Astroneer for Xbox or Astroneer for PC?

Mr. Badger

I have the ability and opportunity to do both right meow. I was wondering if any of you fine space cowboy and cowgirls could chime in. The only thing keeping me on Xbox right now is the size of my friends list. However I could be convinced to get it on PC as well.

Discuss!

Well, as they mentioned potential Steam Workshop integration, that certainly is a point for PC in my books. Otherwise I'm a pure pc gamer, I don't own any consoles, so I'm really not the person to ask for further comparison. ;)

I've played both and it runs so much better on pc, and the controls are horrible on console imho

Just now, Zylo said:

I've played both and it runs so much better on pc, and the controls are horrible on console imho

I've noticed this as well. Pre-alpha though :) I'm leaning more towards PC just because of the frequency of updates as opposed to Xbox.

Don't you have to pay a subscription to play multiplayer on xbox?  That's my argument right there.. pay.. lol.. no chance.

Besides, my hands are too big for xbox controllers.. maybe you don't have this issue.   End of the day, if you want to play coop, with your friends and they're on xbox.. then you're kinda limited to that hardware.

I have it on the Xbone. As Marin said above you do have to pay for Xbox live gold but if you are already paying it for other games then that doesn't really matter. I have watched some of the development on Twitch and they admitted that the Xbox version is way behind the PC version but they are going to correct that in an update "early this week" so hopefully that will improve the experience. I was playing it last night with a friend and we got booted a couple times and the frame rate got so choppy it was very hard to enjoy but hopefully the new patch/update will address some of that. Feel free to come watch us play it tonight Monday January 9th at 8PM Central time US at Twitch.tv/space_boots. We will be playing it over Xbox Live from 2 different locations. I hope this helps in your decision!

7 hours ago, Mr. Badger said:

I have the ability and opportunity to do both right meow. I was wondering if any of you fine space cowboy and cowgirls could chime in. The only thing keeping me on Xbox right now is the size of my friends list. However I could be convinced to get it on PC as well.

Discuss!

Astroneer is part of the xbox play anywhere program so if you own this game on xbox then you can already play it on any PC for free and vice versa (if you bought it on the windows store). All you have to do is log into the Microsoft store with using your email that is tied to xbox gamer tag, search for the game, and hit the install button. Your save games also transfer between both systems and you can play with all of your friends on xbox live even if your using your PC. Have fun out there!

Edit: You also have to have windows 10 installed on your PC for all of this to work as well. The steam version of astroneer does not have crossplay and does not qualify for the play anywhere program.

Edited by Michael Vinson

pc is better because you get 60+ fps better graphics and performance its cheaper then xbox/ps4 and we can upgrade

7 hours ago, Mr. Badger said:

Discuss!

8 hours ago, Mr. Badger said:

,,,I'm leaning more towards PC just because of the frequency of updates as opposed to Xbox.

I realize we are in the minority, but there are in fact PC users who don't want Steam.  We are not enjoying the frequency of updates just like Xbox.

We received an update on the Xbox One today and I see a slight increase in performance along with the trade value on recourses and power consumption of the fuel condenser.

Where can I find the patch notes?

Edited by Freeform64

If you have the ability to do both, do both! B|

I personally like PC for the ability to use a keyboard. 

It's cheap and good, do both. :)

But normally my answer to the question is to go Steam because it's more future-proof. No matter how much computers evolve, you will still own those games, and any system that supports Steam will give you access (including console style setups).

XBox is a much more tightly controlled system, and one that you must pay gold membership for even just to watch Netflix. When the XBO came out, a good portion of my 360 games became irrelevant. I never feel like this with Steam, I could install and play a game I bought in 1998 with no issue.

I would suggest he get it from the wind10 store since he has both, that purchase will give him both. It wont be steam compatible, but he did say he has more friends on xbox anyway. When he doesnt want to play with friends, he can fire it up on pc and enjoy it.

However a question he has to consider: Even though he has more friends on xbox... where does he have the most friends who will PLAY this game?

14 minutes ago, Frigidman said:

However a question he has to consider: Even though he has more friends on xbox... where does he have the most friends who will PLAY this game?

I wonder if the Devs will ever release data on that, maybe not sales figures, but amount of players that engage in multiplayer games. 

On 1/10/2017 at 10:37 AM, Forgo said:

I wonder if the Devs will ever release data on that, maybe not sales figures, but amount of players that engage in multiplayer games. 

Some metrics collection would be cool to see.

Number of hours who engage in co-op. Number of hours who do solo. Number of people on each platform (xbox, win10 store pc version, steam pc version).

The numbers of owners of the steam version are quite amazing for what I consider a 'sleeper' (had very little hype and promoting):

https://steamdb.info/app/361420/graphs/