AbeH

Resource Transportation

Well, I'm sure its been suggested already but I feel that it would be great if there was like a minecart/rail system implemented. It would make mining easier and it would be pretty cool to establish a mining network across a planet. Feel free to build on this idea guys by replying to this thread if you think this would be a cool feature. Either way this is such an amazing game and I look forward to the future of Astroneer.

Edited by AbeH

4 hours ago, AbeH said:

Well, I'm sure its been suggested already but I feel that it would be great if there was like a minecart/rail system implemented. It would make mining easier and it would be pretty cool to establish a mining network across a planet. Feel free to build on this idea guys by replying to this thread if you think this would be a cool feature. Either way this is such an amazing game and I look forward to the future of Astroneer.

What do you guys think of this idea?

I would like to see some kind of material pipeline for stacks and such but it really should not replace manual driving and moving of bigger objects like the fruits and storage, etc..

Rails and transportation-bands could prove really rigid but the big hoses that come out of the drop-ship  are flexible and make sense in a game about terrain deformation!

15 hours ago, Neekk0 said:

I would like to see some kind of material pipeline for stacks and such but it really should not replace manual driving and moving of bigger objects like the fruits and storage, etc..

Rails and transportation-bands could prove really rigid but the big hoses that come out of the drop-ship  are flexible and make sense in a game about terrain deformation!

Yea I suppose it would be pretty altering with rails, the pipeline thing does sound alot better.

You can already do something similar to that.

Build a truck and use your printer to create storage panels and a seat (don't create a seat using the Vehicle bay thing, make seats using your printer because you can move these around) and add them to your truck. Then move your truck out of the way and create another truck but don't create a seat for it using the vehicle maker. Make one more seat using the printer and add it to truck #2. Move it to close enough to the back of your first truck and using the hose module in front, tether it to the back of your truck. Remove the seat from truck #2 and replace it with other storage modules until full. Repeat until you have a train of carts with storage panels like a train. Your truck in front, the one with the seat, will be able to pull all the other trucks behind you.

And you have yourself a train cart, basically. You can add research pods to them and other resources you find along the way. You should also be able to add a solar panel to the front of your first truck in order to get power as you go as well as a wind turbine to the back of the very last cart.

Then, when each storage panel is full, you can just drop them off at home and print more storage panels.

Edited by Lalait

Instead of a railway system as proposed, what about something a bit more sci-fi, such as a giant hose being dragged down into the caves. The hose would have a large suction, meaning that any items placed close to the tail would immediately be sucked into it and transported to the pump somewhere. :)

I feel that this fits the atmosphere better than a railway, and has the dynamic and stylistic approach that the game has.

Edited by migi0027

I was going to post about this , is ridiculous when you have to juggle the research objects around kilometers of caves trying to get to your base, some kind of conveyor that doesn't provide oxygen or light ( maybe an updated version of the conveyor can do it and we get rid of the tethers) or some kind of teleporter  just for the research objects.

26 minutes ago, Astronoob said:

I was going to post about this , is ridiculous when you have to juggle the research objects around kilometers of caves trying to get to your base, some kind of conveyor that doesn't provide oxygen or light ( maybe an updated version of the conveyor can do it and we get rid of the tethers) or some kind of teleporter  just for the research objects.

I honestly enjoy transporting that up with a rover or something. xD