Docktor Dicking

Backpack - no auto regen.

It is a nice addition that the backpack will regenerate slowly but i think it would be better if the backpack does not do that, or that there will be an option to set it off. This will give more value to having a solar panel on your backpack or keeping a generator with you at all time to generate energy when needed. Whenever you are in a cave and run out of energy the lights will also go off, this will make it a bit harder to stay out for long without a decent supply of energy and give more purpose to those small utilities you can add to your backpack. Also would it be nice to be able to upgrade the backpack with a few slots or upgrade the battery/Oxygen without consuming bag space.

If they implement food/drink desires i would also suggest that they make somesort of belt or piece of equipment to store some food/drink for on the go so the backpack will be for resources and stuff.

Its just an idea/suggestion. Not sure if it is a good idea though.

I like the auto regen, actually. It is slow enough that you feel restricted if you don't have another means of powering your pack but it keeps you able to play if you find yourself stuck without another means of power. Both the wind vane and the solar only work situationally so they are unreliable (especially underground). Also, note the auto regen only fills up the basic pack, itr does not recharge batteries.

16 minutes ago, Docktor Dicking said:

It is a nice addition that the backpack will regenerate slowly but i think it would be better if the backpack does not do that, or that there will be an option to set it off.

The devs don't have a plan to add difficulty settings, more of just a "one size fits all" policy.

16 minutes ago, Docktor Dicking said:

Also would it be nice to be able to upgrade the backpack with a few slots or upgrade the battery/Oxygen without consuming bag space.

use the two side slots on the backpack to hold a battery/oxygen tank. They stay in the slots even when you die, i.e. you respawn with them intact. Also, if you need an extra slot for certain resources, the printer's slot works (at least, for whatever material it asks for). I usually have a stack of Compound in there so I can make tethers when I need to.

7 minutes ago, erikinthebakery said:

I like the auto regen, actually. It is slow enough that you feel restricted if you don't have another means of powering your pack but it keeps you able to play if you find yourself stuck without another means of power. Both the wind vane and the solar only work situationally so they are unreliable (especially underground). Also, note the auto regen only fills up the basic pack, itr does not recharge batteries.

This. Even the regular generator is situational, you need to be near an Organic source which is a bit hard to do underground.

edit: ayy, I'm advanced now

Edited by kiefac

19 minutes ago, Docktor Dicking said:

Also would it be nice to be able to upgrade the backpack with a few slots or upgrade the battery/Oxygen without consuming bag space.

I think this is a critical mechanic in the game. It forces you to make decisions about what you carry. Yes, you can have enough oxygen/power to go on for a long time, but then you have less space for what you may pick up. It's about finding that balance for yourself.

18 minutes ago, erikinthebakery said:

I think this is a critical mechanic in the game. It forces you to make decisions about what you carry. Yes, you can have enough oxygen/power to go on for a long time, but then you have less space for what you may pick up. It's about finding that balance for yourself.

I agree with you. This reinforces the "survival" aspect of the game, be careful not to make it too easy.

I disagree it just forces me to lay tethers every were and never use the O2 and battery.  If you have to jaunt out 20 minutes to the bottom of the cave your exploring that is a 40 minute round trip or 4.4 minutes per resources.  if you reduce it to 7 you are now looking at 5.7 minutes per item.  It exponentially approaches infinity as you go down to 0.  No one in the right mind would ever fill an inventory slot. I personally only use an O2 on the left shoulder (for emergency's) and an generator on the right (when the base is not supplying wind or solar)

1 minute ago, Nich said:

I disagree it just forces me to lay tethers every were and never use the O2 and battery.

I've never used the oxygen tank or batteries either. Just tethers everywhere I go. Cheap and easy to make, and storms don't seem to destroy them. Great for finding my way back to base too.

27 minutes ago, Soap MacTavish said:

I've never used the oxygen tank or batteries either. Just tethers everywhere I go. Cheap and easy to make, and storms don't seem to destroy them. Great for finding my way back to base too.

I use tethers too, but if I'm just trying to see if there's anything worthwhile in an area I don't lay them down. I like to only have paths to important things since we can't color tether lines or anything. That's where having O2 tanks and a battery comes in; I can walk around a good distance without worrying that I'm going to die within 30 seconds of not being near my tethers, or end up dying to a dust storm because I couldn't use my terraforming gun in time to make a safety hole.

Also, on my first world, compound was a pain in the ass to get, there just was never any when I needed it, so I always tried to keep my tether use down. (The trading platform+fuel condenser was a godsend then.) The habit sort of stuck.

The current slow regen of power is slow enough to be a big pain in the ass at times. It *could* be a bit slower, or have a longer delay before it kicks-in. However I honestly would not like it to deplete completely and the only way to regen is by items to make power. It may force people to using tethers even more religiously.

No auto regen?

so how i'm supposed to start?

if I use some energy for digging pointlessly, it will be a total game over??

2 hours ago, Frigidman said:

The current slow regen of power is slow enough to be a big pain in the ass at times.

5 hours ago, erikinthebakery said:

The slow regen is already a pain in the ass, and having more trouble at the start it will only make this game frustrating, it will not add some deep gameplay, because we already count on "external" energy source

The battery stores enough power to use the deform tool continuously for only 8 seconds (without other source of power). Unlike other batteries, the backpack slowly recharges itself at the rate of 0.25 units/sec (4 seconds/units), but its charge cannot be transferred to other batteries.

Since a backpack with no battery has 10 units, you have to wait 40 second to dig for another 8 second!!