Suit, Backpack, & Terrain Tool Researchable Upgrades

I made some research concepts that I thought would be pretty cool.

Basically, we are able to upgrade our Suit, Backpack, and Terrain Tool through research, and then select one upgrade per category to enable based on the scenario. Each upgrade has pros and cons when compared to the other upgrade option counterparts.

For example:
- I could upgrade my Backpack to have a toxic filter (pro), but the oxygen tank capacity is decreased (con). 
- If I'm doing heavy exploring with no tethers, I could opt for a larger tank with more oxygen to roam more before needing to return to base (pro), but my move speed is decreased (con).

Enjoy!

01_Astroneer_SpaceSuit.png

02_Astroneer_Backpack.png

03_Astroneer_TerrainTool.png

Edited by DX@steam

I was thinking the same for the terrain tool - controlling the aperture for more precise sculpting.  Maybe make it a more advanced version of the tool which automatically becomes available after obtaining a specific research.

I suspect that "Terrain Sculpting" will become an Astroneer sport.

4 hours ago, RockMason said:

I was thinking the same for the terrain tool - controlling the aperture for more precise sculpting.  Maybe make it a more advanced version of the tool which automatically becomes available after obtaining a specific research.

I suspect that "Terrain Sculpting" will become an Astroneer sport.

this ideal I believe is being looked at

On 1/13/2017 at 4:51 PM, RockMason said:

Hah, yeah -- the process you've described it is how I envisioned most of these being unlocked, with the ones denoted as Default are what are currently in the game.

One thing I had been thinking of for the backpack is to research for a sort of tetris-L-shaped bracket or item that would attach to the top two slots on the shoulders (Where the solar panels click to) that add 4 inventory slots to the side you put them on to, expanding your inventory at the cost of losing the 'active' slot for the solar panels.

O_________O                     __X______________X__
  │ O │ O │                      │ O ││ O │ O ││ O │  
   --------------      Into --->     ----------------------------------

The vacuum and armour/boots ideas are very cool as well and I feel as though they would be an interesting addition.

On 1/14/2017 at 7:08 PM, missing1eyebrow said:

One thing I had been thinking of for the backpack is to research for a sort of tetris-L-shaped bracket or item that would attach to the top two slots on the shoulders (Where the solar panels click to) that add 4 inventory slots to the side you put them on to, expanding your inventory at the cost of losing the 'active' slot for the solar panels.

O_________O                     __X______________X__
   --------------      Into --->     ----------------------------------

Oh yah, neat -- I didn't think about expanding it from the sides this way, hah.

Offtopic, I have a few more ideas in this theme that I'll illustrate soon. Stay tuned.

I like these. I really want to be able to upgrade my terrain tool (I've been calling it the terraformer all this time lol) so that I can terraform faster.

I posted this on steam a while ago, and it's starting to pick up heat over there.Looks like people are really into the Terrain Terrain tool upgrade idea.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2017 at 11:47 AM, DX@steam said:

Oh yah, neat -- I didn't think about expanding it from the sides this way, hah.

Offtopic, I have a few more ideas in this theme that I'll illustrate soon. Stay tuned.

Like so (Sorry for mspaint, I don't have graphic design software)

Untitled.png