SES_Adam

"117" - January 9th, 2017

42 minutes ago, Pi_ said:

Is there some other method to install the update for PC players who don't use Steam?

I opened the Windows Store and Astroneer started updating automatically. Try that.

45 minutes ago, PachaTaco said:

hey question did this update also fix that UE4-Astro issue ?

If you can be more specific we can probably answer. What issue? Can you link a forum post where it's described?

7 minutes ago, piespace said:

If you can be more specific we can probably answer. What issue? Can you link a forum post where it's described?

I'm sorry I cant seem to find anything that would help on the forums but i could give you a run down on what happens. so I bought the game the day it came out on Dec 15, when i went to launch the game i got nothing, ( as in as soon as i launched the game it automatically crashed and the Unreal Engine Crash reporter said " An Unreal Process has crashed and it follows buy saying :UE4-Astro im just too in love with how the game looks and ive just been bummed out that i have never been able to play it :( so idk if there is anything that could fix it i would give it a try its just I dont want to go over the 2 hour refund policy steam has 

5 minutes ago, PachaTaco said:

I'm sorry I cant seem to find anything that would help on the forums but i could give you a run down on what happens. so I bought the game the day it came out on Dec 15, when i went to launch the game i got nothing, ( as in as soon as i launched the game it automatically crashed and the Unreal Engine Crash reporter said " An Unreal Process has crashed and it follows buy saying :UE4-Astro im just too in love with how the game looks and ive just been bummed out that i have never been able to play it :( so idk if there is anything that could fix it i would give it a try its just I dont want to go over the 2 hour refund policy steam has 

I'd say your best bet on getting a solution would be to read through this article and find the logs: https://forum.systemera.net/topic/11-has-your-astroneer-crashed-help-them-blast-off-again-by-reporting-the-crash/

Once you have both the Astroneer crash log and dxdiag log, please create a new thread under Crashes and someone should be able to assist. You can mention me in the post as well and I can take a look. No guarantee I can fix it for you but I've been able to assist others with certain issues in the past.

17 minutes ago, piespace said:

I'd say your best bet on getting a solution would be to read through this article and find the logs: https://forum.systemera.net/topic/11-has-your-astroneer-crashed-help-them-blast-off-again-by-reporting-the-crash/

Once you have both the Astroneer crash log and dxdiag log, please create a new thread under Crashes and someone should be able to assist. You can mention me in the post as well and I can take a look. No guarantee I can fix it for you but I've been able to assist others with certain issues in the past.

i cant get the crash log but i still do have my dxdiag log would that be enough for some knowledge of the issue?

Edited by PachaTaco

Just now, PachaTaco said:

i cant get the crash log but i still do have my dxdiag log would that be enough for some knowledge of the issue?

Well, I guess I can see if you system meets minimum requirements. Let's no go so far offtopic here, create a new thread with your issue under crashes and mention me there. Also post the dxdiag log as well.

If you can't get the Astro log, at least post a screenshot of that crash screen.

1 hour ago, Pi_ said:

To actually get the update on PC (non-Steam PC), all we should have to do is start the game, correct?  The update should be installed automatically, correct?  Is there some other method to install the update for PC players who don't use Steam?

38 minutes ago, MudAnimal said:

I opened the Windows Store and Astroneer started updating automatically. Try that.

Thanks @MudAnimal, the Windows Store is indeed the answer.  However the download did not start automatically.  The Windows Store opens to it's Home page, then you must go to the Astroneer page (use the Search box, or go to Games section).  On the Astroneer page you should see the Update button.

20 minutes ago, piespace said:

Well, I guess I can see if you system meets minimum requirements. Let's no go so far offtopic here, create a new thread with your issue under crashes and mention me there. Also post the dxdiag log as well.

If you can't get the Astro log, at least post a screenshot of that crash screen.

will do thanks again!!

2 hours ago, piespace said:

You should get used to the idea of having to start a new save each patch roll-out. The joy of Early Access.

There are still more optimizations to be done. I really don't imagine people thought that this patch would resolve performance issues once and for good. 9_9

i should have started with:  The game is great.  i can see the potential.  i understand the conditions of the Alpha ( have participated in Alpha & Beta's over my 30+ years of gaming).

now that that is said; are you saying that i should start a new save with every rollout because :

1. my performance will be better from a fresh start on new patch
  2. my prior saves cannot be corrected

23 minutes ago, NjalStorm said:

i should have started with:  The game is great.  i can see the potential.  i understand the conditions of the Alpha ( have participated in Alpha & Beta's over my 30+ years of gaming).

now that that is said; are you saying that i should start a new save with every rollout because :

1. my performance will be better from a fresh start on new patch
  2. my prior saves cannot be corrected

1. Well, not saying that you need to start one at each roll-out, but sometimes it's the best way to actually test performance.

