Considering how bumpy the terrain is on most of the planets' surfaces with all the rocks and stuff, a feature that implements a road-building system would be nice. As amusing as watching my truck tumble on is, it can get frustrating too..

Just now, shady egg said:

Considering how bumpy the terrain is on most of the planets' surfaces with all the rocks and stuff, a feature that implements a road-building system would be nice. As amusing as watching my truck tumble on is, it can get frustrating too..

Haha I agree, it's fun bumbling along the surface but it would be really nice to have some kind of road. I guess you could manually do it, but that would take a VERY long time at the moment. Perhaps in the future there could be modules that can be attached to trucks, one that slowly pumps down asphalt-type ground to drive on, and maybe a gyroscope module that keeps your truck from getting knocked over for the most part, allowing your suspension to go over things without knocking you sky-high.

I have been digging shallow ditches and smoothing them out for roads. It would be nice to have something you could mount onto the front of the truck that would do that. Maybe give it a high energy cost when it's in use.

I support this idea as well, right now driving your truck can be tricky and smoothing the terrain takes ages if you want to do it properly. A tool on the truck like mardok mentioned could be nice, or an other way to build roads could be something like where you have to put different kind of tethers in to the ground and in the space between them the road is build. Of course you need recourse to build it.

My submitted idea for an adjustable terrain tool aperture is largely due to my attempts at making roads between my bases.

I love the idea of something you could mount onto a vehicle that could be used to pave away. Maybe have it require compound or resin and lay down an actual road surface?

3 hours ago, Taolan said:

Maybe have it require compound or resin and lay down an actual road surface?

That could be a really nice trade-off actually, maybe requiring a combination of both?

You could build a grader in the mechanical bay, which attaches permanently to the front of your truck.

While driving your truck, press shift to activate the grader, and level the ground (to make a road!!)

Huzzah! Great idea!

You could even put on the back of a truck a tank that holds (bitumen) that you could layer onto your road, behind your truck. The whole works!

Edited by Bluebehir

18 hours ago, Taolan said:

I love the idea of something you could mount onto a vehicle that could be used to pave away. Maybe have it require compound or resin and lay down an actual road surface?

This would be great and would be a sustainable process with those abundant resources used. Roads would also help with navigation.

12 hours ago, Bluebehir said:

You could build a grader in the mechanical bay, which attaches permanently to the front of your truck.

While driving your truck, press shift to activate the grader, and level the ground (to make a road!!)

Huzzah! Great idea!

You could even put on the back of a truck a tank that holds (bitumen) that you could layer onto your road, behind your truck. The whole works!

I like the tank idea. Maybe a thing like the trade module that you can attach road materials to.

Yes, yes, yes!  All of these ideas sound great. I'm tired of running half speed on my truck so I don't run into a hidden canyon or a forgotten excavation.

On 1/10/2017 at 1:51 PM, shady egg said:

I think that having a portable construction device, like the one teased by the devs, would be OPTIMAL for constructing nice flat roads to and from frequently traveled locations. Perhaps the mobile constructor could build it in sections. The stationary one would also build said sections however they would have to be manually picked up and placed a la research nodes.