▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
▓▓▓▓▓▓█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░
▓▓▓▓▓▓█████░░░░░░░░░█░░
██████▀░░░░▀▀██████▀░░░░

Jesus , sadly i cant make this thinks myself :(( i want this so badly 

Nice Job man!

On 1/8/2017 at 6:22 PM, Zuthorex said:

take my money.jpg

...... I need two of these!  I need two of these so bad and didn't even know it until I read this post :)

Would love 2 that are the Orange Suit and the Heavy Set one ... those are the two me and my son use when we are recording. 

Awesome work, the detail is amazing! 

ApoNono

Following this thread with hopes to be able to buy one of those excellent models (Orange one!!). Awesome work and incredible detailed.

Edited by kioga

Hey everyone, thanks for the kind words! While I really appreciate all of the enthusiasm I don't plan to sell these. Sorry.  It would be weird to monetize something based on the game and really it is just way too much time and effort.  I mainly wanted to make this figure because I love the game and I wanted to learn some new skills along the way. @kioga if I do make another one for fun it would definitely be the Orange suit, that is my favorite as well.

Anyway I think its time for an update. I jumped in and started detail work on the helmet right away. First thing to do was mask off everything but the visor. I did this with thin detail masking tape and then standard painters tape.

Astroneer_progress_13.jpg

A layer of high gloss black was sprayed first to create a nice smooth and reflective surface for the gold.  The gold was then sprayed over the black, leaving a central hotspot of black gives the illusion of depth when rotating this around.  The gold flakes in the paint were a bit larger than anticipated so the gradient is unfortunately not really as smooth as I would have liked. After a few coats of gloss clear I started painting the trim with a black rubber paint.

Astroneer_progress_14.jpg

Back to masking tape, this time I tried to use saran wrap to save time and tape.  This was a terrible idea I guess since even after the paint had dried for a day the saran wrap still left a strange pattern in the surface. Oh well.

Astroneer_progress_15.jpg

After masking was done I could start painting the back stripe and hose sections.

Astroneer_progress_16.jpg

I slowly removed portions of the masking tape and then painted in the detailed bits as I went along, this saved me from having to re-mask certain parts afterwards.

Astroneer_progress_17.jpg

And here is the result for today.  There are some rough edges to clean up and the buttons on the front still need to be painted but this part is getting super close to being done.

Astroneer_progress_18.jpg

Thanks again for stopping by and I hope you enjoy the update.

This. Is. Impossibly. Perfect.

This is just so detailed and perfect, I would buy one any day, any time.

It's just so amazing!

Keep up the good work! :)

@nrek that black gloss is awesome and the idea of spraying the gold arround the surface really enhance the visual, love it.

I just noticed the pieces are larger than i thought.. whats the actual size of the model?

can you please release the STL's for this?!? my printer is just itching to print something from AStroneer!!!!

11 hours ago, Rixxen said:

can you please release the STL's for this?!? my printer is just itching to print something from AStroneer!!!!

I second this notion ;)

I know it has been awhile since my last update but I am glad to say that the figure is now finished!  There are some rough spots and I managed to break a couple parts during the final assembly, but overall I am pretty happy with how it came out.  Before I jump into the pics I will answer the question many of you have asked.  I will share OBJ files for the figure and parts. I will post a link once the parts go live. However if the devs voice any issues with me sharing the files then I will be taking it down.

So lets move onto the final construction shots.  There are some pretty big gaps in the progress photos but that is mainly because I was repeating a lot of the same steps over and over again.  Similar to how the head was painted I went through and masked off all of the little parts of the body.  I planned this out in layers so that I could mask the entire thing, paint a color, mask off those small painted bits and then do the final color. This process of layering saved me from having to re-mask the entire thing for each color.

Astroneer_Progress_Masking.gif.c338fc51a9e196bb89388c46b3d879aa.gif

The backpack was completed using the same method as mentioned above.  But to save time and to get perfect masks I used a vinyl cutter to make little stickers the exact size of the yellow energy bars as well as rings for around the material sockets.  Once it was painted and clear coated I glued in the magnets.  It was during this stage that I snapped off one of the upper socket arm things : /

Astroneer_progress_20.thumb.jpg.0d36fef6be7e3488864cfe70f61b1813.jpg

Astroneer_progress_21.thumb.jpg.9d4eb78c876fbfca2076034ee2ef7548.jpg

After fixing some bits and doing final touch ups I was ready to call this finished.  Thanks so much for following along with this project everyone!

Astroneer_progress_Final_1.thumb.jpg.e4bb489aa52802e92f63383dd2e203ca.jpgAstroneer_progress_Final_2.thumb.jpg.38d4bb2a354ae23fce79b24c0b0e2ebd.jpg

Astroneer_progress_Final_3.thumb.jpg.1e7b89bc6d6962f8815cfb435067e3e3.jpgAstroneer_progress_Final_4.thumb.jpg.4c508c552ba73e410666aebb6a941295.jpg

Astroneer_SK_Figure.gif.471acc4d2b86cacfaf53d6687bd28d94.gif