So, I have over 80 hours played and I just found my first instance of dynamite.  Stuck to a the top of a vast cavern was an intrepid ASTRONEER (Martin perhaps?).  After freeing him from the roof, I proceeded to loot him (honestly, I didn't even check for a pulse or try CPR, I am a horrible person).    The last bit I pulled off him was dynamite!!! Yes, how could I have not found it before!  Anywho, I tried to place it in my backpack and BANG! I became another lootable object in the world. 

So, my question is this:  can you put dynamite in your pack and save it for later?   It very well could be that I didn't actually put it in my pack (lag or OLD AGE), but I think it did.  What are the mechanics around this item?  Should I be writing angry rants in the bugs section about my spoding loot?  I am I just suffering from Cranial Rectosis?  Please enlighten me.  I would quite like to use this stuff one grey rock as the crane annoys me at the moment.

First of all... =))

Secondly, you can pick up the dynamite and keep it on your backpack.

If you look closely there is what looks like a button on it. Place dynamite on ground and click that button. it explodes pretty fast so try to stay clear when you activate it.

Excellent post and well done for adding yourself to the Darwin Awards nominees list. Space 101 - don't tap the flashing red button; at least not when you're holding on to it. :) 

same happened to me yesterday.

Tried to put it on my backpack ... boooom. So how does that work? Just picking and putting to my backpack did not work or mayby I was just unlucky to tap the "button"??

9 minutes ago, petermileo said:

i really enjoy that dinamite activate button, its remind me how to carry explosives in real life, u have to be carefull

Agreed.

Spoiler

Clicking activate by accident and hearing my backpack beeping was the best "oh shit" moment I've experienced in a while haha.

So here's how this works... It's likely a bug. If you find a brand new dynamite on a dead astronaut it doesn't have the detonator button. Any time you quit and reload a game, any dynamite you have come across that is attached to a storage slot will show the detonator button. This applies to collections of dynamite you've put somewhere on your base, or dynamite like you found on that dead guy. You can clear it by putting it on the ground, then picking it up and putting it back. Shift-clicking it into your backpack does not clear it.

You must have come across him before, or at least entered that area, then quit and reloaded.

I found a deceased astronaut for the first time last night deep in the bottom of a cave. I promptly looted his backpack and formed a mound for his body to lie in state. I put the dynamite on my backpack with no problem and took it to a storage platform with no problem. I later took it in a cave and set it off to see what it would do. I am playing on Xbox BTW.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to mistakenly hit the orange "activate" button by mistake, I've done it more than once cause I'm not so bright like that. xD

A great tip I read somewhere else on here - when you explode the dynamite it leaves a perfectly flat area you can use as a template for the terrain smoothing tool. Save your dynamite for any new base you want to build.

I've also heard (again on these forums) that the "create flat land with explosives" trick only works if you put it on flat land to begin with. try it and see? ;)

Thanks for all the feedback.  Now, I just have to find some more.  I am sure they are planning on making it a crafting recipe at some point.  I can imagine the design meeting on the subject before release:

D1: We should put the dynamite recipe in.

D2: But, we can't if we want people to use he drills and really hate the crane first.  Plus, newbs will blow themselves up.

D1:  Exactly, think of the videos!  They won't even think about arguing about pointless stuff like hydrazine and the trade platform for months!

D2:  This is a complex issue, we better order in pizza

Play multiplayer, activate dynamite, hold it in possesion, hover your mouse over your mates.