RustyXXL

Reliable means of Navigation

On 1/9/2017 at 10:38 AM, RustyXXL said:

Sadly I can't put it in the op, but @Ferocious posted this nice example picture in the aforementioned minimap thread.

This would be awesome, I'm having the exact same problem as OP. I've got 2 trucks, a rover and a shuttle lost out on Terran and I keep going in circles trying to find them. I kind of figured I must be skunked at a pole or something and the magnetics keep flopping on me

On 1/9/2017 at 2:53 PM, AutoMcD said:

First off, you have a compass. When heading out it only takes a second to check it.

I applied some tricks I learned in MC to avoid getting lost when exploring. Mainly, always put tethers on the right side of the cave when walking out. That way you know which way the path home is, walk so that they are on the left! If you are in a larger area that's not so easy defined, draw arrows. I've seen some place clumps of tethers as a signal. If I leave myself a sign in the dirt, I'll drop extra energy or some item on it to get my attention. 

Outdoors, look back to your base every now and then. If the marker is getting hard to see, or you're entering mountains, then drop a beacon. If you have multiple beacons strung along, whip out your tool and draw an arrow in the dirt.

i just saw a trick on Reddit, a guy pointed the tool at his feet and made the tallest spire he could, them put the beacon on top. Could see it even over mountains!

How did he get down from the spires without dying? My DP is a spire I built and I really died good jumping off that one, right through the planet.

14 hours ago, travin said:

+1 on Both

As for some of the other ideas, I really like the idea of being able to achieve skills or the ability to construct additional tools for wayfinding and others. Perhaps this will come once Mods become available.

I'd like to see

1. Compass for all vehicles - There are times when you can use it while in a spaceship.
  2. Expandable, labeled Compass - Make it more like a survival compass. the compass has additional capabilities, including markers you can label. Or perhaps the labels for other markers would show up, but only with a certain mouse gesture or key press, to maintain the simplicity of the interface. More precise and has advanced wayfinding functions like a real compass, perhaps even with enhanced camera function - like looking into a scope.
  3. Color Coded tethers
  4. Tether Markers - colored and labeled, you could place a marker anywhere on a tether or tether line that can be positioned like a street sign - locked.
  5. Flashing Markers - colored, especially for subterranean ventures. Placed on a tether line makes the tethers pulsate with the flashing rhythm.
  6. Flares - for signaling to others in multiplayer mode, when you're so far away they can't see your marker.
  7. Drone - send a fixed-duration drone into an area to explore or map.

Yes, yes and yes. I'm really into this whole exploring think, it's cool af but I've spent the last 2 times playing just trying to recover all my lost crap, it's gotten so exponentially worse.

1 hour ago, erikinthebakery said:

They are also blocked by clouds and fade due to distance/atmosphere. Truth be told, my 21st century cell phone is better able to help me find home than my Astroneer's 25th century beacons. ;)

They haven't set up a satnav system on these new planets. (which, as other people have said, would be an interesting thing to add in the future)

i think a compass thats visible while inside a vehicle would be sufficient. even without compass you can easily identify east an west just by looking at the stars moving.

On 1/9/2017 at 6:40 PM, Frigidman said:

A small handheld computer that lets you manage beacons, and select one to 'ping' (where thats the only arrow on your compass), would be a great help over what we have now with beacons. The biggest problem is that you reach so far (or go behind a mountain, or under ground) and can no longer see a darn waypoint anywhere.

This little computer could be a button on your backpack, you click, and it floats up a console with listed beacons/habitats/players. You select one, and it makes it the current guiding arrow on compass. From there, you can usually figure your way to it. Changing your target as you go, or leaving it set to 'home' all the time.

Personally, with a dozen beacons out, and nearby, the horizon is a mess of shit. Odd markers that look like guitar picks, floating in the sky. It seems to counter to the UI 'on the astronaut'. I would rather those markers be hovering on the astronauts on-board holographic compass display lol.

Anyhow, thats my bit. No trolling from me about some unrelated other thread.

I think that this seems the best idea, without making it too easy. Could have it so that when you have the computer out it uses up energy from your backpack.

