Researching new objects gives no results

Possible bug here but I'm not sure, what I do know is its frustrating to keep travelling to different planets to find different things to research so I can fully unlock all the research items and every time I research a new item it does the Russian roulette type thing and shows me the different images of the items I haven't unlocked yet but when it's done no text pops up to tell me what I was awarded and it seems like nothing new to make can be found, also if I research an old item it still gives me a random material, just the ones that could possibly unlock something new are apparently bugged. 

That tends to happen when you have discovered everything at the moment. Sometimes it does happen prematurely. The images that cycle around the researcher are not items you haven't learned yet. They seem to be placeholder images. There are certain items in the game however, you can find that can not be researched or built yet, like the jet and the propellor.

It's disappointing but it only happens a couple of times, until the game remembers that you've researched everything. But considering most of the content of this game isn't yet polished, or even included, we'll have to just wait.