nrek

Custom Astroneer Figure

Very nice work Nrek, highly appreciated that you share the files and building instructions. I have a Duplicator 4S so I will give it a try, will post it in this thread. Lack of time is the only concern.

6 hours ago, nrek said:

@GeekJoan Awesome! So glad to see others making little Astroneers : )

Surely I will do it too. My friend with 3D printer still on vacation, once he'll return we will try to print some little guys ))
Pity that I am sucks at painting small details and parts, I am afraid if I will try to paint it I will spoil everything with my clumsy hands. Looks like Iam gonna find someone who will paint it for me, will have to pay I guess ))
And other things - still trying to figure out where to find those magnets you used for your project. It's not like we have them in every hardware store here.

But I am staying optimist here ))

Edited by MAcroS.40k

14 minutes ago, GeekJoan said:

Nooooo... Was printing the backpack over night... 11 hours of fail...

fail1.jpg

Doncha just hate waking up to that in the morning...

Its also annoying when you cannot just stuff all that into a device to remake your filament line to reuse again :(

Edited by Frigidman

2 hours ago, GeekJoan said:

Nooooo... Was printing the backpack over night... 11 hours of fail...

BTW, why things like this happening?
I don't have my own printer. but I thought that process quite straightforward - you tell him what to do and he doing this.
Why the dismemberment? ))

I think its new version of "paper stuck in printer".. that and entropy.

Just now, kioga said:

I think its new version of "paper stuck in printer".. that and entropy.

Pretty much this.

Filament stuck on head... starts snagging as its printing, starts moving object, object comes loose from the base, all hell breaks loose.

4 hours ago, MAcroS.40k said:

BTW, why things like this happening?

I have no ide what happend.

Orded the printer last week, got it this week so I could print my own astroneer dude. I only printed a boat as a test, then the body of the astroneer. 

Not going to run the printer unattended until I know all the quirk...

11 hours ago, Frigidman said:

Doncha just hate waking up to that in the morning...

Its also annoying when you cannot just stuff all that into a device to remake your filament line to reuse again :(

You actually can do that to some extent. You have to break it down into small pieces so it will go into the filastruder most people I know who are doing it use a modified shredder or a blender/food processor. There is a limit to the number of times you can reuse the plastic though so it's recommended you mix your recycled plastic with new plastic pellets.

https://www.filastruder.com/

21 minutes ago, miertam said:

You actually can do that to some extent. You have to break it down into small pieces so it will go into the filastruder most people I know who are doing it use a modified shredder or a blender/food processor. There is a limit to the number of times you can reuse the plastic though so it's recommended you mix your recycled plastic with new plastic pellets.

https://www.filastruder.com/

Hmm. I'll look into that, thanks.

Finaly got the backpack printed. Think I have all parts now. Try and prime them all to morrow so I can start painting.

backpack.jpg

@nrek Heya! I had a question on your models... was there a specific reason why the models were made 'hollow' inside, instead of a solid object?

Seems the 3d printer is doing a lot of legwork on the insides making 'print supports' (eats up more material, and moves slower), when it normally would do a lighter weight lattice crisscross work to fill the solid voids.

Just curious. Image of a cutaway showing what its trying to do on the inside:

astroneer_backpack_medium.jpg.0a653734773683d14948907c3f895b3f.jpg

Normally the infill is like this based on setting:

unnamed.jpg.dbbfb89193c31f525ebc1a445bf6c58b.jpg

Printing is going well otherwise!

Think it is because he is using a Form 2 printer that use a liquid instead of a filament. He dont want the liquid to be trapped inside. There is two small holes that connect to the cavity inside.

You can use Meshmixer to remove the hollow part.

3 hours ago, GeekJoan said:

Think it is because he is using a Form 2 printer that use a liquid instead of a filament. He dont want the liquid to be trapped inside. There is two small holes that connect to the cavity inside.

You can use Meshmixer to remove the hollow part.

Ah, that makes sense. Interesting!

And I honestly have no idea how to use meshmixer, but I passed it forward, maybe we can figure it out.

I had not heard of Meshmixer 2-3 weeks ago. I looked at some YT videos and presto. You now know the basics for removing stuff and fix the holes and get it in to a solid. Try it out, its fun to play around with.