H4ilking

Tether-Based Transportation

So I've seen ways to transport things within this game, such as rovers, shuttles, and trucks. But everything like that seems like a hassle for when you just want to mine and bring some extra up to the surface. I propose a transportation system that travels along tethers. It can carry four (What do you call em... Divits?) Divits of space, but you can add things such as storage and research balls. I'm not sure exactly how it would follow you. Maybe some sort of button that hovers above it that when you press it, it tethers onto you and will follow you.

idk.png

I think this would destroy the purpose of Vehicles, even backpacks kind of. You could just build a tether line and transport everything without ever bothering to make a Rover or Truck in the game. I do like your drawing though!

Heh, @SES_Jacob was shooting the shit on some interesting ideas that is sort of part of the same family your idea comes from. I'll see if I can't get him to tease it a bit.

Ha, I do have some ideas for this, but they don't involve the tethers at the moment. Picture the new idea as being sort of the "upgraded" version of the tether lines, conceptually right in between the clunky, unwieldy resin base hubs and tethers.

The rough idea would be a printable item that would take up an entire backpack slot (unlike the tethers which take up essentially 1/11th of a slot).  And which would allow you to extend out much longer base conduits without it making a giant hub with the 2-slot at each little juncture.  You could make any individual conduit line as long as you'd want, and then connect them to other bases, hubs, and and vehicles at either end.

And then, of course!  Rails.  Potentially these little one slot items (or a separate printable item) could be use to add a little rail cart to any conduit.  The first tier of a rail cart could have a single 1-slot that could carry single resources all the way along the conduit until it hits a hub/building/vehicle and transfers the resource when it gets there. The rail cart could be upgradable into a 2-slot that you could do the usual 2-slot things with, like add a storage rack or other secret things we're planning to add, that would all have nice contextual functionality the player could discover.

SPOILER: The obvious endgame here is the ability to build roller coasters. Slap a seat on your 2-slot rail and hop in.

Holy shit i really like this idea. it can be sorta like a mine cart almost or a fast travel ln tethers to caves.

*trainsyasplz*

1479671551341.gif

I like the idea of having the ability to create more serious infrastructure like a small rail line to transport resources to the surface or over the surface of the planet. I'm getting really tired of trying to juggle one research hairy potato (or whatever you call those things) to the surface at a time. It's not so much the "one at a time-ness" of it all but just the tedium of how the mechanics  of moving those things works. 

PS. Roller coasters? Sign me up for a one way trip to the bottom so I can join those other dead bodies down there. :-)

Edited by delwinf

18 hours ago, SES_Jacob said:

Ha, I do have some ideas for this, but they don't involve the tethers at the moment. Picture the new idea as being sort of the "upgraded" version of the tether lines, conceptually right in between the clunky, unwieldy resin base hubs and tethers.

The rough idea would be a printable item that would take up an entire backpack slot (unlike the tethers which take up essentially 1/11th of a slot).  And which would allow you to extend out much longer base conduits without it making a giant hub with the 2-slot at each little juncture.  You could make any individual conduit line as long as you'd want, and then connect them to other bases, hubs, and and vehicles at either end.

And then, of course!  Rails.  Potentially these little one slot items (or a separate printable item) could be use to add a little rail cart to any conduit.  The first tier of a rail cart could have a single 1-slot that could carry single resources all the way along the conduit until it hits a hub/building/vehicle and transfers the resource when it gets there. The rail cart could be upgradable into a 2-slot that you could do the usual 2-slot things with, like add a storage rack or other secret things we're planning to add, that would all have nice contextual functionality the player could discover.

SPOILER: The obvious endgame here is the ability to build roller coasters. Slap a seat on your 2-slot rail and hop in.

Then I would assume there would be a call feature and back to base.
So when at that tether it would come make its path through the system down to that point it was called at.

I would really like to see how this would go for the future and in multiplayer.

If going with the machine setup I was thinking as a later game this could be an good way to make it go back and forth.
Having collecters up that calls on it when its full to the connected tether.

Also if some of the research objects has multiple steps this could be great too, also the market to sell stuff.