Joe

Vehicles

Dear Developers

Gentlemen I hope you look at this post at strongly consider the ides here as I believe this will make Astroneer a far better game. We already have the barebones of what I'm suggesting so building on top of it wouldnt take much. I would like to bring your attention to a toy line sold in the UK in the late 1980's. These vehicles were called Explorer 12s with four different designs Polar, Ocean, Space & Terrain. They were all terrain, multi-wheel drive tractors and trailers whith various modular trailer loads. This is the charm of these little vehicles is that even though there were only two chassis i.e. tractor and trailer the loads could be swapped out for anything in the range. Loads included Mechanical Shovel, Mechanical Grab, Accommodation Module, Communications Dome, Spare Wheels, Oxygen Capsules (trailer with the little balls), Hospital, Solar Panel and many others. See pics below

I must stress that the key to these was an all wheel drive which is something the game doesn't do at the moment. The connections between the rover/truck and preceding vehicles are far far to flexible, they need to be much more rigid! Also the trailers should follow the tractor unit under their own power meaning all wheel steering and wheel wheel drive. This will give a superior vehicle for transversing all kinds of terrain which ultimately you would need on Alien worlds.

Opinions?

26052010319.jpg

26052010318.jpg

26052010316.jpg

26052010321.jpg

Image32.jpg

Image10.jpg

That's what the vehicles reminded me of! Explorers! Man, I loved those things.

Yeah, I feel that a more rigid connection would be more suitable. Something slower but with excellent suspension, I think, would be much better for traversing the terrain. Especially since the current vehicles tend to spear and flip themselves on rocks, therefore making their speed a bit useless. And an explorer 12 type vehicle would handle the current binary acceleration better.

I think Joe has a great suggestion, although I think these would need weight and traction to really benefit from their design. i.e so we can leave them on a gradient without them sliding away.

They fit really into the modular nature of the current vehicle set.  Also, I'm seeing the plow on the Explorer 12s. Perhaps something like that in same to smooth out terrain? I don't know about anybody else but I like to flatten out a nice area for my bases and a big plow would be great for that!

Defiantly weight and more tractive effort! Maybe we should go down the route of six wheel driver per unit?

Agree , But First They Have To Make Vehicles More Stable , And Make Them Not Bounce To Space From A Single Pebble.

Totaly!

Not to mention the controls need looked at big time. Why are the controls reversed around with the camera view? IMO camera view shouldn't come into it.

3 minutes ago, Draks said:

The Camera View Is A Bit Harder To Edit , So Are Controls. :P

I'd go as far to say that it's all hard to edit but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be looked at. Y'know?

Just now, Struecker said:

I'd go as far to say that it's all hard to edit but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be looked at. Y'know?

I can't see why the vehicles wouldn't handle like in any other game .

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

I can't see why the vehicles wouldn't handle like in any other game .

Cus Its A Unique 3rd Person Camera View Already From High Top , You Need That View To See Around For Other Resources.So This Game Isnt Like The Others.

7 minutes ago, Struecker said:

Agreed :)

1 minute ago, Draks said:

Cus Its A Unique 3rd Person Camera View Already From High Top , You Need That View To See Around For Other Resources.So This Game Isnt Like The Others.

Unique? Hardly its the same camera as you'll find in any 3rd person camera game. If in GTA for example (and there are many many examples) looking behind the controls for the vehicle don't invert depending on the direction I'm observing. If I want to reverse then the vehicle reverses regardless of my view. It certainly should not decide to turn around! 

Ohh Now I Get What You Mean , No That Would Be Easy To Edit , I Agree About That , I Thought You Were Talking About Sensitivity Messures , I Apologized I Rushed To An Conclusion Whitout Acutally Getting What You Said . xD And It Is Unique Fir Sensiticity Messuring And Similar Its Diffrent Than GTA.

2 minutes ago, Draks said:

Ohh Now I Get What You Mean , No That Would Be Easy To Edit , I Agree About That , I Thought You Were Talking About Sensitivity Messures , I Apologized I Rushed To An Conclusion Whitout Acutally Getting What You Said . xD And It Is Unique Fir Sensiticity Messuring And Similar Its Diffrent Than GTA.

No worries :)

On 9/1/2017 at 1:52 PM, Draks said:

Agree , But First They Have To Make Vehicles More Stable , And Make Them Not Bounce To Space From A Single Pebble.

Agreed, so before we add new and more badass vehicles, we should remark that driving mechanics work like if you were onf iceskates (almost no traction). I even made a post about it in suggestions

May i suggest something along the lines of this vehicle for a mobile HAB module.

26052010321.thumb.jpg.b51b3eb566cc217482e4cb590235a735.jpg

Edited by Joe

On 1/9/2017 at 9:56 AM, Draks said:

Why Are You Typing Like This?

Also, this is a great idea!

Edited by Sea_Kerman