Barrius wilmoth

Multiplayer needs PvP and PvE

So I kinda want to see this game become more expansive with a combat system and perhaps space combat. I thought it could in a sense be better than No Man's Sky. Or even bigger than Ark: Survival

I currently PvP with well timed dynamite waiving. 
I don't believe full PvP is in the current road map at all. 

2 hours ago, Forgo said:

I currently PvP with well timed dynamite waiving. 
I don't believe full PvP is in the current road map at all. 

...and drops in map and build, they get sunk, but you are right no PVP on the roadmap

12 hours ago, Barrius wilmoth said:

So I kinda want to see this game become more expansive with a combat system and perhaps space combat. I thought it could in a sense be better than No Man's Sky. Or even bigger than Ark: Survival

I'm sorry. You may want to just move on if you want pvp in this game. There are others that are built for it. Astroneer never will be (lemme go dig up the quote from the dev...)

12 hours ago, Barrius wilmoth said:

You've kind of mentioned 2 different genres of game. A survival game and a space combat game.

There are plenty of games available in both those genres, why not just find one you like and go play it?

I'd like to think of this as a atmospheric game. Also they talked about life forms in the Dec. 22 live stream. WEAPONS ARE A NO THIS IS A BUILDING SURVIVAL SPACE GAME OK NOW GO BACK TO MINECRAFT.

In the end it doesn't even matter if the Devs add PVP or not. If this will end up on Steam workshop (on roadmap), there will be someone who will mod PVP into the game.

Mark my words B|

+SuicidalMummy dude I was just thinking about it and plus I don't like Minecraft at all even though there is a lot to do in it I easily get bored with it and please this is me talking nicely as possible don't be rude or harsh towards others plus I am currently 17. Also not at the moment or have a PC and don't know how I would install mods in my Xbox One

Edited by Barrius wilmoth
Just saw the post under SuicidalMummy

45 minutes ago, piespace said:

In the end it doesn't even matter if the Devs add PVP or not. If this will end up on Steam workshop (on roadmap), there will be someone who will mod PVP into the game.

Mark my words B|

Doesn't really matter if someone does make a mod, only the pvpers will use it.  It won't be modded into the game servers, those that try will get perma banned, not just on the servers, but across steam likely.

Astroneer is upto a 4 player game, pvp is kinda pointless.  Sure you can dig holes under each other and have a laugh, they could add same side team killing for example, have trucks kill people etc.. add in options to kick, ban players.. remove them from friends list to complete.

So the real question is, do you actually want pvp.. or do you just want to grief people.  There will be no long term pvp unless it's purely consenting.  And there will be no short term non consenting pvp.  Just the odd case of casual griefing, which will be dealt with locally.

So what is the point of this thread? If the game had servers with 20-50+ players.. sure good argument for consensual pvp, otherwise, waste of time.  Doesn't matter if the devs allowed it, built it into the game.. with 4 people in the game you can just say "pvp and I ban you" end of problem.

1 hour ago, SuicidalMummy said:

WEAPONS ARE A NO THIS IS A BUILDING SURVIVAL SPACE GAME OK NOW GO BACK TO MINECRAFT.

Wow wow, easy here.

Personally I'd like PvP (even Adam would find it cool), but properly implementing this is a lot of work and certainly not a priority right now.

10 minutes ago, Martin said:

Doesn't really matter if someone does make a mod, only the pvpers will use it.  It won't be modded into the game servers, those that try will get perma banned, not just on the servers, but across steam likely.

That's not really how it works. If we get server-side mod support but the server does not offer a PvP mod, then anyone who joins won't be able to bring in something else no matter what (unless there's some serious gap in the code). That would require to hack the server itself.

10 minutes ago, Martin said:

So what is the point of this thread? If the game had servers with 20-50+ players.. sure good argument for consensual pvp, otherwise, waste of time.  Doesn't matter if the devs allowed it, built it into the game.. with 4 people in the game you can just say "pvp and I ban you" end of problem.

It won't be 4 players forever. Dedicated servers and of course higher player caps are planned (plus duels are fun, too).
Also the "Do this and I ban you"-argument works with any amount of players. :P

9 minutes ago, Martin said:

Astroneer is upto a 4 player game, pvp is kinda pointless.  Sure you can dig holes under each other and have a laugh, they could add same side team killing for example, have trucks kill people etc.. add in options to kick, ban players.. remove them from friends list to complete.

So the real question is, do you actually want pvp.. or do you just want to grief people.  There will be no long term pvp unless it's purely consenting.  And there will be no short term non consenting pvp.  Just the odd case of casual griefing, which will be dealt with locally.

There is talk of dedicated servers in the future, so there will probably be servers you can rent. If that's the case, you will be able to add whatever mods you want on it. And people will have to have those mods installed if they want to join your server.

Currently this is a 4 player Coop but I don't see anywhere where it said that it will forever be limited to 4 players. (If that's the case, then yes, PVP is kind of pointless).

So, my point stand, this can always have PVP modded in when it hits Steam workshop. If people will join or like it, that's another question.

8 minutes ago, piespace said:

There is talk of dedicated servers in the future, so there will probably be servers you can rent. If that's the case, you will be able to add whatever mods you want on it. And people will have to have those mods installed if they want to join your server.

Currently this is a 4 player Coop but I don't see anywhere where it said that it will forever be limited to 4 players. (If that's the case, then yes, PVP is kind of pointless).

