MoonManKelvin

Fuel. (Mining, Production, Consumable)

Trading. (Exchange of resources)

Coop, Multiplayer.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nordish said:

That's just as wrong as it could be and just proves you do not read my and other replies. So you ignore what I write. No point to talk with you further.

All just opinions remember, no point listening to opinions if we aren't right or wrong.

23 minutes ago, Martin said:

We don't have:

Food/Water (Eating)

Farming.

Missions/Goal.

Buffs, Improvements (To current status quo, backpack, vehicles)

Currency.

Oh yeah, forgot about the devs talking about adding missions or goals in the future, although since this topic is about hunger and food has minimal relations to such, I'll ignore that for now. I'll add onto the list of things we don't have.

Building of indoor housing or structures.

AI creatures(Which I'm not that excited about so I would be fine with them not adding it or just waiting a while)

Satellites(This is something they were talking about adding in the future)

And finally the Creative Update(No not adding creative mode but ya know...all the creative stuff, this is gonna be their first big update)

Now I don't see any food or water being added to the creative update but it will bring an important feature which will be automation. Once automation is presented I think it will give everyone a better perspective of the difficulty that currently exist and difficulty that needs to be added to the game. I'm also sure it will give anyone who thinks time is an important factor disturbed by food another perspective or evidence to prove their existing propositions.

Yeh I'd say automation should be a separate issue as well.  Although it's also all tied into production systems. (from what we've seen in videos etc) I'd like to see both integrated automation and separate automation systems.   ie the ability to build say a mining drill on a truck, which whilst passing a line of tethers (or a new specific conveyor) passed resources back to a sorting/mass storage device or directly into a smelting/sorting system.   It could also be a limited level as well, ie just crane to local storage.

I'd add in Landscape Items as well.

Wrecks, Ruins, explorables.

I wouldn't mind hunger as long as it's not super demanding of you, requiring you to eat something, like, every in-game day or else you die that day. Humans can go for weeks without eating, and the technology in game is pretty crazy. To me, it wouldn't be unrealistic if the player could last for a few days off of one meal before negative effects kick in. When the player is officially hungry, the game could represent that by having the astroneer hold their stomachs and hunch over. To communicate to the player that hey you are actually nearing death by hunger, the astroneer could pass out briefly and ragdoll, and upon getting up the player would have maybe a little less than an in game day to get food before they perish of hunger.

On 1/8/2017 at 5:18 PM, MoonManKelvin said:

I can see why hunger would make sense and fit to a game like this, but wouldn't this make the a game a complete chore as this point? why would forcefully mining or crafting food feel like anything but a chore, the great thing  about Astroneer right now is at any given moment I can give myself a task and set out to do it. Rather then the game telling me to go do it. Just my thought.

I like that idea but i heard from them that they think they way they are going to do it in such a way it wont be like that

15 minutes ago, ClamJohnston said:

I wouldn't mind hunger as long as it's not super demanding of you, requiring you to eat something, like, every in-game day or else you die that day. Humans can go for weeks without eating, and the technology in game is pretty crazy. To me, it wouldn't be unrealistic if the player could last for a few days off of one meal before negative effects kick in. When the player is officially hungry, the game could represent that by having the astroneer hold their stomachs and hunch over. To communicate to the player that hey you are actually nearing death by hunger, the astroneer could pass out briefly and ragdoll, and upon getting up the player would have maybe a little less than an in game day to get food before they perish of hunger.

Yep. Not satisfying hunger may not immediately kill you but there's minor impediments from it. You might not be able to run as fast or have difficulty driving because your mind is foggy, or farming isn't quite as efficient, etc. This way they'd act like any other hit damage. It doesn't significantly interrupt the game, but it does change it a little. It wouldn't be until it's entirely neglected that it could seriously distract from gameplay. But I suspect by that time you'd have plenty of warnings.

On the other side of the coin there are both standard performance effciencies as well as enhancements. Have you been consuming regular organics or high quality farmed food or consuming from a store of some special plant from Exotic that gives you a boost, or improves the efficiency of other consumables? This could be very, very easy and seamless.

36 minutes ago, travin said:

Yep. Not satisfying hunger may not immediately kill you but there's minor impediments from it. You might not be able to run as fast or have difficulty driving because your mind is foggy, or farming isn't quite as efficient, etc. This way they'd act like any other hit damage. It doesn't significantly interrupt the game, but it does change it a little. It wouldn't be until it's entirely neglected that it could seriously distract from gameplay. But I suspect by that time you'd have plenty of warnings.

