Astroneer using tons of CPU, freezing before menu loads

bklolo

Hi, I'm having trouble with Astroneer starting. I've searched around and no solutions seem to fix my problem. It's gotten to the main menu twice out of a dozen times, but I haven't been able to click anything because it just continues to "load". 

1 minute ago, bklolo said:

Hi, I'm having trouble with Astroneer starting. I've searched around and no solutions seem to fix my problem. It's gotten to the main menu twice out of a dozen times, but I haven't been able to click anything because it just continues to "load". 

Can you post your PC specs (cpu, ram, gpu) and also OS and platform you're playing (W10 or Steam).

Also, a crash log would be very usefull to identify the cause: It can be found here --> C:\Users\(your user directory)\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\Logs

Win10, downloaded via Steam, specs are attached

specs.png

Edit: No logs, as I just downloaded this game today!

Edited by bklolo

Just now, bklolo said:

Win10, downloaded via Steam, specs are attached

specs.png

My best guess is that the GPU is the issue. It barely meets requirements.

Can you get the Astro crash log as well, that can confirm if this is the problem or not.

Note, your GPU is integrated, so you'll lose CPU power when using it, especially in a game that's not optimized.

Also, your driver is very old, released 24th August 2015. Might want to update that and perform another test.

The crash log was empty, the game hasn't crashed it just sits and loads forever until I manually end the process. I'll update the driver and see how that goes.  Thanks for the amazing response!

Unfortunately the GPU does not meet the minimum requirements. Astroneer has still not been optimized to quite run on integrated Intel GPUs. You could try to update your graphics driver in case that improves things (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26404/Intel-Graphics-Driver-15-45-). But, we do encourage you to get a refund on Steam if you continue to have HW issues. 

That's unfortunate. I've asked for a refund. Thanks for everything, very helpful and fast to respond.

its not about gpu issures, a lot of people with high end graphic cards having hard fps drop after some hours playing, its about memory ram alocated, pls I need a better programed game

system era selled about 300k astroneer copys, 

Hire new game programmer

Edited by petermileo

Are you volunteering then?

I don't think it is RAM related - it is probably down to CPU load.

I have been tracking the amount of RAM and VRAM used as the game begins to struggle to keep the VSYNC 62fps (PC Steam) and I am finding that the VRAM is almost always constant at around 825Mb and the RAM only climbs dramatically if you explore. A clean save uses 1.6Gb of RAM. After a decent explore well out of sight of the base in a couple of directions RAM peaks at about 3.2Gb but will drop back to about 2.4Gb if you save and reload.

It seems to me that once you get past a modest base of, say 3 solar, 3 wind, about other five modules and a couple of stacks of tethers deployed, you are likely to encounter the CPU-related lag.

Given my 4770K at 4.4GHz, 780ti overclocked by about 20%, 32Gb 1600MHz DDR3 and 2560x1440, a fresh save starts at 62fps, 11% CPU (of the 4C/8T processor) and 80% GPU. As you begin to base build, FPS stays at 62fps, CPU climbs to 24% and GPU climbs to 85%. That is about as busy as the GPU gets. Once you tip over the edge while exploring and base building and FPS begins to drop, the CPU continues to climb to about 36% (well over one single CPU core now) but the GPU drops off to about 75%. VRAM remains constant and RAM only creeps up until a save/exit.