So, my point stand, this can always have PVP modded in when it hits Steam workshop. If people will join or like it, that's another question.

Then people will join in as expecting it.  But as the game currently stands, there's no need for this, as for wyvs post, a game can be modded, regardless of what the developer wants.  There isn't a game in existence, except for online only mmos which aren't hacked and modded.  And even those, are modded on the client side, "which steam will ban you for if caught etc"

Only need to look at World of Tanks for an extensive list of illegal mods.. which their devs are continually trying to dislodge and ban.

If the game had pvp added in, on a server sure, might be fun.  Otherwise, pointless even discussing it, at least until server code is being discussed.  In fact, if servers become a thing, the server admin, could probably mod the game to allow pvp.  Just like we did with minecraft.

Edited by Martin

8 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

That's not really how it works. If we get server-side mod support but the server does not offer a PvP mod, then anyone who joins won't be able to bring in something else no matter what (unless there's some serious gap in the code). That would require to hack the server itself.

This is how Ark Survival Evolved works, unofficial servers can host whatever mods they want. When you try to join, the game will download all necessary mods and install them. If you don't install them, you can't join the server.

From your perspective, you can have any amount of mods installed in the game. Activating them can only happen if the mods are installed on the server you're joining.

3 minutes ago, piespace said:

This is how Ark Survival Evolved works, unofficial servers can host whatever mods they want. When you try to join, the game will download all necessary mods and install them. If you don't install them, you can't join the server.

From your perspective, you can have any amount of mods installed in the game. Activating them can only happen if the mods are installed on the server you're joining.

That's correct, otherwise you'd get version mismatches.   You can have more mods installed on your client, but only the mods accepted on the server could be played on the server.. and on the client mods that didn't affect the server, would be usable on the client.

Edited by Martin

2 minutes ago, Martin said:

Then people will join in as expecting it.  But as the game currently stands, there's no need for this, as for wyvs post, a game can be modded, regardless of what the developer wants.  There isn't a game in existence, except for online only mmos which aren't hacked and modded.  And even those, are modded on the client side, "which steam will ban you for if caught etc"

Only need to look at World of Tanks for an extensive list of illegal mods.. which their devs are continually trying to dislodge and ban.

If the game had pvp added in, on a server sure, might be fun.  Otherwise, pointless even discussing it, at least until server code is being discussed.

Sure, I can agree with you here, currently PVP would be pointless, but I am talking about PVP in general, not PVP now.

As for illegal mods, anything can happen once the game goes to Steam Workshop. Certain companies use 3rd party applications to keep these in check, like BattleEye, etc.

I never played that in witcher.. never really liked trump like games.

Must be from the wrong era.

If large astroneer servers become a thing.. I suspect we'll see alot of grieving on them.   And alot of bans.

Post merged below

The thing is, how could you even pvp in astroneer.. given we've been told there's no guns.  So outside of making alot of holes or covering bases etc with dirt.. the odd dynamite landing next to people who're afk/hiding in a storm and maybe the odd soul sinking under the map..

How would you pvp?

At this time, there's no real method to do it, until more content is added, what would be the point.

I can see grieving or griefing.. being done.. (you know griefing isn't an accepted word even tho thousands of people are using it for nearly half a decade)

Edited by Wyvyrias
Merged posts

11 minutes ago, piespace said:

You misunderstood me:
"This is not how it works" was referring to "people can't get banned for that, because it simply won't work to begin with" (assuming he was talking about injecting such mods into servers that are not his own).

Server forcing to you download mods that they offer is perfectly normal. But that won't work vice-versa.

1 minute ago, Wyvyrias said:

You misunderstood me:
"This is not how it works" was referring to "people can't get banned for that, because it simply won't work to begin with" (assuming he was talking about injecting such mods into servers that are not his own).

I actually did misunderstand the context but we're all on the same page now.

2 minutes ago, piespace said:

I actually did misunderstand the context but we're all on the same page now.

I phrased it badly to be honest.

Btw I added a "controversial" tag + prefix to the thread.

I made a separate post.. on purpose lol.  Argh

And yes I know how mods work as per servers, that's not really my point. 

If someone made ABC Mod for Astroneer which added in pvp.  Made it available as a download.

Then only those who wanted to use it, could, so long as the host installed it.  So outside of developed game pvp, it would be impossible to force pvp into a game.  If the devs incl pvp as a natural form of interaction in astroneer.. that's a different issue.

Edited by Martin

So long as a pvp mod is up to the community to make and fuss with, I'm fine with that. It means the devs wont continually sacrifice good gameplay content and mechanics to 'make it balanced for official pvp play'.

6 minutes ago, Martin said:

The thing is, how could you even pvp in astroneer.. given we've been told there's no guns.  So outside of making alot of holes or covering bases etc with dirt.. the odd dynamite landing next to people who're afk/hiding in a storm and maybe the odd soul sinking under the map..

How would you pvp?

At this time, there's no real method to do it, until more content is added, what would be the point.

I can see grieving or griefing.. being done.. (you know griefing isn't an accepted word even tho thousands of people are using it for nearly half a decade)

I don't like speculating but there will be guns 100% in my opinion.

Who wouldn't like to blast some mushrooms? Or accidentally kill your friend for using all the compound. cNz6e4q.png

So much fun to be had from the simple things.