rather than set ratios. Oh, I like this a lot!

12 minutes ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

Oh, that's good! You could also have supply and demand that varies from day to day, making certain resources worth more or less slightly when you trade rather than set ratios. Oh, I like this a lot!

Thank you, I do like the variation idea that you had there but you would have to check it, eh it would make the trade outpost less OP.

1 hour ago, iamdarkbowser said:

This is really an interesting idea, I suppose it could act as the norm for a few updates until the direction of the in-game economy is confirmed. Hadn't devs said they'd eventually incorporate a player-controlled economy?

30 minutes ago, UnorthodoxTech said:

This is really an interesting idea, I suppose it could act as the norm for a few updates until the direction of the in-game economy is confirmed. Hadn't devs said they'd eventually incorporate a player-controlled economy?

I'm not sure, but it isn't really needed. What I'm getting at is that for example, on the last build I played on, it was 1 hydrazine for 1 compound for example. What if that fluctuated so sometimes instead of 1:1 it's 2:1 or 1:2? So, depending on a varying cycle, you could get 2 compounds for 1 hydrazine or maybe even need 2 hydrazine for 1 compund, or it may just stay the normal 1 for 1.

6 minutes ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

I'm not sure, but it isn't really needed. What I'm getting at is that for example, on the last build I played on, it was 1 hydrazine for 1 compound for example. What if that fluctuated so sometimes instead of 1:1 it's 2:1 or 1:2? So, depending on a varying cycle, you could get 2 compounds for 1 hydrazine or maybe even need 2 hydrazine for 1 compund, or it may just stay the normal 1 for 1.

Yea, that would be a neat change. Supply and demand constantly fluctuating would mean you can't just stockpile one thing and never have to hunt for material another day of your life?

Just now, UnorthodoxTech said:

Yea, that would be a neat change. Supply and demand constantly fluctuating would mean you can't just stockpile one thing and never have to hunt for material another day of your life?

Exactly, it also means you can't just easily use hydrazine to get everything. I also think they need to not only entirely remove rare resources (and higher if something more is added) from the trade platform but they also need to remove ores. There's literally no point of trading for copper or aluminum as you can just get twice as much malachite or laterite and smelt it, and if you think about it, it doesn't make much sense anyway. Why would you be able to trade for unprocessed ore. That'd be like going to Home Depot and buying large chunks of uncut lumber to take home and refine yourself. That's generally not how businesses work.

11 minutes ago, Azrael the Sorrowful said:

Exactly, it also means you can't just easily use hydrazine to get everything. I also think they need to not only entirely remove rare resources (and higher if something more is added) from the trade platform but they also need to remove ores. There's literally no point of trading for copper or aluminum as you can just get twice as much malachite or laterite and smelt it, and if you think about it, it doesn't make much sense anyway. Why would you be able to trade for unprocessed ore. That'd be like going to Home Depot and buying large chunks of uncut lumber to take home and refine yourself. That's generally not how businesses work.

Well, that's understandable. Though it would make sense to sell unrefined ore to refineries -- but that isn't an option in this case xD

To be honest, there's not much point in trading considering the ease of access of practically all existing resources (I personally think they're easy to find -- unless you're far too lazy to leave camp). But really, there's no benefit from trading currently. Maybe if there were specialty items or even daily requests/collection missions from whosoever is buying our product, right? Our shady corporate overlords certainly get more hydrazine from us than they know what to do with.;)