Barrius wilmoth

Multiplayer needs PvP and PvE

2 minutes ago, piespace said:

I don't like speculating but there will be guns 100% in my opinion. Who wouldn't like to blast some mushrooms?  Or accidentally kill your friend for using all the compound. cNz6e4q.pngSo much fun to be had from the simple things.

Or putting so much space into posts.   I dunno.  As it stands, outside of running people over.. I don't see the point.   Better to get the content in.. then discuss how you could go about playing King of the Hill on the Moon.

22 minutes ago, Frigidman said:

So long as a pvp mod is up to the community to make and fuss with, I'm fine with that. It means the devs wont continually sacrifice good gameplay content and mechanics to 'make it balanced for official pvp play'.

I agree 100%

Remember that PVP does NOT have to involve murdering each other.

Back before the days of online multiplayer my brother and I would play PVP driving games in the form of tag.

If it were up to me I would implement something that makes a player "It" when you click on them at a certain range. Like the thing that lets you say look at this (I forget what keys it is, shift rmb or something).

Being "It" and having to chase someone down to make them "it" shares some characteristics of FPS styled gameplay but without the murderous intent. Mostly.

On 11.1.2017 at 4:18 AM, Barrius wilmoth said:

So I kinda want to see this game become more expansive with a combat system and perhaps space combat. I thought it could in a sense be better than No Man's Sky. Or even bigger than Ark: Survival

Play Eve, Ark, The Division, etc. Space combat or even planetary based combat ... I don't know how they really shall implement that and comply with what people are expecting from PvP when they rever to games like Ark, etc., without changing the basic game mechanic at the moment.

Play duck duck duck goose with dynamite, turn it on, pass it to another player's backpack..

I dont think traditional PVP works well what the game in trying to achieve, also if you want some kind of competition you could just try to launch a ship with two habitats and to a radiated planet and try to build your base faster than the other player.

Competition isn't pvp anymore.

Pvp is murdering other people. 

Either it's running around guns blazing, dying, respawning, running around guns blazing..

Or it's running around in large groups, guns blazing, maybe dying, maybe a limited respawn time, running around in large groups..

Sometimes it's sitting in a tower or on the edge of a forest or at the back of a room sniping through a gap in the curtains, picking off the slow ones.

But it is always about killing.  Murder, Death, Kill.

It could be about a game of football.. it could be a race, it could be boxing.  But lets face it.. if you're playing a boxing game, you want one with blood in it, one with bones being broken, you want violence.  That's what pvp is now.  The more violent the better.. flamethrowers and grannies.. nukes in childrens parks..

And that's why people object to it so severely, because we've lost touch with what it used to mean.  It used to be fun for everyone, now it's just fun for one.

Edited by Martin

24 minutes ago, Martin said:

Competition isn't pvp anymore.

Pvp is murdering other people. 

Either it's running around guns blazing, dying, respawning, running around guns blazing..

Or it's running around in large groups, guns blazing, maybe dying, maybe a limited respawn time, running around in large groups..

Sometimes it's sitting in a tower or on the edge of a forest or at the back of a room sniping through a gap in the curtains, picking off the slow ones.

But it is always about killing.  Murder, Death, Kill.

It could be about a game of football.. it could be a race, it could be boxing.  But lets face it.. if you're playing a boxing game, you want one with blood in it, one with bones being broken, you want violence.  That's what pvp is now.  The more violent the better.. flamethrowers and grannies.. nukes in childrens parks..

And that's why people object to it so severely, because we've lost touch with what it used to mean.  It used to be fun for everyone, now it's just fun for one.

Well put, and with that, I agree with many that this game does not have that sort of feel.

As with alot of these threads I feel like I sit on the fence, I have had that bloodlust from PVP games, you get that adrenaline going. But again, this game just doesn't have that sort of feel to it yet. Who knows down the road with more content it may hit a point where PVP may be incorporated and not change the game style. 

Why does every game have to have PVP in it...there are so many games out there with PVP, go and play them...this game is about exploration and creation, not PVP.  It seems like every game that comes out, that looks promising, people come along and want PVP.  Then after that come the exploits, the Cheat Engines, etc.  If they were to make PVP, they would then have to work on anti-cheat programs.  And no game, and I mean none of them that have PVP are without cheating.  This game is hopefully going to be a great exploration game, and they don't need to split there time on creating two versions of the game.

There's an easy way to add a pvp aspect to the game without ruining it, and we've been using it since the start of the game.

The terrain tool has three modes (Build, dig, flatten). Another mode can be added called precision mode. This slowly shoots blocks at where you point the tool. The rocks can be equivalent to the rocks that get launched around during sandstorms. The rocks would be around half the size of the player. The speed they would be launched at would be the same as when the rocks fly around in the storm, and the first rate would be semi slow. This wouldn't make the whole game pvp, but it would give you something to defend your base if another player steals from it.

5 hours ago, Gh0st P3ngu1n said:

There's an easy way to add a pvp aspect to the game without ruining it, and we've been using it since the start of the game.

The terrain tool has three modes (Build, dig, flatten). Another mode can be added called precision mode. This slowly shoots blocks at where you point the tool. The rocks can be equivalent to the rocks that get launched around during sandstorms. The rocks would be around half the size of the player. The speed they would be launched at would be the same as when the rocks fly around in the storm, and the first rate would be semi slow. This wouldn't make the whole game pvp, but it would give you something to defend your base if another player steals from it.