Exactly! Well fed player should be more efficient (better, faster, stronger). This should motivate to feed him every day.

4 hours ago, DragonAstroneer said:

Exactly! Well fed player should be more efficient (better, faster, stronger). This should motivate to feed him every day.

So you support sleeping 1/3 of the time and doing maybe a small click-fest to sleep as deep as possible as well? Because otherwise you are tired and are less efficient?

Remember what happens when you're suffocating from lack of oxygen.. a sort of slower form of that if you're starving, is what i'd expect.   A general 5% reduction in speed until you feed again. And eating shouldn't necessarily be a chore, it could simply be like putting fuel into a ship.  Click, Click.. sorted.

Feeding should be about caring for your astroneer, taking responsibility for him/her.  Without adding grind to the game in an unnecessary way.

4 minutes ago, nordish said:

So you support sleeping 1/3 of the time and doing nothing as well? Because otherwise you are tired and are less efficient?

You moan at me for using an endless wall of hunger then you go and do the same.. He didn't say he wanted to sleep one third of his day away.  You could be tired for 5 minutes. Maybe your astroneer pauses every 5-10mins and a little bubble appears over his head with a chicken nugget in it.

I like where this idea is going!

Make hunger/thirst something that is requires to to survive? Nice for survival lovers, but extremely bothersome for the casual player.
But make hunger/thirst something isn't a vital part of your survival but will make your Astroneer behave? I actually love that and it would be a quite cool, yet not frustrating feature even for the casual player. I can see making your Astroneer sit-down and rest for a few seconds every now and then if he's not well fed being something that makes your character feel more alive without turning it into a tiresome chore that the game forces onto you. While this random event may get you killed if it triggers at the wrong time in the wrong places, it won't kill you for certain.
On the other hand one could say "if it's not a vital part, then why bother integrating it at all"? Well, valid point, but we all want to see the game getting filled with new things, right? :P

10 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

*snip

On the other hand one could say "if it's not a vital part, then why bother integrating it at all"? Well, valid point, but we all want to see the game getting filled with new things, right? :P

Yes, but I would prefer to see it filled with things, which leads to action / interaction and advancement within the world. Not with things, who artificially slowing me down. There is such a great potential to establish a farming / reaction system between all the planets (while you can only find certain ressources) to release further technologies or enhance the players abilities or work for a bigger goal (like an own golden station or something like that). But at the moment I am afraid, that SE is wasting time to implement a hunger system, what we have seen in 100 other games already.

Astroneer is described as a game to work to get rich. Not to work to survive. Quote from the homepage:

On this adventure, a player’s most useful tool is their ability to shape their world, altering the terrain and extracting valuable resources from planets, and moons. Resources can be traded or crafted into new tools, vehicles, and modules to create everything from massive industrial bases to mobile rover bases.

Where is the part about: The player must farm and eat and drink and all this stuff? It's about ressources, getting rich and better. As mentioned several times we already have oxygen and energy as limited ressource, which can lead to death and as timesinks. What is the benefit of adding hunger? Just to implement a farming mechanic? Farming mechanic doesn't need hunger as a justification. You can exchange hunger more reasonable and in compliance what is written on the homepage with e.g.:

- better technologies (only available from the farming mechanics)

- repairing modules (who got demaged by storm / environment),

- fuel (who is not just generated out of pure energy, but a renewable ressource, which has to be taken care of)

- producing high-value products, which at the end are transferred via trading platform into "stellar credits", which then can be used to buy prestigious things (golden space station part by part) or summarized and uploaded to an international chart to compare the own wealth with people all over the world (remember end goal is to become rich!)

- etc.

Just a view simple ideas. I am sure if SE brainstorms heavily on this they will come up with much better ideas.

But hunger ... uncreative, cheap, boring and not leading to anything further and the same "idea" like many other game developers had and it was never a gamebreaking mechanic. 

Not sure how you can feed yourself in the space suit.

But having more options for the oxygen is a good idea. Like:

• Huge biodome. Oxygen, protection for the base from the storms and even growing earth plants inside. Possibly, different sizes, so you can have small dome at the moon and giant base on the home planet.
  • Terraforming entire planets. Should eat much resources (especially oxygen itself, but you need tons and tons of it, so maybe adding some minable version of it, like ice, or just frozen oxygen, Home planet could have really small amonut, but some moons could have tons, so it makes more sense to travel there), but at the end you'll have breathable atmosphere.
  • Making oxygen a gas, so you need a tank you collect it and storage. So yes, tanks for it on the base. (Same thing for the energy, it doesn't make sense to collect energy and oxygen like it's some kinds of rocks)
  • Limited oxygen for the vehicles. Huge internal storage, but not infinite, like now. And this would make…
  • …oxygen viable, right now you don't need it at all, maybe only for collecting at the base like some garbage.

