Hey guys, the game is amazing so far. I honestly feel like System Era is going to be a massive success in the future. However, with that being said I would like to add a little reminder. I hope it doesn't come off sounding rude or anything, but I'll get to the point. 

When you guys are big money game devs, can you try to not forget about us? I don't mean the players of this game specifically. I mean the fans and supporters of System Era as a whole. You guys are doing an amazing job at keeping contact with players, and listening to our ideas right now. When you guys become a large company, I don't want that quality to disappear. I don't know you guys personally, so I have no idea if this is even relevant to you at all. But I hope in the future, that I'm sure will bring you many successes, you guys continue hearing us as you progress. This wasn't worded nearly as well as I had intended, I hope the message wasn't lost because of it.

I hope this didn't annoy you all.

Keep up the great work you guys!

@BshonGaming I was going to say something that was on behalf of the studio, but instead I'll speak personally and you can assume the rest of the team feels this way.

I appreciate the sentiment that we'll be "successful". Given the reaction to the game, we already feel that way; People are playing our game in spite of its early-in-development issues and are understanding exactly what it is they're playing. And those who don't quite understand the status of the game are being informed, in a very friendly way, by those in the community who do. It is for those reasons we feel we're "successful" already. We've already established a connection between our small team and those in the community who are coming along for the journey.

Community is super important to me. Anyone who has known me well before I ever started System Era with Paul and the other fellas knows I've been involved in community and community management for years all while working as a professional game developer. Our relationship as dev's of this game to the people who are playing it is pretty much my own personal top priority. As far as I'm concerned our team is the 6 or so of us at System Era and the hundreds of thousands of you playing it and giving us feedback. We'll be honest and open with anyone who cares to read it so long as the players are honest and open with us about they're experiences with the game, other Astroneer's, and the team here at System Era.

Fast forward to 2 years, 5 years, and I don't see this every changing. In fact I see it being a completely integrated part of the 'experience' people have when being apart of the Astroneer community and the experience we have as the team making it. I may even look at hiring additional artists just so I can focus on this full-time, its that important to me and the rest of the team.

This may seem like marketing jargon or superficial "community, yay!" bullshit you see from other developers - and I would understand that opinion because I've felt that way myself with other devs - so the best I will do is reiterate that this is important to me and to the team, and if you give me... give us a chance we'd love to prove that to you. And hey, I'll tell you what. If you ever feel we're slipping on this or not doing a good enough job maintaining this relationship send me an email directly: adamATsystemera.net

Adam

@SES_AdamI am beyond grateful for your reply, your message was so well received that I am honestly at a loss for words. I believe you entirely, a message this sincere has convinced me completely that you, and the rest of the team, will always try your hardest to stay true to the community. I wish you guys luck with everything and I will continue to support you in all of your projects, current and future!

I Love this game fully.

I Do have to say only one thing really struck me wrong about this particular thread. Although it's obvious the team & supporters should get kudos for all their effort and time spent to make this game what it is and will be, I think the players alone are an intricate part of a game success. Creators and supporters alone won't make a game a top pick.

I wish I could do more for the development of this game. Unfortunately, I'm let's say.... not 'well off'. I got a $20.°° Steam gift card for Christmas this year, and Astroneer was the only thing on my list. As of now, I have 140 hrs. in game.

I'm loaded with talent in the art category, and not too shabby with computers, but I currently have no monetary means of showing my support. I do hope my sincere gratitude, respect and enthusiasm will go a little way toward my love for this game. 

4 hours ago, Thirdparty said:

I Love this game fully.

I Do have to say only one thing really struck me wrong about this particular thread. Although it's obvious the team & supporters should get kudos for all their effort and time spent to make this game what it is and will be, I think the players alone are an intricate part of a game success. Creators and supporters alone won't make a game a top pick.

I wish I could do more for the development of this game. Unfortunately, I'm let's say.... not 'well off'. I got a $20.°° Steam gift card for Christmas this year, and Astroneer was the only thing on my list. As of now, I have 140 hrs. in game.

I'm loaded with talent in the art category, and not too shabby with computers, but I currently have no monetary means of showing my support. I do hope my sincere gratitude, respect and enthusiasm will go a little way toward my love for this game. 

Creators and SUPPORTERS means creators, backers, and players.

15 hours ago, SES_Adam said:

@BshonGaming I was going to say something that was on behalf of the studio, but instead I'll speak personally and you can assume the rest of the team feels this way.

I appreciate the sentiment that we'll be "successful". Given the reaction to the game, we already feel that way; People are playing our game in spite of its early-in-development issues and are understanding exactly what it is they're playing. And those who don't quite understand the status of the game are being informed, in a very friendly way, by those in the community who do. It is for those reasons we feel we're "successful" already. We've already established a connection between our small team and those in the community who are coming along for the journey.

