nrek

Custom Astroneer Figure

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:55 AM, Frigidman said:

@nrek Heya! I had a question on your models... was there a specific reason why the models were made 'hollow' inside, instead of a solid object?

Seems the 3d printer is doing a lot of legwork on the insides making 'print supports' (eats up more material, and moves slower), when it normally would do a lighter weight lattice crisscross work to fill the solid voids.

Just curious. Image of a cutaway showing what its trying to do on the inside:

astroneer_backpack_medium.jpg.0a653734773683d14948907c3f895b3f.jpg

Normally the infill is like this based on setting:

unnamed.jpg.dbbfb89193c31f525ebc1a445bf6c58b.jpg

Printing is going well otherwise!

@GeekJoan is correct, the separated model was meant to be printed on an SLA resin printer like the Form 2.  The single full figure model was meant to be printed on an FDM printer.  Glad to see the parts generally still print ok in FDM, and that cutaway is a very cool way to show it!  I can see if the non hollowed out versions are in the same final state as the hollow ones and see about posting them.  Otherwise the mesh mixer route would be the best way to go.

Great to see everyone making so much progress on their own versions of this!

8 hours ago, nrek said:

The single full figure model was meant to be printed on an FDM printer. 

Wait.... did I miss that model??? Doh :D 

Hi,
I've extract the obj/stl model of the habitat-module from the game...
I've try to print it but it required some adjustment...
Inside the module there is the seat and many instrument that need to be removed...

If you want i can send you the stl files so you can fix it for FFF printer...

Just curious, how did you print the head? I have an FDM printer, and I understand that things might be a bit different, but I can't seem to get the back of the helmet to print smoothly.

On 8/13/2017 at 7:58 AM, lucasss said:

Hi,
I've extract the obj/stl model of the habitat-module from the game...
I've try to print it but it required some adjustment...
Inside the module there is the seat and many instrument that need to be removed...

If you want i can send you the stl files so you can fix it for FFF printer...

That would be cool, post it on the thread :)

On 19/10/2017 at 1:09 PM, AJ Cizek said:

That would be cool, post it on the thread :)

I will not post the stl files on the forum until mods give me the permission :)
By the way, there's some tool online, like umodel export, that can help you to export the object from the game...

On 22.10.2017 at 9:49 PM, lucasss said:

I will not post the stl files on the forum until mods give me the permission :)
By the way, there's some tool online, like umodel export, that can help you to export the object from the game...

I suggest to PM Joe about that. As long as the file is legit, I have no issue with it, but I don't know about SES' position about having their original game models being pushed online. Considering everyone could extract it, it's unlikely to be an issue, though.

My father was a Pewtersmith in his younger years and he hand carved all sorts of figurines to use in the pieces he made.  He would hand carve the shape out of wood and then use the wood carving to create an impression in an epoxy mixture.  This would create two halves of a mold which he could then clamp together and pour molten Pewter into.  When it cooled the mold simply popped apart and the figuring popped out.  There was a fair amount of cleaning up and polishing but the finished product was pretty cool .  I have seen people make epoxy figurines using a similar technique...sort of the old school predecessor to 3D printing. 

I usaly print stuff on the side that you dont see when it stands in the shelf. But if you look at the visor on the astroneer it comes to a circular point so this one was printed at a slight angle.

Great work GeekJoan and Virtualsweden! Glad to see more people are having fun making their own Astroneers. 

On 12/18/2018 at 8:56 PM, Virtualsweden said:

Finally done, printed in PLA, so not as smooth as Spencers resin model. But really fun to build/paint.

astroneer.jpg

That looks really great.

Imagine putting the "worklamp" in that backpack ..... LED with batteries inside the backpack. A short length of opaque tube covering the bulb should work a treat!

Your little desktop Astroneer, lighting up the dark 🙂

And a waving arm like one of those lucky chinese cat figures...lol!

Nice work, keep posting pics for us to see.

On 12/18/2018 at 7:56 PM, Virtualsweden said:

Finally done, printed in PLA, so not as smooth as Spencers resin model. But really fun to build/paint.

astroneer.jpg

THIS.....is officially cool.

that is all. carry on.

On 1/8/2017 at 3:18 PM, nrek said:

So after becoming hopelessly addicted to Astroneer over the holidays I ended up starting this project.  Clicking material nodes onto my backpack for hours on end got me thinking about how cool it would be to make a real world magnetic version of the ingame  interface.  That idea then snowballed into what I have now which is a full 8" figure with magnetic backpack and various components. I started off modeling the character to be very close to the ingame character, but after I got more excited about printing and painting this figure I started to alter the design slightly to feel more stylized and optimized for printing.  Below are some of the construction shots leading up to the figures current state.  I should have more updates later in the week.

To start it off I have a fun render of the completed sculpt along with some ortho shots.

Astroneer_Model_Render_STL.jpg

Astroneer_Orthos.jpg

Next is the clean up of the 3D print support structure.  The figure was printed in white resin on a Form 2 over at Foundry IO in Seattle.

Astroneer_progress_1.jpg

Once the print was cleaned up I was able to test fit some of the magnets and assemble the full character.

Astroneer_progress_2.jpg

Astroneer_progress_3.jpg

After confirming the figure was balanced I moved onto spraying it with primer, sanding any remaining rough spots again and then repeating the process. And that's where I am at currently.

Astroneer_progress_4.jpgAstroneer_progress_5.jpg

Astroneer_progress_6.jpg

Nice! Do you have an STL or OBJ file? I am thinking of printing this too.

3 hours ago, Talon Bennett said:

Nice! Do you have an STL or OBJ file? I am thinking of printing this too.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-astroneer-figure-27428