How are you guys building your base?

Hello fellow Astroneers, I looked around and saw the different ways everyone is building their modules.  Some event built a base underground to avoid traveling to the surface of some planet.

I want to learn how to build an efficient base on different planets and moon (surface, underground or anywhere). 

My definition of efficient is to at least have well placed power sources to power all modules and walk very little between some modules (e.g. building a Fuel Condenser next to the Trade Platform)

I usually build my bases like a diamond sort of. with the solar panels and batterys on the inside of my base and then the modules on the outside. it makes everything symmetrical and nice.

This is the most efficient base I've built yet, on Terran.IMG_917bdfcc-98be-47bd-8dab-8bdcc2f949c1.png

I keep my spaceship at an adjacent landing zone to prevent my vehicles from falling through the ground when I land.IMG_67c8399a-d03f-4b2e-8d9d-4fd515a20c7e.png

29 minutes ago, lawrencevanrijn said:

Is it possible to remove a module? I was a little silly and added the 5 modules, now I can no longer extend the base beyond that. 

Unfortunately, this is not currently possible.

I am building my base with a drive through.

First I am starting a row of 3 pods (1x solar / 2x wind turbine) from the habitat and connecting then 3 platforms (printer, research, smelter). A 4th pod from the habitat is going directly below the survace, digging a tunnel 90° to my row of platforms and coming out after a few pods on the other side. Same game here. 3 pods in a row, connecting with 3 platforms (fuel, fuel, trading platform). At the end the 6 platforms are facing each other, leaving a corridor between them where I can drive through with my trucks / rover and which puts me in the position to interact with all 6 platforms from one point (the middle) and my truck full of ressources. This makes it much more easy to move ressources from one platform to the other and I can enter the base from two sides easily.

On the pods on the surface I have solar panels and wind turbines. On the pods below the surface are my batteries. Never had any energy problems so far, because I spread espacially my wind turbines. Quite often 1-3 of them are working while others are not. By spreading them as wide as possible I think I have an increased chance of more or less continues energy supply in combination with the batteries.

Vehicle Bays are connected on the outside because due to several possible bugs I currently always had the need in every savegame to build more than one vehicle bay.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/R1ZENTyDE/video/25595528

Subterranean base with giant skylight!

This base was built primarily to harness the power of the sun, from a level or two below the surface. Currently it contains:

-5 Large Batteries
-8 Large Solar Panels
-2 Wind Vanes (randomly charges batteries, usually at nighttime)

Current Modules:

-Smelter
-Research
-Fuel Condenser
-Printer
-Trade Platform

This is my second time doing this and my layout for this one is much better than my first. I simply picked a spot to put a habitat and expanded nodes to make a sort of backbone for my solar panels. Then I start digging straight up. Luckily, the hole I dug through the ceiling reached a recently dug pocket that probably held either compound or resin. Also, through the hole, I was able to see the marker from a beacon I placed a couple sessions ago to mark the opening of a nearby cave. I used the compass to determine where I should start digging from the surface. The first phase was just to see where the sunlight was going to fall on the bottom of the cave. I already knew that the sun rose in the west of my planet and set in the east. The video above shows the sunlight falling to the cave floor and activating my solar panels.

My setup (plus the large hole I made just using my deforming tool; no drill heads or cranes involved) can have all solar panels activated for about ten seconds while most of the time, it's only at the very least 4-5 activated. It can recharge all 5 batteries from empty to full in one day, even when I'm using my fuel condenser at the same time (which takes up one large battery charge).

Right now, I'm using the fuel condenser in conjunction with the trade platform to exchange hydrazine for materials I would normally go out and mine. In the future, I plan to modify the ramps I've made around the rim of the hole above the underground base to accommodate a truck, putting a vehicle bay at the surface base.

I have noticed that placing 2 wind generators on slightly above the ground level, 2 solar panels and 2 batteries will provide me enough energy to terraform endlessly and also smelter and research without breaks. With those in place, the rest is for creative freedom. I do tend to grow my energy sufficiency past that point, but those extra pieces can be then later fitted to vehicles or transported to new bases without having to get that lithium for example. The save I'm currently playing I also has one big string of 2 nodes for storage base because it's mining heavy save.

20170112041502_1.jpg

20170112045529_1.jpg

Right now, I build 4 small solars, put 2 on habitat/lifepod than I flatten the ground around my base, this typically takes 4-7 cycles to get enough done, to then make a couple of flat nodes for extra power, more power, more flat land.. then when I have a sizeable area, I add research, smelter, then I go into a tunnel underground and get 6 aluminum, build a veh bay and a truck (if I have the research, otherwise I also get some copper and build a printer, then some more power, solars, small storage and rover, then it's research all the way.  After that I add a 2nd vehicle bay, shuttle/spaceship, fuel condenser and either goto the moon or just drive around alot.

Usually my base ends up a square or star shape.

Edited by Martin

Oh yeah, about the shape, it goes like this:

wind  solar   random

..          |      |      |||

Habitat -- gen -- gen -- stuff

..          |      |      |||

smelter, printer, vehicle bay, trade platform, research all in the order that the situation demands

that's the last three bases only though, and not precisely that, but something like that anyway.

19 hours ago, PilotChan said:

I usually build my bases like a diamond sort of. with the solar panels and batterys on the inside of my base and then the modules on the outside. it makes everything symmetrical and nice.