7 hours ago, kiefac said:

1. It would be hard to imagine a compass in space, since compasses are based off of magnetic fields... But maybe if it just pointed towards all of the planets, and maybe one that points towards the sun.

2. +1, maybe even add actual cameras, like CCTV-style? accessible from a certain radius away but they get more static-y the farther you go. Not that they'd be useful for anything other than making sure your solar array hasn't been blown away in a dust storm, but maybe for if we get more hostile creatures.

3. Please. +1+1+1+1

4. Sort of achievable with beacons. +0.5

5. Maybe just regular colorable lights. +1

6. Not really useful if you don't get other people to play with you, and might make a beginning player waste resources. Again, its also sort of achievable with beacons. +0

7. Maybe not fixed-duration, and probably not to make a map, but repair/terraforming drones would be interesting. (especially the terraforming ones. Have one smooth out an entire area so your base can be perfectly flat?) +0.5

Nameable beacons or beacons where you can change the guitar pick's icon would be helpful as well.

1. I haven't said anything about a compass in space. I said a compass on a spaceship. When you're sitting in your ship due to a storm you can still do things and I think a compass would be helpful to pass the time.

2.Like looking into a scope, similar to using a sighting wire in a survival compass or a sextant. I've just extended the idea to make it work like a scope so you can change to a more useful view that the normal camera view can't provide.

6. It is useful if you can't see someone's marker, especially on the other side of a mountain. And if you shoot a flare that is at a high altitude you can see if from a very long distance, so it's useful.

7. The fixed duration is similar to filters and power cells, they are a crutch to get you past a bad situation but can't use it continually because it breaks the game.

Beyond that, please offer your own ideas.

Edited by travin

5 hours ago, chris.pyke said:

Yes, yes and yes. I'm really into this whole exploring think, it's cool af but I've spent the last 2 times playing just trying to recover all my lost crap, it's gotten so exponentially worse.

Yeah, I really would like to see some traditional wayfinding methods incorporated, other than a compass. It's a good teaching tool because a lot of kids are going to be playing this game and, well, they work.

On 1/9/2017 at 10:40 AM, Frigidman said:

A small handheld computer that lets you manage beacons...

That seems like it could be it's own side development project, maybe a mod?

I'd like to point out that the compass would only work on a planet that actually has a magnetic core. Not all planets do.

Excuse my excessive realism. -_-

20 minutes ago, travin said:

That seems like it could be it's own side development project, maybe a mod?

Ooo. If modding was that open, that would be ... mind running wild! Stop me! STOP MEEE.

14 minutes ago, Frigidman said:

Ooo. If modding was that open, that would be ... mind running wild! Stop me! STOP MEEE.

Off-topic:
It's an interesting thought that, what if modding became part of the skill building in the game? Within specific parameters, you can make your own devices to help you in the game.

15 hours ago, travin said:

1. I haven't said anything about a compass in space. I said a compass on a spaceship. When you're sitting in your ship due to a storm you can still do things and I think a compass would be helpful to pass the time.

oh, you mean when the ship is landed. That makes more sense

I think it would be fun to give the player(s) the possibility to make their own map of the surrounding, supplying a empty map under hotkey (M) and make it possible to draw in it and save the map. And if needed the possibility to share the map you made with other players or update it realtime so you can see what your friends make from it.

I like the compass on vehicles idea and it seems like it would be simple to implement.

Adding a "home is this way" indicator to the compass would also be a nice help without giving everything away.

I think the mini map is a good idea... However,

How to implement it with keeping the survival aspect. A launched satellite would probably be the best option to keep it with the whole space theme. Yes, as I read earlier in the thread you are against that because of the randomness of research. Lets be honest here, there is not all that much to research, so its not something you should just get right off the bat. Others have mentioned moving the space craft to a new type of building the launch pad type building. This would be a great addition to that idea. The ability to launch a satellite to give you a minimap of explored areas. 

2 minutes ago, DrWoo said:

Lets be honest here, there is not all that much to research, so its not something you should just get right off the bat.

There is not that much to research yet.

