Freeform64

Flattening surfaces

What do you guys think about a steam roller type of vehicle that could be used to flatten the terrain?

One of my major issues with Astroneer mechanically has been diging up recourses close to my base and having to spend way too much time trying to flatten the space, there has got to be a more enjoyable way to do so. 

Thanks for your ear, keep up the good work.

7 minutes ago, Freeform64 said:

What do you guys think about a steam roller type of vehicle that could be used to flatten the terrain?

One of my major issues with Astroneer mechanically has been diging up recourses close to my base and having to spend way too much time trying to flatten the space, there has got to be a more enjoyable way to do so. 

Thanks for your ear, keep up the good work.

I would not say a whole new vehicle... Maybe an attachment for the truck? :D 

1 hour ago, IndieCrypt said:

Maybe an attachment for the truck? :D 

I could see a steam roller attachment that works similar to the crane, giving you a seat while taking up 4 attachment nodes. Give it control to drive, but only one seat (despite being as big as a 3-seat). But I do worry then that it means a rover could get the attachment, and I don't feel it SHOULD, so part of me says that it should either not give a seat (to dissuade rovers since you can't drive it) or it should take up more than 4 nodes (say, all 8 nodes of a truck).

But I also worry that if it functions like the flatten tool, driving with it would be a terrible idea as you could easily ruin what you're flattening by hitting an odd surface and flattening the ground into a slope, essentially un-flattening the land you're driving on. So really, I think it should have some way to turn itself on and off, and should force your speed to a crawl when activated (much like how steamrollers actually do drive slow to ensure the road is properly flattened). If it's some always-active attachment, I really doubt it could be anything but trouble.

1 minute ago, kiomadoushi said:

I could see a steam roller attachment that works similar to the crane, giving you a seat while taking up 4 attachment nodes. Give it control to drive, but only one seat (despite being as big as a 3-seat). But I do worry then that it means a rover could get the attachment, and I don't feel it SHOULD, so part of me says that it should either not give a seat (to dissuade rovers since you can't drive it) or it should take up more than 4 nodes (say, all 8 nodes of a truck).

But I also worry that if it functions like the flatten tool, driving with it would be a terrible idea as you could easily ruin what you're flattening by hitting an odd surface and flattening the ground into a slope, essentially un-flattening the land you're driving on. So really, I think it should have some way to turn itself on and off, and should force your speed to a crawl when activated (much like how steamrollers actually do drive slow to ensure the road is properly flattened). If it's some always-active attachment, I really doubt it could be anything but trouble.

I meant an attachment much like the drill head where it only takes up two storage nodes and is powered when you hold down the left mouse button...

3 minutes ago, IndieCrypt said:

I meant an attachment much like the drill head where it only takes up two storage nodes and is powered when you hold down the left mouse button...

Steamrollers are rather big and bulky... 2 nodes seems way too small. I really think 8 is the most appropriate, with 1 seat only, though left mouse to activate is what I was thinking.

1 minute ago, kiomadoushi said:

Steamrollers are rather big and bulky... 2 nodes seems way too small. I really think 8 is the most appropriate, with 1 seat only, though left mouse to activate is what I was thinking.

Yeah I suppose ;) Good point :D 

Perhaps something like a big rake or plow that you attach to your truck and drag around. Nice for making roads or flattening out a building area. It should probably consume battery power when it runs, so you have to plan accordingly (put extra batteries on your truck, bring extra power, etc. )

I was about to make a post about road making tools as well. Something that makes it level in it's relative x axis, something that just flats out bumps and something that could smooth roundly. These tools would allow not only making roads but curved surfaces as well. I'm making an open quarry at the moment and I think the hardest part is making the road down for vehicles. In addition to roads, curved surfaces could be used when making slides - yes, they are just that much fun. I like sliding down in this game more than snowboarding games. It's a nice way to relax in between explorations and base upgrades and such but also a handy way to move downwards in mines and quarries. Support roads and sliding!

9 hours ago, IndieCrypt said:

I would not say a whole new vehicle... Maybe an attachment for the truck? :D 

xD Super...

Instead of Steamroller style attachment, why not a Hydraulic actuated industrial arm that will have an array of end tools?  Think Crane but replace the drill with other end tool tips.  That's the direction I feel this game's heading now - especially with farming on the Road Map.

Edited by Looney Tunes

18 minutes ago, Looney Tunes said:

Instead of Steamroller style attachment, why not a Hydraulic actuated industrial arm that will have an array of end tools?  Think Crane but replace the drill with other end tool tips.  That's the direction I feel this game's heading now - especially with farming on the Road Map.