And yes, you can make it as «hardcore mode», for more casual experience, you can make it unlimited for vehicles.

Oh, and make oxygen for the base limited too, but let it generate by itself very slowly, maybe twice faster than energy generated by  it's own at your backpack. But if you have storage and it have oxygen inside, backpack would be filled in a second. This would make collecting oxygen vialble and needed.

3 hours ago, nordish said:

So you support sleeping 1/3 of the time and doing maybe a small click-fest to sleep as deep as possible as well? Because otherwise you are tired and are less efficient?

I support sleeping 3/3 of the time. IMO game should be about cryogenic sleep with a story background that Astroneer went to sleep because he tried to avoid reading posts full of nonsense ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

39 minutes ago, DragonAstroneer said:

I support sleeping 3/3 of the time. IMO game should be about cryogenic sleep with a story background that Astroneer went to sleep because he tried to avoid reading posts full of nonsense ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

hahah.

Getting food into your astroneer, isn't an issue.  That's been covered.

The main concern confronted here, atm, is why.. and it's a chore.. but is it really? Does it need to be? To me, it's such a tiny little insignificant thing, that adds to the immersion of the game, but probably wouldn't really strain even the most casual player.   And it's in hundreds of other games.. why is that? Because it is immersive perhaps?

You could be playing a robot.. but even a robot needs to consume items to remain in a functional state.   Wouldn't need oxygen.. Advantages/Disadvantages..

Build Module Food Synthesizer, push button.  Take Food Capsule, connect it into new food connector on side of suit.  Bonus you now move 10% faster. You can jump 5% higher.

Don't eat.. no bonus.  No starve function, no death.

Or

A small green bar added next to oxy/power bars.  Degrades slowly over time.  At 50% you get a little chicken nugget icon indicating hunger.  30mins later, you're back at your base to unload ores, click a button, top up food. Smelt ore..

That really ruins your day? And for everyone who wants immersion, they get to feed their little guy, give him a drink, when he needs to poop, he can sit in his habitat.. it looks like a toilet to me anyway.  Saves Game...

Throw in some comical humour.. that's ruining your game.. no, it's making it better, you're just objecting for the sake of it.  And insulting anyone who disagrees with you.  No names mentioned.

Read my previous posts please. I will not repeat my view again and again and again for you, while you are constantly ignore it, which leads to your incorrect allegations with regard to my person.

And I am not insulting anyone who disagrees. I just can't understand why nobody is answering the questions I raise (what does hunger has to do with Astroneer and the description for example or why is hunger the only possible and for you logical thing to justify farming mechanics or why hunger is increasing immersion, but sleeping, pooping, etc. is never commented?), but instead fabricating assumptions, etc..

One last question: Adding 10% Speed and 5% Jump height is increasing immersion for you? I can understand that hunger is incresing immersion theoretically. But those bonusses are even more unrealistic than eathing through helmet, aren't they?

I know you will reply with yes, because you just can't accept changing your opinion or accepting others, who do not match with yours.

PS: I'm out of this discussion now until we can try to discuss and not just insult.

PS: Sleeping and pooping is not exaggerated by the way. In Ark SE you can use poop as fertilizer for example. If hunger is added to increase bonusses for speed and jump strength, why not adding sleeping as well? It will have the same effect and it increases immersion! Please answer this!

18 minutes ago, nordish said:

Read my previous posts please. I will not repeat my view again and again and again for you.

Your allegations to me are incorrect!

And I am not insulting anyone who disagrees. I just can't understand why nobody is answering the questions I raise (what does hunger has to do with Astroneer and the description for example or why is hunger the only possible and for you logical thing to justify farming mechanics or why hunger is increasing immersion, but sleeping, pooping, etc. is never commented?), but instead fabricating assumptions, etc..

One last question: Adding 10% Speed and 5% Jump height is increasing immersion for you? I can understand that hunger is incresing immersion theoretically. But those bonusses are even more unrealistic than eathing through helmet, aren't they?