I also prefer this technique. 

5 hours ago, nordish said:

I am building my base with a drive through.

First I am starting a row of 3 pods (1x solar / 2x wind turbine) from the habitat and connecting then 3 platforms (printer, research, smelter). A 4th pod from the habitat is going directly below the survace, digging a tunnel 90° to my row of platforms and coming out after a few pods on the other side. Same game here. 3 pods in a row, connecting with 3 platforms (fuel, fuel, trading platform). At the end the 6 platforms are facing each other, leaving a corridor between them where I can drive through with my trucks / rover and which puts me in the position to interact with all 6 platforms from one point (the middle) and my truck full of ressources. This makes it much more easy to move ressources from one platform to the other and I can enter the base from two sides easily.

On the pods on the surface I have solar panels and wind turbines. On the pods below the surface are my batteries. Never had any energy problems so far, because I spread espacially my wind turbines. Quite often 1-3 of them are working while others are not. By spreading them as wide as possible I think I have an increased chance of more or less continues energy supply in combination with the batteries.

Vehicle Bays are connected on the outside because due to several possible bugs I currently always had the need in every savegame to build more than one vehicle bay.

Kinda like this?

u35H5no.jpg

i found that in use it still feels kinda cluttered, the truck itself is in the way. Maybe could make the "road" wider.. but after this I went back to a style where I roll up next to base and everything front and center.

Dua4EMW.jpg

1 minute ago, AutoMcD said:

Kinda like this?

u35H5no.jpg

Yes. Quite similar. I have a little more space in the middle to avoid the problem you are mentioning.

And my vehible bay crane is pointing outwards, so when I build something on the vehicle bay it is not blocking the entrance.

For my first base on Terran (after starting new game), I will clear a large area of all rocks & vegetation, and then make it level.  Then make a string of expansion nodes running North-South off the Hab capsule.  These serve as the preliminary power providers... using solar panels & wind vanes crafted from the backpack (provided I find aluminum at a crash site).

This enables the base to be divided into quadrants... Crafting, Vehicles, Power, Storage.  I will then dig a storage cave, which later on holds any extra stuff after making the above ground storage area.

My first crafting table is of course Research.  Next is the Printer, Smelter, Trade Platform.  Then comes the Fuel Condenser and Vehicle Bay.  I don't bother with shuttles, and will wait until I research the Space Ship.  The Vehicle section can easily be expanded if necessary.

Any Lithium is saved to make the large batteries.  The power section consists of 3 large batteries, 2 large solar panels, 2 wind turbines. So far this has provided plenty of power, but the power section can easily be expanded if necessary.

The North half of the preliminary power string is then converted and expanded for storage (behind crafting tables).  I don't mind having above ground storage, as the storms don't affect anything that is attached... which is a game mechanic I hope will always be carried forward.

bnfM4Qz.jpg

On 1/11/2017 at 1:35 PM, th3Raven said:

I keep my spaceship at an adjacent landing zone to prevent my vehicles from falling through the ground when I land.IMG_67c8399a-d03f-4b2e-8d9d-4fd515a20c7e.png

does this actually work?  every time?  what is secret not landing shuttle/ship on same grid as your land vehicles?

If you move it say 200-300m away from base, in a specific direction, say North.. then slap down a couple of beacons, it becomes very easy to land at exactly the same place all the time.  If the 2nd base is too close or it's abit confusing as to which is which ie it's on a diagonal, you might have issues selecting the correct location.

1 hour ago, NjalStorm said:

does this actually work?  every time?  what is secret not landing shuttle/ship on same grid as your land vehicles?

Works for me. Just go into orbit, circle around a time or two, and select the blue bubble that's closest to your base. Land there and build out a fueling station like me, or whatever. Just keep keep the land vehicles at your main base, tethered during launch. You gotta run back and forth so you may need an oxygen tank ? 

Edited by th3Raven

Very long day/night cycles on the planet I'm on so I went with a "bat-mobile" and a power grid to gather as much power as possible while the sun is up. The wind turbines are spread out all over to give me sufficient power at night as well. Probably overboard on the batteries, but hey.. why not? ;)

361420_20170104212009_1.png

361420_20170104220103_1.png

On 1/11/2017 at 10:35 AM, th3Raven said:

This is the most efficient base I've built yet, on Terran.IMG_917bdfcc-98be-47bd-8dab-8bdcc2f949c1.png

I do the "Daisy chain" as depicted in the lower picture as well. I find it's the easiest to manage.

BEB41F4767308B900A1E1F53B4072C55EEB3D9C9

Usually I'd flatten the ground first, but this landfall was quite flat to begin with.  I like the enclosed designs others use, but prefer to be able to access research, smelter etc.

Little bit of leg work and more space near habitat to build additional power/batteries etc or run a line out for a landing pad.

I've started building mine by first laying out the cardinal directions with a couple of nodes each way, and then building two opposing directions with 45 degree nodes, for example one going SE, the other going SW. At the third node I build my first station, and then all the others, one on each side moving away from the Habitat. This creates a V shaped courtyard that makes all stations available with little effort.

Then on the cardinal directions opposite the end with this V, I build all the batteries, solar and wind collectors. It almost looks like a hanged man stick figure with the habitat at the heart. One of these times I'll take a screenshot and show it.

Edited by travin