Greetings!

In game play, solar panels, be them small, large or satellite sized, automatically produce power when the sun is above the horizon. However, unless someone has done some calculations proving otherwise, it's a strictly on/off affair. Problem is solar energy is not realistically gathered in this manner but it's fairly simple to introduce these factors to this environment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating 100% realism of this game. For example, planets currently don't experience Summers or Winters. Though as a moderate measure of realism, solar panel efficiency should be dependent upon the angle and intensity of the sun, as it is calculated using real solar panels. And it should depend upon the weather. Currently, none of these factors appear to inhibit the production of solar power.

• During a sandstorm, really? Solar panels continue to work at 100%?
  • Polar locations, although sunlight can be continuous they receive far less exposure and intensity, yet receives the same game advantages as players on the Equator?

Let's please balance this out a bit providing not only more realism but varied gameplay and strategies. This can be implemented in flavors, where more advanced gameplay has more pronounced  and nuanced effects on solar panel efficiency and beginner gameplay could be simple 3-4 level effect (e.g. morning, noon, afternoon, dark)

What do y'all think? And thanks for paying attention. B|

PD-Orientation-Sunpaths-02_fmt.png

Edited by travin

I like this idea!

This could also offer some tech upgrades. You could research swivels/sensors that would keep the solar panel trained, as efficiently as possible, on the sun.

Considering the sun can be blocked by hills and things, I don't think this idea is out of the question.

3 minutes ago, syterth said:

Considering the sun can be blocked by hills and things, I don't think this idea is out of the question.

Any shadow, including stations and storage, can block solar power.

Some folks will use a storage pod to attach 8 small solar panels too. And if both sides aren't turned toward the sun, one side won't generate power.

Edited by travin