You accuse me of not reading your posts, when clearly you don't read mine.

what does hunger has to do with Astroneer and the description for example - For me, it's about immersion into the game, caring for your character, I would also like to see a limited sort of sleep/rest and pooping.  The whole shebang.  But at the moment we're focused almost solely on hunger/food/eating.  Because.. well why not, I like having more to do, not less or nothing.

or why is hunger the only possible and for you logical thing to justify farming mechanics - It isn't, I understand your objections, but to me, hunger doesn't necessarily mean just hunger, just food related.  Hunger to me suggests any mechanic that involves any level of consumption.   Farming, is to either produce a food or to produce a product using in industry.  Farming sometimes if done well, supplies several industry types from a single source.  ie Wheat, Flour, Straw.  Barley, Beer, Whiskey, Straw. Cows, Meat, Milk, Hides, Bone, Horns, Machined meat for Pet Foods and so on.

or why hunger is increasing immersion, but sleeping, pooping, etc. is never commented?), I've commented on sleep/rest in various posts.

but instead fabricating assumptions, etc.. Your replies to me, Dragonastroneer & others.  No fabrication there.  Want me to quote you?

One last question: Adding 10% Speed and 5% Jump height is increasing immersion for you? I can understand that hunger is incresing immersion theoretically. But those bonusses are even more unrealistic than eathing through helmet, aren't they?   Yes and No.. It's not really, for me.. per se, I'm just trying to accommodate people who demand a positive for every negative.  Personally, I'd be happy just having to feed my astroneer, rest him for a period of time and send him to the toilet every so often, but I'm willing to sacrifice my immersion, if it makes other players happy.  I've also stated how intravenous methods already in use in spacesuits irl bypass the need to "eat through a helmet"  So that latter part is a non argument.

12 minutes ago, nordish said:

PS: Sleeping and pooping is not exaggerated by the way. In Ark SE you can use poop as fertilizer for example. If hunger is added to increase bonusses for speed and jump strength, why not adding sleeping as well? It will have the same effect and it increases immersion! Please answer this!

I already have in earlier posts address Sleep.  Pooping like in Ark.. could be added but does immersion need to go that far?   Dozen posts back you refused to even accept the idea of Eating and Drinking.. Now you want Sleeping and Sh.. Pooping.

NO! Where did I mention, that I want that implemented. Where the hell did you read that? This is what I mean. You don't try to discuss. You insult and assume most of the time.

Does immersion need to go that far, that hunger is necessary, but sleeping and pooping not? Where is the difference? Again we have already oxygen and energy. Why is hunger so necessary, while sleeping and pooping isn't?

19 minutes ago, Martin said:

You accuse me of not reading your posts, when clearly you don't read mine.

1) what does hunger has to do with Astroneer and the description for example - For me, it's about immersion into the game, caring for your character, I would also like to see a limited sort of sleep/rest and pooping.  The whole shebang.  But at the moment we're focused almost solely on hunger/food/eating.  Because.. well why not, I like having more to do, not less or nothing.

2) or why is hunger the only possible and for you logical thing to justify farming mechanics - It isn't, I understand your objections, but to me, hunger doesn't necessarily mean just hunger, just food related.  Hunger to me suggests any mechanic that involves any level of consumption.   Farming, is to either produce a food or to produce a product using in industry.  Farming sometimes if done well, supplies several industry types from a single source.  ie Wheat, Flour, Straw.  Barley, Beer, Whiskey, Straw. Cows, Meat, Milk, Hides, Bone, Horns, Machined meat for Pet Foods and so on.

3) or why hunger is increasing immersion, but sleeping, pooping, etc. is never commented?), I've commented on sleep/rest in various posts.

4) but instead fabricating assumptions, etc.. Your replies to me, Dragonastroneer & others.  No fabrication there.  Want me to quote you?

5) One last question: Adding 10% Speed and 5% Jump height is increasing immersion for you? I can understand that hunger is incresing immersion theoretically. But those bonusses are even more unrealistic than eathing through helmet, aren't they?   Yes and No.. It's not really, for me.. per se, I'm just trying to accommodate people who demand a positive for every negative.  Personally, I'd be happy just having to feed my astroneer, rest him for a period of time and send him to the toilet every so often, but I'm willing to sacrifice my immersion, if it makes other players happy.  I've also stated how intravenous methods already in use in spacesuits irl bypass the need to "eat through a helmet"  So that latter part is a non argument.

1) You are not answering the question. You are just repeating your own position.

2+3) OK.

4) No. This was no question. It was a statement.

5) It's for me the reply I was expecting. Leave the other opinions to other people. No need, that you have to assume, what they might want. Everybody can speak for his own. You don't need to sacrifice your immersion. This is just another excuse for you behaviour and that you are unwilling to change your opinion. 

1 hour ago, DragonAstroneer said:

Comedic relief?

Archived