Ogden Tector

Can Steam users play with Windows Store users?

First off this game is awesome; I'm definitely going to buy it. The one thing from stopping me is whether to get it on the Windows Store or Steam. If I get it on the Windows Store I get it on Xbox (thanks for participating in that program).

Can Windows Store users (PC) play with Steam users?

1 hour ago, DanielCoffey said:

I don't believe so, no.

This is correct
Cross-play will be only supported between the Xbox One and Windows 10 Store version (it's being worked on).

36 minutes ago, Ogden Tector said:

That's too bad. Is there a reason for that?

This is the case for most games. They don't have cross platform support.

I am not sure on the exact reasons but there are probably limitations that won't allow connections through different platforms.

1 hour ago, Ogden Tector said:

That's too bad. Is there a reason for that?

System Era does not have an own server infrastructure. And asking Microsoft and Valve to link their servers and session management to enable cross-platform like that would be a pointless act. :P

However, those of us looking forward to the long off days of Dedicated Servers fully expect this to be resolved.  It just takes time to build said infrastructure.

Dedicated servers as I see them, will be run at the behest of users. Those who have their own hardware, or rent virtual hardware to run the server. If the server code is setup correctly, it theoretically should not care which kind of windows version connects to it. And if the in-game UI allows "Connect via direct IP:Port", then I do not see why valve, nor microsoft need to be introduced into the mix at all.

In fact, when I run my own private DS for games like these, I make them PRIVATE and firewall/block the valve trackers from knowing of my DS.

Maybe, there will be a test server the devs run, but getting access will be tight... but definitely they will not run a slew of public servers for people to join (thats a money sink, and not needed).