Community is super important to me. Anyone who has known me well before I ever started System Era with Paul and the other fellas knows I've been involved in community and community management for years all while working as a professional game developer. Our relationship as dev's of this game to the people who are playing it is pretty much my own personal top priority. As far as I'm concerned our team is the 6 or so of us at System Era and the hundreds of thousands of you playing it and giving us feedback. We'll be honest and open with anyone who cares to read it so long as the players are honest and open with us about they're experiences with the game, other Astroneer's, and the team here at System Era.

Fast forward to 2 years, 5 years, and I don't see this every changing. In fact I see it being a completely integrated part of the 'experience' people have when being apart of the Astroneer community and the experience we have as the team making it. I may even look at hiring additional artists just so I can focus on this full-time, its that important to me and the rest of the team.

This may seem like marketing jargon or superficial "community, yay!" bullshit you see from other developers - and I would understand that opinion because I've felt that way myself with other devs - so the best I will do is reiterate that this is important to me and to the team, and if you give me... give us a chance we'd love to prove that to you. And hey, I'll tell you what. If you ever feel we're slipping on this or not doing a good enough job maintaining this relationship send me an email directly: adamATsystemera.net

Adam

"This may seem like marketing jargon or superficial "community, yay!" bullshit you see from other developers - and I would understand that opinion because I've felt that way myself with other devs - so the best I will do is reiterate that this is important to me and to the team, and if you give me... give us a chance we'd love to prove that to you."

If I read nothing more than the quoted section...

You're awesome. You guys are awesome. Don't ever change.

Once again, it is up to me to temper all of this kind of thing, and make myself unpopular with fellow Astroneers (and dev worshipers) in the process. Who likes the guy who follows the worship and praise with a dose of cynicism? Such is my burden to bear, but I'd only post this because I do want Astroneer to reach the potential it has.

In Early Access, each of us is not a customer, we are an investor. Without us, these games don't get made. That's why they went Early Access. They're not doing me a favour, they don't need my gratitude, they don't even need my feedback. How about we all keep this professional? We're investors, all we care about is seeing progress and results.

Anything an investor wants to do to help, free of charge, they're free to do - this includes sharing their IP, their creativity, their time testing the game, their time making and promoting gameplay videos, and their feedback. Should I say again, all 'free of charge'?

The worst thing for people to do is be praising and thanking and saying stuff is 'amazing', when no, it is not. It has plenty of time to be amazing, and may be amazing when completed. Yes, I am frequently triggered by words, because I am aware of their proper use and impact, therefore I react to them as people should.

This game has great potential. Yes. Potential. The challenge for the developers will be to reach that potential. The way some forum members have talked, the game could be released as 1.0 tomorrow, and the team at Astroneer could start their next project. So what is 'finished' anyway? Who says it's finished? When will System Era consider it finished? What's to keep SE from languishing in EA for 4 years like so many other titles in my Games Library?

This game is not amazing. It's fun, it has a good start,it has potential,  but to be amazing, it's going to have to be finished first before we start dropping words like that.

My praise and accolades will be given when this title is completed, and when it is completed in a reasonable amount of time. My support will be in this manner, for I am neither a worshiper or follower - I'll tell you straight up about how I feel and will call developers out when they start to lose sight of their goals.

Posters can do what they like, thank who they like, praise who they like - don't get me wrong. But I'll be here to give the balance, and I hope others will join me, at least in the manner of giving the devs the straight goods.

On 1/13/2017 at 9:01 AM, SES_Adam said:

Well, you shouldn't feel successful. You've just started. Just because a few vocal people are pleased and already lavishing praise and worship, it doesn't make it so. In fact, as you may know, many of these forums are filled with worshipers and praisers and easily pleased players, and of indeterminate age and experience.. What one player finds fun at a younger age, someone may not as they mature, or even at an older age. When this happens too much,  without any qualification behind who is saying you're 'amazing', you have to be careful how you soak it up.

Success is not if someone thinks you're awesome or amazing. Success is completing the game and making a profit. Let's not pretend here. You have my initial investment, you no longer need or require to hear anything  from me or anyone else. Anything feedback, suggestions or IP you get from me or anyone else is all a bonus. Hopefully you can surprise us by being different from all the other EA devs out there, who either listen TOO much to players or TOO little, and sometimes from one side only - the praising side.

That's a great attitude to have, hopefully that will extend to those of us who contribute to these forums the most constructive way we know how, but not necessarily in a prostrate position before you while doing so. "hey guys, love your game! Its amazing! Best ever! I'm addicted! but umm..."