That would be less effective than the terraforming tool. You would need to move the vehicle, then step in the crane to work on an area and repeat. It might have it's uses, but as a solution for roads I would like it to be an attachment. I also wouldn't mind switchable "upgrades" to terraforming tools to give it some changeable/upgradeable functionality.

2 hours ago, Kafetist said:

That would be less effective than the terraforming tool. You would need to move the vehicle, then step in the crane to work on an area and repeat. It might have it's uses, but as a solution for roads I would like it to be an attachment. I also wouldn't mind switchable "upgrades" to terraforming tools to give it some changeable/upgradeable functionality.

Co-op multiplayer with one driver and one operator would work, wouldn't it?

5 hours ago, WhosTog said:

Perhaps something like a big rake or plow that you attach to your truck and drag around.

Using the winch. That way there's some fun unpredictability to it and representative of how things work in real life: very often not very well. It will take skill and patience to master.

Edited by travin

1 hour ago, Looney Tunes said:

Co-op multiplayer with one driver and one operator would work, wouldn't it?

As an only option for making roads? No.The idea is excellent, but for less social players it would be horrible. I like the idea of a classic digging machine, the driver operates the tracks or wheels and the arm at the same time. Maybe make it take all the nodes from truck (or a truck with tracks for maximum friction, eh?) and it would be a drivable crane?

Either way, the road map says "creative suite" and it refers to terrain tools. I'm pretty sure they wan't something more accessible than a complicated piece of machinery that has a learning curve to it.

Think about it: when it requires a machine on wheels you can only do so much and it really limits your creativity but if it's some form of the terraforming tool we have now you can even create art with it on the hardest parts of mountains. The latter sounds epic while the former sounds realistic and neat.

If it was me I'd go for the terraforming tool. I don't think making roads should be complicated. I think making a factory that has automated mining, refining and production of goods sounds something that is aimed to be complicated - not because it's gonna be deliberately hard to do, but because it's going to comprise of versatile functional buildings and nodes.

In their previous stream they mentioned factorio, I suggest you take a look at it if you wan't to see some of their inspiration.

Well, this thread discusses Steam roller type equipment, so I am looking for ways this is feasible and would be fun for everyone to use.  Right now, we have the basic truck setup and using a Steam roller attachment behind the truck would just "flatten" the surface a bit but not all the way - maybe remove those stones if the stones is more than 50% of the volume above ground.

I don't know how much time is actually saved by driving a truck through the bumpy terrain at a high speed.  I would imagine the time wasted would be high due to glitches and truck flying off the rocks wedged into the ground.  The truck itself would flip easily, even with practice we might run into one of many terrain glitches that cause problems with the truck's ability to move.  That's why I brought up the crane but driving it at the same time.

Yes, these future terrain tools will be on their way to us, so it is possible some of the terrain tools we try out will be discarded down the road.  @Kafetist: I think you might be right about the requirement of a driveable crane taking up the entire truck - but then I can see mishaps happen in multiplayer that would cause problems for the host's save and the client is just in the way.  i.e.  A client notices the driveable crane type truck and wreck havoc easily, without intervention by the host to take the "terrain truck" away from the client.  I imagine it would be due to the powerful nature of that terrain tool, and the client do not know what it does yet, would realize too late.. so operation of these terrain tools probably would have progression built in somehow.

The reason I thought such as a vehicle would be operated by two persons in tandem would make the game more social and hands on.  I think it would work out OK when that vehicle is operated by one person, though I can see it would be more fun working with another person.  You can disagree with this one and say it is not efficient, you never know until you try this method - I think just sitting in the truck watching the host operate the crane would not work very well for the multiplayer mode.  i.e. I have sat as a passenger scouting for possible locations to explore, but that's all I can do unless I hop out of the vehicle and go my separate ways.  It's good to keep doing something else while riding the vehicle - how can something simple like flattening surfaces be an advantage for two persons? One driver will look and make sure the vehicle is not going into harm's way (survival aspect is huge here), and the operator will use the terraform tool on the backseat or the front seat.  I think two sets of eyes would help each other keep each other safe from a vehicle crash - that is if you can get hurt from within the vehicle in the future builds of Astroneer.

I'd take anything that can get rid of the damn rocks easier. I plan a "road" by tethering a line along the route, and I treat the tethers like the yellow line in real life roads. But right now it takes forever driving along said road and manually digging rocks out and then smoothing the terrain over.