I can see why hunger would make sense and fit to a game like this, but wouldn't this make the a game a complete chore as this point? why would forcefully mining or crafting food feel like anything but a chore, the great thing  about Astroneer right now is at any given moment I can give myself a task and set out to do it. Rather then the game telling me to go do it. Just my thought.

I'm betting you don't consider breathing a chore, but in the absence of a planet with breathable air it definitely is a chore to produce and maintain--not currently, but likely.

Eating and breathing are necessary factors of life and space exploration. I could see if you were complaining about having to stop and pee/poop all the time, that would be a pain. But eating once in awhile, that's no biggie in the scheme of things. Especially if nutrition were delivered via tethers like oxygen, it doesn't have to be a doom and gloom binary consideration.

Edited by travin

Oxygen doesn't feel like a chore since its the only thing to keep track of in survival for the most part. If we started Stacking, Oxygen, Hunger, Thirst, Pee, Poop, Loneliness. Then it'd be a chore.

The question isn't so much wether it's a chore or not, the question is if it adds to the gameplay. I haven't seen a hunger mechanic in a game where I felt that it added to the gameplay. That's probably why a lot of games that have a hunger mechanic feel the need to add different buffs to the food, to justify the added tedium or make it the prominent way to heal yourself. Both buffing and healing can be done in better ways, that don't add the neccessity to regularly eat, though.

Not everything needs to be emulated in a game, otherwise we have to add the needs for peeing and pooping, health, hygene, mental health, need for social interaction etc pp, which gives the game a completly different direction.

On the other hand having farming and the option to eat for beneficial effects, without the requirement to eat every so often to stay alive, that would be something that I would agree to. I love Farming. ^^

*RAISES PITCHFORK* 

NO TO HUNGER!

HUNGER STRIKE!

DOWN WITH HUNGER!

Wait, what was the topic about? Didn't this already get discussed in another thread?

Dont forget sleep... 

Let's replicate hunger posts now. Man, this is going to be a long haul to 1.0 at this rate...

Edited by ent|ty

If I was the dev, I'd put hunger in just because a few are so dead set against any implementation of it. :D

16 minutes ago, Martin said:

No to Sleep... Wonder how long that rant would last..

Oh man, sleep is such a boring chore. No way, man. No game ever with sleep is fun.

(except the devs love rimworld, where sleeping, food, healthcare, etc. are factors. but yeah, totally boring)

1 hour ago, JohnSmith666 said:

NO to forced hunger, yes if it can be an option during worldgen.

Would perhaps be a better way, to have it as a tick option during game creation, instead of all these different modes, just a tick box in options.

13 hours ago, ent|ty said:

Let's replicate hunger posts now. Man, this is going to be a long haul to 1.0 at this rate...

LOL. I was thinkin the same thing. Its why I've been grossly absent from the 'suggestions' forum, because I would rather wait till its "Alpha" before weighing in on suggestions. I would rather see the fun stuff the devs already have planned!

13 hours ago, Martin said:

No to Sleep... Wonder how long that rant would last..

Prolly as long as one could stay awake...

Wish that were true irl. 

I'm hungry.. set to 1.

Actually.. it occurs to me, that your astroneer isn't actually alive.. so he doesn't actually need oxygen..

So No to Oxygen.. No to Hunger.. No to Sleep..

There.. Sorted.

Edited by Martin

17 hours ago, Wyvyrias said:

Yes to hunger and separate game modes (just like Subnautica has them)! ;)

no. This will make people feel like they aren't playing the game right the way if is easiest (without hunger) so they will be inclined to play the game with hunger and then look at what we have here you solved nothing. NEXT!

1 hour ago, FoxTrot said:

no. This will make people feel like they aren't playing the game right the way if is easiest (without hunger) so they will be inclined to play the game with hunger and then look at what we have here you solved nothing. NEXT!

Dont speak for everyone like you know how they play.

On 1/8/2017 at 5:18 PM, MoonManKelvin said:

I can see why hunger would make sense and fit to a game like this, but wouldn't this make the a game a complete chore as this point? why would forcefully mining or crafting food feel like anything but a chore, the great thing  about Astroneer right now is at any given moment I can give myself a task and set out to do it. Rather then the game telling me to go do it. Just my thought.

I agree with you Kelvin.

Perhaps this could be solved with a seperate "extreme survival" game mode. Thus leaving the choice down to the player. 

I apologise if anyone has mentioned such a thing. 

The thing with adding hunger with the game is risky, it could work or not. The game itself is designed around "Get this, mine this, make this so you can take that so its easier to go there". In other words, a more "Gather to play more comfortably" An example is mining compound to craft teathers so you can travel longer distances away from your habitat without worrying about oxygen.

If a hunger mechanic is added, the game would take a turn, from "collect resources to have a bigger, cooler base and explore more planets and caves with less complications" to "you dont farm space carrots, you die, maggot".

Conclusion: If the game jumps from an Exploration - Crafting kind of genre to Survival - Exploration - Crafting genre it can turn out to be rather:

- Awesome

OR

- it can end up defeating the purpose of the original idea and kinda turn into minecraft with Sci-Fi technology and planet exploration.

Thank you for sharing your idea, I never thought of having a hunger mechanic in the game