Astronut

Copper & Aluminum Colors

I'm sure most people you can easily discern between the aluminum blocks (not the ore or veins) and the copper blocks, but to me they are nearly indistinguishable. I have to mouse over every block of metal to see what I'm looking at. Maybe the shape could be changed, or just make one a completely different color?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kaheraien said:

Could make copper a nice dark brown 

and aluminum near silver white

Yes exactly. Something like this would be awesome.

1 hour ago, Kaheraien said:

Or just... you know... look like copper...

copper_40044.jpg

1 minute ago, blorgon said:

copper_40044.jpg

Copper is brown.....

its just metallicly reflective 

Edited by Kaheraien

3 hours ago, Kaheraien said:

and aluminum near silver white

+1 for copper more rusty brown. aluminum could stay the same. 

I have problems with this too. I'm not color blind, but every other ressource has its own shape and colour. I liked this design the first time a saw your game! So I would like to see copper in some reddish, brown tone and in some different form, too. 

kupfer_november-2010.jpgkristall-mineralfelsen-des-fasses-kupfer

I also have problems with recognition of sources in the open world, especially during the night or deep in a cave, while colors fading into gray on gray with gray shaddows :)  White Composit, black coal and purple resin * are simple, because of its form. They are very different from each other and the rest. But Hydrazine, malachite and the other cristal-forms are too similar for me (if I'm not hanging in it with my camera).

Wismut_Kristall_und_1cm3_Wuerfel.jpgzoom-1415627800.jpg

Every time I don't like something in a game, I first think about the reasons why this is like that and not something else. But I don't understand why you are NOT doing this, because there are wonderfull cristalforms and colors which would look very different. Simple forms, very easy to build. I know, you want something realistic (like this very green malachite in your game [okay, that was ironic]), but hydrazine usualy has no form. Its liquid. So, you can do, what you want ^^

Nickel_electrolytic_and_1cm3_cube.jpgDSCN3019x.jpg

(left: Thats nickel ^^ looks like composit *) (And some crystalized gold on the right)

And last: I think colour blind people also love your game because of the forms. This game is working without colors. Well done!

* PS: I'm playing in German on Steam, PC. I have really no idea how this stuff is called in english. So, if its not called composit and resin, I'm very sorry. I mean the white mixture you use for building everything. This lilac "Harz" should be resin, I think, but don't know. I hope you know what I mean ^^"

Edited by Desamii

Copper is often referred to as 'the red metal'. I can't imagine a tweak to the color is a big deal, but what do I know.

On 13.01.2017 at 7:28 AM, blorgon said:

copper_40044.jpg

Do not forget about the fact that copper is oxidized, an example of atmospheric corrosion (read as oxidation) copper ;)

01.jpg

like a greenish color, is not it?  ;)

2 hours ago, Cefeiko said:

Do not forget about the fact that copper is oxidized, an example of atmospheric corrosion (read as oxidation) copper ;)

01.jpg

But in the game, there is little to no oxygen on these planets though, correct? So it wouldn't oxidize.

49 minutes ago, Justin Shepard said:

But in the game, there is little to no oxygen on these planets though, correct? So it wouldn't oxidize.

Почему нет? Даже на "земле" валяется :)

Но, да, вы правы, если имеете в виду состав атмосферы. Хотя,  нам не известен ее точный состав.

Если подумать, то там вообще "странная" атмосфера.. Что бы кислород лежал на земле, температура на планете должна быть  -222С и ниже.. тогда как там растут растения, из чего они :)

GWT:

Spoiler

Why not? Even in the "land" lying around :)

But, yes, you are right, if the mean composition of the atmosphere. Although we do not know its exact composition.

If you think about it, there is generally a "strange" atmosphere .. What would the oxygen lying on the ground, the world temperature should be below .. -222C and while there are growing plants from which they are :)

Edited by Cefeiko

И кстати, для изменения цвета не обязательно нужна реакция с кислородом, это может быть.... хлор :)

887811021_7.jpg

GWT:

Spoiler

By the way, to change the color does not necessarily need a reaction with oxygen, it can be chlorine .... :) 

Different color, Different mineral formation, due to the the fact that astroneer's planet is different from out earth

But yeah, It's annoying to me that Aluminum and Copper is hard to tell apart

Making Copper darker and less metallic would really help

1 hour ago, Justin Shepard said:

There are plants and oxygen filter, The oxygen in the air might not enough for breathing normally, but enough for copper, iron, and others to oxidize

The answer to all the colour issues is, 

it's space copper on an alien planet. You notice how all the colours are different? 

Perhaps the sun of that solar system and the atmosphere of the planets are very different from our sun and Earth, so the colours are different.

weeee

On 1/22/2017 at 0:19 PM, Cefeiko said:

[...]

On 1/22/2017 at 2:39 PM, Justin Shepard said:

23 hours ago, Cefeiko said:
  Hide contents

Why not? Even in the "land" lying around :)

But, yes, you are right, if the mean composition of the atmosphere. Although we do not know its exact composition.

If you think about it, there is generally a "strange" atmosphere .. What would the oxygen lying on the ground, the world temperature should be below .. -222C and while there are growing plants from which they are :)

23 hours ago, Cefeiko said:
  Hide contents

By the way, to change the color does not necessarily need a reaction with oxygen, it can be chlorine .... :) 

22 hours ago, Lithium said:

Different color, Different mineral formation, due to the the fact that astroneer's planet is different from out earth

But yeah, It's annoying to me that Aluminum and Copper is hard to tell apart

Making Copper darker and less metallic would really help

19 hours ago, Forgo said:

The answer to all the colour issues is, 

it's space copper on an alien planet. You notice how all the colours are different? 

Perhaps the sun of that solar system and the atmosphere of the planets are very different from our sun and Earth, so the colours are different.

weeee

Couple things: first, the OP is talking about copper and aluminum, not the ores. The discussion is about the refined product, not what we'd see in the world.

Both of these are real ores containing copper:

malachite-stalactitic.jpgcuprite2.jpg

Both of these would be awesome to see in the game-world, as I think they're much more interesting than the drab yellow color of "malachite" in the game. I'd personally prefer to see cuprite as the copper ore, because it's gorgeous. But again, we're talking about once the ore is refined into copper. Once it's refined, it should look like actual copper:

29_Cu.jpg

And yeah, copper oxidizes—that greenish-bluish color is called verdigris, and yes, it's beautiful. But it happens when copper is just left out, and takes a long time to form (multiple tens of years if left undisturbed and without artificially accelerating the process).

But Astroneers are mining the ore, using the smelter to turn the ore into copper, and are likely using the copper within a matter of hours. There'd be no time for the copper to oxidize, and if there were time, or environmental factors that would accelerate the process, then that'd be really cool to see as an in-game process we could watch happen.

Either way, refined copper should look like the copper tubes in my other message, and the image of the shavings in this post. Refined aluminum should look silvery.

As far as the argument that the copper might appear differently because of the sun having a different spectrum than our own, that's an interesting thought, but doesn't seem likely. Presumably the game world appears to us as it appears to the Astroneers; what we see as purple ground is purple to the Astroneers. It's pretty apparent that the sun in the game-world is pretty similar in color to that of our own real-life sun. That means that its spectrum peaks in roughly the same wavelengths as our own—which means that copper on those worlds should appear roughly the same as the copper in real life; color is a chemical property intrinsic to objects. A rose is red because its chemical composition dictates that its petals absorb all other wavelengths of the spectrum completely, and does not absorb red wavelengths, but rather reflects those wavelengths. That is why roses appear red. So if the sun in-game is similar to our own, a rose on Terra would appear the same as a rose on Earth.