nrek

Custom Astroneer Figure

So after becoming hopelessly addicted to Astroneer over the holidays I ended up starting this project.  Clicking material nodes onto my backpack for hours on end got me thinking about how cool it would be to make a real world magnetic version of the ingame  interface.  That idea then snowballed into what I have now which is a full 8" figure with magnetic backpack and various components. I started off modeling the character to be very close to the ingame character, but after I got more excited about printing and painting this figure I started to alter the design slightly to feel more stylized and optimized for printing.  Below are some of the construction shots leading up to the figures current state.  I should have more updates later in the week.

To start it off I have a fun render of the completed sculpt along with some ortho shots.

Astroneer_Model_Render_STL.jpg

Astroneer_Orthos.jpg

Next is the clean up of the 3D print support structure.  The figure was printed in white resin on a Form 2 over at Foundry IO in Seattle.

Astroneer_progress_1.jpg

Once the print was cleaned up I was able to test fit some of the magnets and assemble the full character.

Astroneer_progress_2.jpg

Astroneer_progress_3.jpg

After confirming the figure was balanced I moved onto spraying it with primer, sanding any remaining rough spots again and then repeating the process. And that's where I am at currently.

Astroneer_progress_4.jpgAstroneer_progress_5.jpg

Astroneer_progress_6.jpg

That's really impressive.

Do you do modelling work as a job? I often require various models (OBJ format) to be constructed and my modelling skills stop at making a cube (and usually not a very good cube).

Great work bud, you can print your ideas and send them to the devs. ?

Edited by HellHasNoFear

That is indeed mighty fine work. So fun to have all those toys at hand when creativity strikes you!

Thanks everyone! It has been super fun to work on and I cant wait to finish it up, then its back to actually playing the game : )

It looks great. This is stuff I've always wanted to do, and you're work is really nice! Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

Amazing. I guess you have access to a 3D printer as well.
I like how you made it modular with magnets to remove the backpack and such.

What is needed to make the models? What material is used, what sort of cash outlay is needed?

Very nice overall, better than working with wood or metal.

21 minutes ago, Payno_attention said:

If you uploaded it to http://www.shapeways.com/ I would definitely buy one! Alternatively...if you want to ship one I will buy one!

Let's buy 6 and send them to the devs! haha

That said:

5 hours ago, Zuthorex said:

take my money.jpg

I have never gotten a print that smooth. Could you list some of the products you used. Sand paper grade and any gloss?

Edited by Ferocious

Thanks everyone! @SES_Adam@SES_Paul glad you guys are digging it.

@Martin@Ferocious Below is an image/list of the finishing tools I have been using on the figure in addition to the software: 3ds Max + ZBrush. The print itself was done using formlabs standard white resin at a medium resolution of 50microns.  And its that detail from the print that made the biggest difference in getting this thing smooth. Most of the finishing I have done was just removing the nubs left by the support material and light surface polish. I have a comparison image below of  how the different prints and stages look on the compound material. Top left is an FDM print using white HIPS filament, top right is an SLA print using the white resin, bottom right is the SLA print with a single layer of primer applied.  (the FDM print could be better but I didn't bother spending time tweaking setting ssince I knew I would move onto SLA)

• A: Tamiya spot putty
  • B: X-Acto knife
  • C: Flush cutters
  • D: Tamiya fine surface primer
  • E: 2000 + 800 grit wet/dry sand paper (wet sanding is a technique that allows for a smooth shiny finish, not seen on this model)
  • F: Sanding Sticks
  • G: Sanding Needles
  • H: Pointed cotton swab (stiffer than a normal Q-Tip)

While I waited for the paint to dry I messed around with some more rendering on the print mesh and created another random image below.

Astroneer_progress_Tools.jpg

Astroneer_progress_Detail_Comp.jpg

Astroneer_Deep_Space.jpg

3 minutes ago, nrek said:

Thanks everyone! @SES_Adam@SES_Paul glad you guys are digging it.

@Martin@Ferocious Below is an image/list of the finishing tools I have been using on the figure in addition to the software: 3ds Max + ZBrush. The print itself was done using formlabs standard white resin at a medium resolution of 50microns.  And its that detail from the print that made the biggest difference in getting this thing smooth. Most of the finishing I have done was just removing the nubs left by the support material and light surface polish. I have a comparison image below of  how the different prints and stages look on the compound material. Top left is an FDM print using white HIPS filament, top right is an SLA print using the white resin, bottom right is the SLA print with a single layer of primer applied.  (the FDM print could be better but I didn't bother spending time tweaking setting ssince I knew I would move onto SLA)

• A: Tamiya spot putty
  • B: X-Acto knife
  • C: Flush cutters
  • D: Tamiya fine surface primer
  • E: 2000 + 800 grit wet/dry sand paper (wet sanding is a technique that allows for a smooth shiny finish, not seen on this model)
  • F: Sanding Sticks
  • G: Sanding Needles
  • H: Pointed cotton swab (stiffer than a normal Q-Tip)

While I waited for the paint to dry I messed around with some more rendering on the print mesh and created another random image below.

Thank you so much! I have a bunch of prints from shapeways that need a bit of cleaning up. 3d printing is an expensive hobby. Dx

You know you could add a custom nameplate onto them, either at foot level or on top of helmet, change it to the name of the "owner" and the print it.  Would make them all uniquely individual..  Throw in different colour schemes..