3 minutes ago, DrWoo said:

I think the mini map is a good idea...

I think my biggest problem with the minimap idea is how to make it work without spoiling the UI.

What if there where a (researchable, craftable) device that pointed the direction of home/beacons when it was in the side slots of the backpack? Maybe while it is running it projects an always-on compass. It could be balanced even further (if need be) by drawing power.

26 minutes ago, erikinthebakery said:

I think my biggest problem with the minimap idea is how to make it work without spoiling the UI.

Hologram? Like a cheesy Star-Wars-esque one where you open your hand and it shows up? then it could fly towards the camera like the backpack does and still be reasonably similar to the rest of the UI.

this thread is going the exact direction OP didn't want it to go, I'm sorry

51 minutes ago, erikinthebakery said:

There is not that much to research yet.

What if there where a (researchable, craftable) device that pointed the direction of home/beacons when it was in the side slots of the backpack? Maybe while it is running it projects an always-on compass. It could be balanced even further (if need be) by drawing power.

A always on compass would be fine as well. I get what the OP is saying, but I try to leave a trail of beacons or something to help me get back. used flowers in minecraft from time to time to help point me back home if needed. 

13 minutes ago, DrWoo said:

A always on compass would be fine as well.

Always on Compass, craftable, with a home indicator. Can be hooked to corner or a vehicle slot to work. Seems fairly balanced (and also optional for those who'd rather not).

Not sure if this is relavant as most of you are talking about more simple methods of gaining location...

But anyone here play Space Engineers? The game has an integrated GPS-like location system. I don't think the planets in Space Engineers rotate/orbit though, so I'm not sure how that would work in Astroneer's solar system. But the orbits are fixed, so they are predictable.

Maybe just plantary GPS setup by sending up small sattelites. The Terra planet has them by default, the other planets in the system requiring the player to set them up manually.

Its just an idea.

Edited by Phoenixstar117

when you are spelunking how about a depth gauge?

side note:  i drove about a mile away, entered a cave system, spent a week driving and tunneling down toward the core, when i returned i popped up in a cave 50 feet from my base.  it was epic'ally cool.

On 1/24/2017 at 7:11 AM, NjalStorm said:

when you are spelunking how about a depth gauge?

+1

More specifically, an altimeter. Since we're able to travel up and down, and the system has to calculate other variables, like gravity, this is already provided by the system but currently has no readout for it. Perhaps a mod could provide an onscreen altimeter like fps does.

I'm for a vehicle compass (easier then having to hop out just to use it). Otherwise I like how the current navigation. I like getting lost lol.

Maybe the ability to pick an icon when using a beacon. I.E renewable source symbol, numbers or letters.

I like the idea of Altimeter.  That would be cool to see your elevation when you go down into caves.  Not sure how useful it is, but definitely a cool 'statistic' to have on a Pop-Up Advanced HUD of some sort. 

I do like the idea that you need to use the Compass.  No one is smoking more reefer than I am, and I totally understand getting carried away and then lost.. But you just got to pay attention which direction you are wandering off in!   That feeling of "Oh No... I think it was this way back?" is really a cool feeling that makes the world seem larger than it is.  An ounce of preparation! 

Idea --- Allow the placement of SIGNPOSTS.  Allow for the player to type in the text on the Sign.  This way as you place beacons or make roads, you can place signs that will tell you where things are and explains.  This could allow for intersections.  "THIS WAY TO BASE B", etc. etc.  It would be a lot better looking than using the Terrain tool to make arrows.

9 hours ago, Capt_Schwank said:

I like the idea of Altimeter.  That would be cool to see your elevation when you go down into caves.  Not sure how useful it is, but definitely a cool 'statistic' to have on a Pop-Up Advanced HUD of some sort. 

Well, you understand how important to know left from right with a compass to prevent getting lost, and an altimeter is just a compass for up and down. in the caverns, especially some of the crazy winding ones on Barren, it's easy to lose your sense of how deep you are. But there are many, many uses for it on the surface too, like on mountains or in all the surface caverns on Exotic—more uses than I could list.

Edited by travin