nrek

Custom Astroneer Figure

13 hours ago, nrek said:

So after becoming hopelessly addicted to Astroneer over the holidays I ended up starting this project.  Clicking material nodes onto my backpack for hours on end got me thinking about how cool it would be to make a real world magnetic version of the ingame  interface.  That idea then snowballed into what I have now which is a full 8" figure with magnetic backpack and various components. I started off modeling the character to be very close to the ingame character, but after I got more excited about printing and painting this figure I started to alter the design slightly to feel more stylized and optimized for printing.  Below are some of the construction shots leading up to the figures current state.  I should have more updates later in the week.

To start it off I have a fun render of the completed sculpt along with some ortho shots.

Astroneer_Model_Render_STL.jpg

Astroneer_Orthos.jpg

Next is the clean up of the 3D print support structure.  The figure was printed in white resin on a Form 2 over at Foundry IO in Seattle.

Astroneer_progress_1.jpg

Once the print was cleaned up I was able to test fit some of the magnets and assemble the full character.

Astroneer_progress_2.jpg

Astroneer_progress_3.jpg

After confirming the figure was balanced I moved onto spraying it with primer, sanding any remaining rough spots again and then repeating the process. And that's where I am at currently.

Astroneer_progress_4.jpgAstroneer_progress_5.jpg

Astroneer_progress_6.jpg

I need one painted up like a badger, please. PM me if I need details :)

My father's been bugging me to send him model files to print on his 3d printer... its a retirement hobby of his to fool around with expensive toys lol. Now if only I had the time to fiddle around in my cad program (I dont have 3dsmax anymore sadly... gone with my college days a couple decades ago!).

But geezus. Envious I am of this project you got going on!

I have researched both 3D printers and 3DMax(many versions prior) as well as Zbrush (current on both softwares) and this thread sparked something cause im looking to spend a few grand for some fun.

Thank You nrek!

2 hours ago, Frigidman said:

My father's been bugging me to send him model files to print on his 3d printer... its a retirement hobby of his to fool around with expensive toys lol. Now if only I had the time to fiddle around in my cad program (I dont have 3dsmax anymore sadly... gone with my college days a couple decades ago!).

But geezus. Envious I am of this project you got going on!

dont judge!

SRY for the DBLPST

Edited by r3wired

The very thick lower arms kind of make me uncomfortable, honestly. Still a nice little executive toy though.

Edit: slap me sideways, I'm not very bright. that's how the actual model looks in-game, so nevermind. I always used the sort of chubby model so I never noticed that.

Edited by kiefac

37 minutes ago, r3wired said:

I have researched both 3D printers and 3DMax(many versions prior) as well as Zbrush (current on both softwares) and this thread sparked something cause im looking to spend a few grand for some fun.

Thank You nrek!

If you are okay with doing some light soldering and can follow some pretty basic instructional videos then I highly recommend 

http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/3d-printer-kits/12-pegasus-kit.html 

I own their 8" I3v kit it was easy to assemble and has been a workhorse for me.

This is absolutely insane!!! I love it all!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep us updated!!! This is super inspirational!!!

Edited by p1nkbr0

12 hours ago, miertam said:

If you are okay with doing some light soldering and can follow some pretty basic instructional videos then I highly recommend 

http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/3d-printer-kits/12-pegasus-kit.html 

I own their 8" I3v kit it was easy to assemble and has been a workhorse for me.

That is very affordable and seems like a great space to work in opposed to others i have looked into.

23 minutes ago, r3wired said:

That is very affordable and seems like a great space to work in opposed to others i have looked into.

They are also nice people to work with.

One thing I should mention is that the Makerfarm printer is a fused deposition printers and he is using a Stereolithography/Digital Light Printer. The resolution he can get with a Fuse 2 is much higher than what you can do on the Pegasus. That is one of the reasons it's less than 1/3 the price.

I have looked at a ton of printers and this one has such a great working space.

likely snagging one of these, and some other shit, but thanks (inspired smile) :D

Edited by r3wired

16 minutes ago, miertam said:

One thing I should mention is that the Makerfarm printer is a fused deposition printers and he is using a Stereolithography/Digital Light Printer. The resolution he can get with a Fuse 2 is much higher than what you can do on the Pegasus. That is one of the reasons it's less than 1/3 the price.

Oh more digging, ty

Holy... just... just... holy...

Congratulations on the print man!

If you make a surface made of clay, it would be the perfect Astroneer IRL!

Imagine the stopmotion possibilities with those perfect models and clay planets!

Updates! I finally got a chance to setup my airbrush and make some progress on this.  The material nodes are all finished and the white layer has been applied to all of the parts of the main figure. In the process photos below you will see the steps I went through in order to try and achieve the two tone iridescence of the materials, it sort of worked.  I also added a blue shadow layer to the figure before painting over it with white in order to add a little color to the dark sections, this is unfortunately hard to see in the photos. Hope you guys enjoy and thanks for following along  : )

Astroneer_progress_7.jpgAstroneer_progress_8.jpgAstroneer_progress_9.jpgAstroneer_progress_10.jpgAstroneer_progress_11.jpgAstroneer_progress_12.jpg

@nrek this is insane.. so much effort, so good design (i love the magnets) and so much quality in the finish!!!  i would happily pay for that figure or the files to craft it locally (im in South America).

Do you have any plans to make the other characters/models?  my fav is the orange one!