Adam

Yes, this all seems like superficial because every dev says this. 1, 2, 3, 4 years into EA when they're mad people like me are calling them out, that is the true test. I wasn't even going to invest in Astroneer at all, I am so fed up with EA. This is my last. I have about 10 titles in my library languishing in EA, and frankly it gets old after awhile reading the excuses, watching the fanbois defend them, and the endless praise from same that actually gimps the developers, and does not light the fire under their feet that they need to complete their projects.

We're investors, and after 1.0, customers, and perhaps repeat customers. So far I have purchased 3 Minecraft accounts for myself (original, 'second camera', and extra account for helpers/friends) and 2 others for family members.

Then, and only then, may I post praising you for the job well done, the sincere handshakes, the congratulations and the accolades, and with that my loyalty and promotion. I'm just one gamer though, so my opinion means nothing compared to the masses you will deal with in the next couple of years.

Edited by ent|ty
19 hours ago, BshonGaming said:

Creators and SUPPORTERS means creators, backers, and players.

Perhaps it was just the way I received the statement. I have no ill will. As a matter of fact, I don't get upset about anything (besides my own stupid mistakes XD).  - The lone statement: "  don't mean the players of this game specifically. "  ...seemed, a bit off to me. I do understand it can be read in several ways, and I suppose the "as a hole" sums it up.

No hard feelings about it, or you.

@ent|ty Fair enough on all points, I can understand where you're coming from. Best I can say is I look forward to proving myself, and ourselves. :)

Edit: Success: I feel successful for shipping this in the first place. It's a subjective thing, not an objective one so while I appreciate your point of view, there's mine on the whole thing. I'll feel successful, I am sure, a few times on this journey.

ent|t

On 1/14/2017 at 2:39 PM, Thirdparty said:

Perhaps it was just the way I received the statement. I have no ill will. As a matter of fact, I don't get upset about anything (besides my own stupid mistakes XD).  - The lone statement: "  don't mean the players of this game specifically. "  ...seemed, a bit off to me. I do understand it can be read in several ways, and I suppose the "as a hole" sums it up.

No hard feelings about it, or you.

Ooooh okay. Sorry if I came off annoyed. Have a good one man!

On 1/14/2017 at 0:08 PM, ent|ty said:

Once again, it is up to me to temper all of this kind of thing, and make myself unpopular with fellow Astroneers (and dev worshipers) in the process. Who likes the guy who follows the worship and praise with a dose of cynicism? Such is my burden to bear, but I'd only post this because I do want Astroneer to reach the potential it has.

In Early Access, each of us is not a customer, we are an investor. Without us, these games don't get made. That's why they went Early Access. They're not doing me a favour, they don't need my gratitude, they don't even need my feedback. How about we all keep this professional? We're investors, all we care about is seeing progress and results.

Anything an investor wants to do to help, free of charge, they're free to do - this includes sharing their IP, their creativity, their time testing the game, their time making and promoting gameplay videos, and their feedback. Should I say again, all 'free of charge'?

The worst thing for people to do is be praising and thanking and saying stuff is 'amazing', when no, it is not. It has plenty of time to be amazing, and may be amazing when completed. Yes, I am frequently triggered by words, because I am aware of their proper use and impact, therefore I react to them as people should.

This game has great potential. Yes. Potential. The challenge for the developers will be to reach that potential. The way some forum members have talked, the game could be released as 1.0 tomorrow, and the team at Astroneer could start their next project. So what is 'finished' anyway? Who says it's finished? When will System Era consider it finished? What's to keep SE from languishing in EA for 4 years like so many other titles in my Games Library?

This game is not amazing. It's fun, it has a good start,it has potential,  but to be amazing, it's going to have to be finished first before we start dropping words like that.

My praise and accolades will be given when this title is completed, and when it is completed in a reasonable amount of time. My support will be in this manner, for I am neither a worshiper or follower - I'll tell you straight up about how I feel and will call developers out when they start to lose sight of their goals.

Posters can do what they like, thank who they like, praise who they like - don't get me wrong. But I'll be here to give the balance, and I hope others will join me, at least in the manner of giving the devs the straight goods.

Well, you shouldn't feel successful. You've just started. Just because a few vocal people are pleased and already lavishing praise and worship, it doesn't make it so. In fact, as you may know, many of these forums are filled with worshipers and praisers and easily pleased players, and of indeterminate age and experience.. What one player finds fun at a younger age, someone may not as they mature, or even at an older age. When this happens too much,  without any qualification behind who is saying you're 'amazing', you have to be careful how you soak it up.