That's actually a pretty creative idea. It would also lead to some quite silly looking close combat fights. :D

5 hours ago, Gh0st P3ngu1n said:

Shoot blocks to kill plants!! Modify your gun with THRUSTER to give it a boost! 
Maybe not allow for continuous shooting, maybe it cosumes like 5 bars of power just to shoot once. Makes bullets count more. 

22 hours ago, mrgrr26 said:

Why does every game have to have PVP in it...there are so many games out there with PVP, go and play them...this game is about exploration and creation, not PVP.  It seems like every game that comes out, that looks promising, people come along and want PVP.  Then after that come the exploits, the Cheat Engines, etc.  If they were to make PVP, they would then have to work on anti-cheat programs.  And no game, and I mean none of them that have PVP are without cheating.  This game is hopefully going to be a great exploration game, and they don't need to split there time on creating two versions of the game.

Because the gamer base in general wants PVP.  It seems as though it doesn't matter what a game intends to start out as, the addition of PVP has been proven to improve net sales.

Personally, I've had years and years of FPS and PVP, in games that did them well, so it gets old when every new game that comes out starts with PVP, even if it's just a default game engine landform with guns added - people will buy it and play it. Pathetic, but true; we seem to like games that allow us to kill each other. Or worse seeing EA games start with one genre in mind, only to add PVP later to it to bump sales.

Even the mighty Minecraft had to add PVP, and as a result, the useless Enchanting to boost weapons and armor to serve it - and with the worst combat ever, yet players lapped it up and sales increased tenfold.

In the end, it will be System Era that will have to decide - because the general sentiment is to add everything from other games into a new game, so that everything ends up being generic.

52 minutes ago, ent|ty said:

Because the gamer base in general wants PVP.  It seems as though it doesn't matter what a game intends to start out as, the addition of PVP has been proven to improve net sales.

Personally, I've had years and years of FPS and PVP, in games that did them well, so it gets old when every new game that comes out starts with PVP, even if it's just a default game engine landform with guns added - people will buy it and play it. Pathetic, but true; we seem to like games that allow us to kill each other. Or worse seeing EA games start with one genre in mind, only to add PVP later to it to bump sales.

Even the mighty Minecraft had to add PVP, and as a result, the useless Enchanting to boost weapons and armor to serve it - and with the worst combat ever, yet players lapped it up and sales increased tenfold.

In the end, it will be System Era that will have to decide - because the general sentiment is to add everything from other games into a new game, so that everything ends up being generic.

You are correct. My point is that this game is so opposite of PVP that you would have to totally change the dynamic of the game to make it PVP.  I want them to develop what they have in mind first, if the finish the roadmap that they have now, then decide to add PVP, in its own type of game, and have the two PvE and PvP then that is fine.  They just need to stick to their guns and finish with they idea they have, not change it because a bunch of people are crying for PvP.

5 hours ago, Morten Sandø said:

I dont like pvp. Perhaps if there were to be pvp It could be optional?

Exactly what I am saying.  Let them complete the game that they have a vision of, and then they can add it on its own, where you choose to do it on dedicated servers when the have them.

In my opinion there should be Weapons / PVP in game but it need to be introduced to game without making "peaceful" players upset.
I mean that PVP should be optional. If someone don't want to fight then no one forces him.

Simple option in server settings to Enable/Disable PVP should be the best solution.

On 1/14/2017 at 6:06 PM, mrgrr26 said:

Exactly what I am saying.  Let them complete the game that they have a vision of, and then they can add it on its own, where you choose to do it on dedicated servers when the have them.

The stronger the core of the game the better. Then if modders want to add PVP or even Technic/Tekkit style machine addons, it can be done at that point. If the core is solid and sound, and the API made available, the game could be extended from there.

As a developer, why spend the extra time on adding weapons, targeting systems, and everything that entails PVP, when you could make just as much money releasing the game as a simple but efficient gameplay core, and let the community extend it? Profit wise, its a pretty smart move, though a bit sketchy, depending on who you talk to :D

Can you imagine if the USA did a ban on violent computer games.. like the germans did with red blood.. or the chinese for that matter.    The effect it'd have on the games market..

And new games on yonder horizon.. without pvp.

You can play pvp right now, just find a Dynamite and place on your friends backpack, it's a insta kill.

Try harvesting some dynamites and challenge your friends to a pvp match.

You can burry you friends on the ground and let them suffocate, or just dig a very deep hole until your friend fall inside a cave and die.

All of these are pvp to me.

On 16.01.2017 at 7:55 PM, ent|ty said:

As a developer, why spend the extra time on adding weapons, targeting systems, and everything that entails PVP, when you could make just as much money releasing the game as a simple but efficient gameplay core, and let the community extend it? Profit wise, its a pretty smart move, though a bit sketchy, depending on who you talk to :D

Your post remind me about a game released on PS3 - LittleBigPlanet 2. Gameplay core was amazing.

1 hour ago, DragonAstroneer said:

Your post remind me about a game released on PS3 - LittleBigPlanet 2. Gameplay core was amazing.

Core game is all that matters. Then it can be extended to include anything the imagination comes up with..

Until then, if chicken meat keeps dropping from deers and bears... one has to wonder if game cores are being worked on at all ;)

No thanks to PVP. I would like some more PVE though: more plants, alien life, monsters, rogue space travellers etc. But I guess the game should be more about exploration, science and base-building than combat - with some survival concepts. Hunger and thirst would get annoying and be a logistical challenge - maybe make this optional for those that want to add this to their games.