2. I believe the Devs are doing their best so you can still use your old saves when changing from one patch to another. Also, it depends exactly what changes in the patch. Not really a yes/no question.

3 minutes ago, Tripp84 said:

But nothing to address the frames issue? i just got into game and immediately stutter at 20fps.

Does your PC meet minimum requirements?

3 minutes ago, Tripp84 said:

But nothing to address the frames issue? i just got into game and immediately stutter at 20fps.

I've observed the same issue when loading up a older, more populated save. I suspect they are still working on the low fps issue as the patch notes don't specifically mention a fix. We will just have to be patient and wait for the next patch. This version has been out for a while on the experimental branch and still seems suffers from the lag build up.

Just now, piespace said:

Does your PC meet minimum requirements?

lol ya, do any PC not meet the minimums for this game these days? and i was reading you helping the guy up top with the unreal engine error. I played 25 hours then got it 3 times in 2 hours. i made a post a few days ago but no one gave any insight on the issue. ill post the link with a screenshot of the error maybe give you an idea of what it is?

i5-3570k

2x HD7970

16GB DDr3 Dominator Platinum

Win 7 64bit

2 minutes ago, WhosTog said:

I've observed the same issue when loading up a older, more populated save. I suspect they are still working on the low fps issue as the patch notes don't specifically mention a fix. We will just have to be patient and wait for the next patch. This version has been out for a while on the experimental branch and still seems suffers from the lag build up.

ya ill be patient, i just thought it would be a top priority and be in patch notes. they were tweeting about it being fixed, or atleast bandaided. they were tweeting to people asking if the next patch would fix fps with "we think you will be happy". It was one of if not the most complained about issue, people were getting refunds because it was so bad for so many people. i just got in and it was terrible. But i will stand by :)

1 minute ago, Tripp84 said:

lol ya, do any PC not meet the minimums for this game these days? and i was reading you helping the guy up top with the unreal engine error. I played 25 hours then got it 3 times in 2 hours. i made a post a few days ago but no one gave any insight on the issue. ill post the link with a screenshot of the error maybe give you an idea of what it is?

i5-3570k

2x HD7970

16GB DDr3 Dominator Platinum

Win 7 64bit

If I had to make a guess, I'd say you get the crash because you're running Crossfire. As this is Pre-Alpha, I doubt that multi-gpu support is a thing.

I'd suggest disabling one of the GPUs just for the sake of the test. One should be enough to run this game in any case.

As for minimum requirements, the ones posted are actually meant for the finished product. There are a lot of laptops that meet whose requirements but struggle running the game.

As for your CPU, I am guessing you're OC-ing it. Can you also check your temps when the crash occurs? (more interested in CPU temps than GPU).

10 minutes ago, piespace said:

If I had to make a guess, I'd say you get the crash because you're running Crossfire. As this is Pre-Alpha, I doubt that multi-gpu support is a thing.

I'd suggest disabling one of the GPUs just for the sake of the test. One should be enough to run this game in any case.

As for minimum requirements, the ones posted are actually meant for the finished product. There are a lot of laptops that meet whose requirements but struggle running the game.

As for your CPU, I am guessing you're OC-ing it. Can you also check your temps when the crash occurs? (more interested in CPU temps than GPU).

i have crossfire disabled, it acts up with GTA V for some reason so i leave it off unless i play BF1.

CPU never gets over 48C, hovers around 45C. its oc'd to 4.1

the frames for the game were fine for the first 25 to 28 hours. then i started getting all the problems other folks were talking about, almost unplayable, 10-20fps. Even on a new planet with nothing built. but it used to be super smooth and beautiful to play. Will just wait until the next patch to see if it gets better though

Edited by Tripp84
spelling

17 minutes ago, Tripp84 said:

i have crossfire disabled, it acts up with GTA V for some reason so i leave it off unless i play BF1.

CPU never gets over 48C, hovers around 45C. its oc'd to 4.1

the frames for the game were fine for the first 25 to 28 hours. then i started getting all the problems other folks were talking about, almost unplayable, 10-20fps. Even on a new planet with nothing built. but it used to be super smooth and beautiful to play. Will just wait until the next patch to see if it gets better though

Having crossfire disabled might not be enough as your pc still has 2 gpus, allthough identical. I would still try to disable one from task manager for the sake of the test.. Will look into it further when I get home. Cheers

19 minutes ago, EvilMonkey8521 said:

So not only did you cut the value in half for fuel you doubled the time and energy. So pretty much you just nerfed it by a factor of 6. Okay.

I first played in 115, I didn't even know that it was 'harder'. Realistically, trade platforms make the game super easy, and the fuel can be made from NOTHING, you literally can sit there and don't have to mine anymore and get all the resources you need. 

I personally don't use it at all.