Success is not if someone thinks you're awesome or amazing. Success is completing the game and making a profit. Let's not pretend here. You have my initial investment, you no longer need or require to hear anything  from me or anyone else. Anything feedback, suggestions or IP you get from me or anyone else is all a bonus. Hopefully you can surprise us by being different from all the other EA devs out there, who either listen TOO much to players or TOO little, and sometimes from one side only - the praising side.

That's a great attitude to have, hopefully that will extend to those of us who contribute to these forums the most constructive way we know how, but not necessarily in a prostrate position before you while doing so. "hey guys, love your game! Its amazing! Best ever! I'm addicted! but umm..."

Yes, this all seems like superficial because every dev says this. 1, 2, 3, 4 years into EA when they're mad people like me are calling them out, that is the true test. I wasn't even going to invest in Astroneer at all, I am so fed up with EA. This is my last. I have about 10 titles in my library languishing in EA, and frankly it gets old after awhile reading the excuses, watching the fanbois defend them, and the endless praise from same that actually gimps the developers, and does not light the fire under their feet that they need to complete their projects.

We're investors, and after 1.0, customers, and perhaps repeat customers. So far I have purchased 3 Minecraft accounts for myself (original, 'second camera', and extra account for helpers/friends) and 2 others for family members.

Then, and only then, may I post praising you for the job well done, the sincere handshakes, the congratulations and the accolades, and with that my loyalty and promotion. I'm just one gamer though, so my opinion means nothing compared to the masses you will deal with in the next couple of years.

Well, I'm not here for this to turn into an argument on your points, or my own, I just wanted to slip this in. Feed my ego a bit, by forcing my unwanted or needed opinion down your throat. Amazing is opinion based. This game is amazing to me, bugs and all. I've never taken part in a space exploration game that I actually enjoyed. They never meet my expectations. If this game went full release, Id be alright with it. If they stopped working on it, I would be disappointed with the lack of new content, not the use of my money. I'm happy with this game, I'm happy that more is releasing for it. Everything else is just icing for me.

Value is subjective and in the eye's of the beholder. To me, this is a great game for the price. Whether or not it is commercially successful depends to be seen and even the definition of success is open to interpretation.

Some points:

• It is not scale invariant. There is a reason why small groups that start out with initial success 'care' about the community and why after they grow large enough (if they grow that large) everything changes. Look at EA for example, or Google, or any number of companies that went the same route. If System Era one day enjoys that level of success the same things will happen. It is unavoidable.

• No one is an "investor". Pre-alpha is just the new norm now, everyone is going this crowd funded, kickstarter, etc route. It is merely a way for games and projects to bootstrap themselves into existence, games that otherwise would never have seen the light of day due to lack of funding. There are pros and cons to this of course, look at the scam that was the Zano drone for example, most elaborate scheme/fraud on Kickstarter I ever seen, but at this here Astroneer is a real game and a real product, the same can't be said of Star Citizen and they already had $100 million+ in donations. But no, you are not an "investor".

• This game has a lot of potential, but sadly it may go the same way as games like Besiege where the burnout rate is too fast, after everyone whom would have brought the game already pre-ordered, pre-alpha'd, where is the incentive for the developers to fully finish and flush out the game when the ROI isn't there? This would early access concept is a double edged sword, in a year or two, people would have moved on to the next best concept and new indie idea out there, why would the devs want to put in the effort to perfect the game when they know that the vast majority of people who would have purchased the full game at release already purchased it pre-alpha?

The "Pre-alpha" distinction doesn't really mean anything anymore. It is a license for gaming companies to release half baked goods at full price. Everyone is doing it. At least here, we already have a somewhat decent game.

Edited by bochen7

@BshonGaming well said ... well said

@SES_Adam From the moment I sent you my initial email prior to the game being launched, I knew I was linking up with the right game to get things started for us. I have never experienced interaction with a development studio like I have with SES and I believe you when you say that this connection with the community is important to you. Thank you to you and the rest of the SES crew for the hard work, open communication, and amazing game that we all get to enjoy.

P.S. Tell @SES_Jacob that his tweets get a little weird some times :P

Edited by ApoNono

I can see huge potential in this game and have many ideas which would sync with its initial direction. More elaborate structures, energy sources, technological gadgets, vessels, planets, etc. That being said, let's give it a chance. One point of importance (IMHO): smooth the coding so that basic computer systems can effectively run the game. This will broaden your audience. For example, look at Minecraft or Warcraft. Minecraft uses procedurally-generated worlds and is CPU intensive, but can run on a basic machine. WOW has many features and a lot of content, but looks cartoonist so that basic computer systems can run the game. This allows for a broader audience of players, since not everyone has a gaming tower at home. Once you are into a game, people tend to stop worrying about realistic graphics, etc. They just play the game. Content is everything and a sandbox should have extensive tiers of craftable items and destinations only reached with advanced techs.