Perfect starting base

Kafetist

Sure, it's missing a fuel condenser, but more importantly I have gathered all 7 stacks of tethers from the mines and from other routes, not missing single piece. Perfect little starting place.

Anyone know how to save a savegame, so I can reload it for later use? Since building bigger bases slows the game down I figured a starting base could be pretty neat thing for testing purposes.

20170109024821_1.jpg

1 hour ago, travin said:

Look in

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\SaveGames

Helpful! Thanks!

1 hour ago, r3wired said:

That base is lookin good thoughB|  I like the step up on the platforms.

Thank you, this is the first base I really put some thought into it at every step of the process :)

1 minute ago, Papa Smurf said:

I thought I was the only one who built up a couple notches for the wind turbine.... Nice

I noticed sometimes only the highest is spinning but also sometimes only the lowest.

1 hour ago, Kafetist said:

...but more importantly I have gathered all 7 stacks of tethers from the mines and from other routes, not missing single piece.

"7 stacks of tethers", did you mean to say you've gathered all the research pods which give the blueprints for all the crafting tables?

1 hour ago, travin said:

Look in

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\SaveGames

For us PC users who don't have Steam:

C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Packages\SystemEraSoftworks\SystemAppData\wgs\

So open the wgs\ folder and you will see two more folders, one has a long alpha-numeric name, open that one.

Next you will see a containers.index file & another folder.  Again open that folder with the long alpha-numeric name.

Finally, depending on how many game saves you have, you will see only files (no folders)... these are the actual game save files.  The files will have names like container.%number% & again a long alpha-numeric name.  Save all files with date-time stamps that match the in-game saves (the "ghost capsules" on the space station). 

Edited by Pi_
edit

1 minute ago, Pi_ said:

"7 stacks of tethers", did you mean to say you've gathered all the research pods which give the blueprints for all the crafting tables?

Nope, I'm fairly sure theres still something left to research. I meant the tethers for getting all the resources to build the base, even from underground. That means there's minimal amount of garbage anywhere.

I'm on steam but thank you for covering non-steam too!

Nice base but not perfect.  Your smelter is only receiving power from the Solar panels on your hab.

Here is my favorite base.

(pic1)  Located on Tundra, this base is carved into a mountain to protect from the elements.  The only visible elements are the power supplies and spacecraft.

(pic2) A passageway leads from the spaceship to the base.

(pic3) reverse of pic 2.  Passageway on screen right.  Hole in ceiling for Trade Station.  Pretty cool watching it come and go.

(pic4) shows more modules spiraling down to a lower level and the garage.  Base has a reasonable small footprint.

(pic5) reverse of garage with exit on screen right.

Save game file attached if interested.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

AUTOSAVE_0_2017.01.08-19.11.32.sav

8 minutes ago, LowJacK604 said:

Nice base but not perfect.  Your smelter is only receiving power from the Solar panels on your hab.

Here is my favorite base.

(pic1)  Located on Tundra, this base is carved into a mountain to protect from the elements.  The only visible elements are the power supplies and spacecraft.

(pic2) A passageway leads from the spaceship to the base.

(pic3) reverse of pic 2.  Passageway on screen right.  Hole in ceiling for Trade Station.  Pretty cool watching it come and go.

(pic4) shows more modules spiraling down to a lower level and the garage.  Base has a reasonable small footprint.

(pic5) reverse of garage with exit on screen right.

I completely agree that perfect bases are built into mountain sides.   FYI on the hole for the trade station.  It is more realistic, but unnecessary.  You can set up trade stations deep underground with tons of soil above them and they work just fine. :)

One tip for mountain bases, if you can punch through all 4 sides (smaller mountains preferred), and put a little bit of wind and solar on all sides, you can get the most of your power grid.

1 minute ago, Flashman said:

I completely agree that perfect bases are built into mountain sides.   FYI on the hole for the trade station.  It is more realistic, but unnecessary.  You can set up trade stations deep underground with tons of soil above them and they work just fine. :)

One tip for mountain bases, if you can punch through all 4 sides (smaller mountains preferred), and put a little bit of wind and solar on all sides, you can get the most of your power grid.

I had wondered about the wind in the game.  Curious to know if it can be channeled?  I have doubts though considering the debate on water being added.  Collision physics for wind would be similar IMO.

