JJATH

[Merged] Game Freezes

8 minutes ago, mortinusu said:

Yea that's what I meant when I said checked all sounds. No enhancements whatsoever, straight default sound.

Do you have any kind of sound software installed at all like Creative's Control Panel or Soundblaster's Control Panel?

Game freezing upon what I assume is loading of new area...had the freeze with the tethers havn't used any since

AMD 3.1 quad core

8 gigs of Ram

Nvidia 960 gtx

Win 10

Steam Client

Edited by Astrophoenix

Same problem here as well. I can't see a pattern as to why it happens. I have had it in various places after various amounts of time playing.

10 minutes ago, Pembo said:

Same problem here as well. I can't see a pattern as to why it happens. I have had it in various places after various amounts of time playing.

I can play for a half hour sometimes and on another load it will crash after a minute, nothing I do seems to make a difference.

10 minutes ago, Pembo said:

Same, its getting very annoying. I don't usually look to post about crashes, freezes, or bugs unless its obnoxious to the point that I can't play the game without anxiety that it could freeze any second while doing anything. Last time I was 2 feet away from my pod about to save with a full backpack from a cave.

2 hours ago, Vorel said:

The same thing happened to me, but I'm more than positive swapping PhysX to CPU fixes the terrain tool freeze. Any time I'm digging around I don't freeze, just when I move my camera quick. Also there's another bug with the camera itself. Randomly it will do a 180 when inside a vehicle.

Now that I've tried it again it hasn't froze for me while digging. It still freezes randomly though.

So basically I heard some people talking about how the CPU usage of astroneer seems to drop significantly upon the game freezing, and as I've been experiencing multiple freezes I decided to test it out.

I'm already having issues with framerate, averaging about 15fps with a maximum of 20fps and a minimum of about 7fps, specs:

CPU - Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G645 @ 2.90GHz (I know I know, not great)
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 6670
8GB RAM 
Windows 7 
Direct X11

It seems that upon using the deformation tool I frequently crash/freeze and am forced to use task manager in order to end the process. I decided to run the resource monitor in the hopes that I'd be able to capture the moment when I crashed, and this is what happened: 

https://gyazo.com/026c3da0b86aee9299bf835d64c4bee0

https://gyazo.com/1081f369e46da57e53e005ac8188bbf6

Whilst the gif only lasts for a short period, the Average percentage of CPU usage by Astroneer (which can be seen to be dropping ever since the freeze) in actuality dropped from around 60 down all the way to 9-10.

Just thought that was quite interesting. From what I've played I love the game, but it's a real shame that I'm not really able to play the game at an adequate level. 

unfortunately, same here. AMD processor. Game would freeze upon hitting the surface, but i restarted steam as recommended and it got a lot better... managed to build 2 platforms. but im trying to get a little further out to look for resources and i place 2 or 3 tethers and then the frames hit again. not really playable for me at the moment i guess. I will hang on and be very patient for optimization updates, i think its a really cool looking game and i love that the devs went for the lower price point, making it accessible to many, i think that had a lot to do with minecraft's success. Make this sucker run like butter on even slower systems, and youll have a real winner here.

System specs: AMD FX-4300 quad core, 16 gig ram, AMD Radeon RX 460 (2 Gig) video, Windows 10 OS.

I was initially freezing every 30 seconds or so.    Either -nosound or manually killing the Realtek HD audio manager process (suggestions from another page here) gets that up to about 5-10 minutes; but it still eventually freezes.

No crashes, so no crash report; just stuck looking at the same screen until I kill the process.  I've seen 15-25% CPU usage on the process, or sometimes 0%, but no response back from the game even giving it a couple minutes....

No rhyme or reason as to what I'm doing when this happens.  Entering the pod manually saves, and that works fine, so it doesn't seem saving related.  Usually I have my mining tool working; but that's true for most of the start of the game; so not sure if that's relevant or not.  Sometimes mining, sometimes flattening/filling.

If there is something else you'd like to know; let me know what it is.

Thanks,
Gekkobear

The game is not actually crashing, it just freezes and requires me to end it in the Task Manager.

This happens most often when using the terrain deform tool but has also happened while walking, 3D printing, and moving objects around.

Also, I am unable to load saved games. When I try, I get booted back to the page that explains that Astroneer is early access and will have bugs. Then the game freezes.

Both of these problems basically make the game unplayable since the freezing happens anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes into a session. If I am lucky enough to get a save in there, I can't load it afterwards.

DxDiag.txt

i don't know how I would provide content on this glitch cause I can only do pictures so I'm sorry that I don't have much to help but this is really annoying I can't use the rover at all. Thanks for the help love the game otherwise.

I have a AMD A10-6800k, 8GB ddr3 ram, Radeon 7850 GPU. I don't know what it is that causes the game to run so poorly, but i get constant frame rate drops, as well as sound that constantly sounds like it's clipping, as if someone turned the gain to maximum. Along with that, i can't make any progress because the game constantly freezes, especially when using the harvesting tool. I just got this game today, and I'm really hoping this is fixed soon. I restarted steam to make sure the bug fixes and latest updates were in, but it doesn't seem to be working anyways. I don't know what files to send in order to show the game logs, so if you guys need that (as i assume you do), please let me know how to do that so that this gets fixed ASAP

First off - I know that many people have reported the same. But alot of them are also using AMD, which im not.
The specs of my (gaming-) laptop can be found below (note that im using Windows 10).

My game is basically like russian roulette played over and over again.
Sometimes it crashes a few seconds after launch, sometimes I got to play over half an hour before it gave up.
It also often crashes when getting into a rover or spaceship.

PC-Specs:
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GE70-2OC.html#hero-specification

Edited by AnuBius

On Steam v0.2.90.0:  During play, Lag becomes progressively worse leading to stalls that last for a few moments to freeze that lasts >5min.

Previously v0.2.89.0: The game would eventually return from stalls to very lagy  -but not freeze/lock for >5min.

System: AMD A10-5700 | 32G PC3 12800 | GTX980(4G)
Attached(MiniDump, DxDiag,WinAudit)

GrepZen_WinAudit_20161217.html

GrepZen_DxDiag_20161217a.txt

Astro-Win64-Shipping(minidmp)GrepZen20161217.DMP

Edited by Wyvyrias
Merged Topics

I had a similar issue, but a little worse. Before the update I would lag, freeze for a minute, return to game for 20-30 minutes, repeat. After the update, I still get the freezing from time to time, but now it crashes to desktop more often.

Core i7 -860 2.8Ghz
DDR3 8GB
GTX 980 ti 6GB

DxDiag.txt

I'm playing on PC using steam and mouse/keyboard. When I'm running around the planet and drop a short distance the game will often freeze. This makes it difficult to get much progress made :) This happens in holes that I've dug and in naturally occurring holes. 

Having this issue too, I have an AMD FX 8350 and GTX 970.

Is this issue happening on Maxwell Architecture GPUs?

When it happens everything freezes (including Windows 7), is this a memory leak?