Yes the hole for the trade platform is aesthetic. Didn't like it passing through the rock roof. 

1 hour ago, LowJacK604 said:

I had wondered about the wind in the game.  Curious to know if it can be channeled?  I have doubts though considering the debate on water being added.  Collision physics for wind would be similar IMO.

Yes the hole for the trade platform is aesthetic. Didn't like it passing through the rock roof. 

Interesting idea about channeling the wind.  It would be nice to build tunnels to catch it and put the turbines in a center room.   I doubt it though, at least at this point.

5 hours ago, LowJacK604 said:

Your smelter is only receiving power from the Solar panels on your hab.

How come? Habitat stops the flow of power? I imagined the network as a free network, are there more rules that I should follow? I've had some issues before of not getting power at all.

53 minutes ago, Kafetist said:

How come? Habitat stops the flow of power? I imagined the network as a free network, are there more rules that I should follow? I've had some issues before of not getting power at all.

That is a good question.

I have a fuel dispenser that doesn't seem to want to pick up power from the rest of the grid. I have to constantly put a battery back on it, then the battery doesn't charge while sitting on it, but will power up on the platform node right behind the dispenser, and not push to the dispenser. If that makes any sense.

11 minutes ago, r3wired said:

That is a good question.

I have a fuel dispenser that doesn't seem to want to pick up power from the rest of the grid. I have to constantly put a battery back on it, then the battery doesn't charge while sitting on it, but will power up on the platform node right behind the dispenser, and not push to the dispenser. If that makes any sense.

Yeah it does. I have a post in bug section about my vehicle bay not getting power even when the generator is set to right next to it. I just thought that if the habitat held further special meaning to the flow of the power.

Just now, Kafetist said:

Yeah it does. I have a post in bug section about my vehicle bay not getting power even when the generator is set to right next to it. I just thought that if the habitat held further special meaning to the flow of the power.

Good to know, I don't tend to stroll through the bug section, all those bugs show up in comments in general discussion :/

But its still good to know, thanks.

7 hours ago, Kafetist said:

I thought the same thing and made the same mistake as you did on my first base.  Power doesn't flow past the Hab.  Maybe this will be fixed in the future but that's the way it currently works.

Your base is missing the Fuel Condenser.  If you attach it to your Hab you'll have the same issue as I do.  

5 minutes ago, LowJacK604 said:

Your base is missing the Fuel Condenser.  If you attach it to your Hab you'll have the same issue as I do.  

I mentioned the lack of fuel condenser in the first post and there's a reason (that I did not think of when building vehicle bay), I don't want any excess processing to be done because the save is meant for sliding down slopes. Apparently though my computer is too slow, in high speeds the game loads something and freezes for enough time for me to hit something and die. That's the reason I don't have any tethers laid down on that save either. For anything else the base is small enough for the game to run completely fine, but not for steep slopes.

Anyway, I'm gonna build a new perfect starting base according to all the great advice I've been getting here. Maybe on a planet that has a bit less to load so I get better slopes ;D

How do you create the connections between buildings? After building four or five new buildings that are attached to the pod, can't seem to work out how to create any more. The ports at the base of buildings aren't doing anything when clicking on them so is it that they are lacking power or something to build more? 

28 minutes ago, Poseidon567 said:

How do you create the connections between buildings? After building four or five new buildings that are attached to the pod, can't seem to work out how to create any more. The ports at the base of buildings aren't doing anything when clicking on them so is it that they are lacking power or something to build more? 

When you're being offered the chance to use 2 resin to make the platform buildable, you can instead extend it further, as many times as you wish. Only the building platforms themselves cannot be extended further. That is the method you make your base take the form you wish.

3 minutes ago, Kafetist said:

When you're being offered the chance to use 2 resin to make the platform buildable, you can instead extend it further, as many times as you wish. Only the building platforms themselves cannot be extended further. That is the method you make your base take the form you wish.

Ah, right, that was my mistake, didn't realise the building platforms couldn't be extended further. Thanks

2 minutes ago, Poseidon567 said:

Ah, right, that was my mistake, didn't realise the building platforms couldn't be extended further. Thanks

Live and learn, buddy.