IndieCrypt

[PC] A Guide about Saves

Hello :D The following thread will explain all you need to know about your saved worlds on your computer... You will learn how to: Delete saves, Transfer saves to another computer, Upload saves to the forums, and Download and play saves from the forums... Before we can continue to do any of the above you will first need to locate your %localappdata% directory...

How to find your %localappdata% directory

Spoiler

First you will want to open file explorer and make sure you are viewing hidden files... You can do this by opening the "View" tab located in the top left of the file explorer window... Once open you will notice a multitude of options, all you want to do is make sure the option "Hidden items" is ticked... Now we can continue to locate your %localappdata% directory...

To get to your %localappdata% directory there are two methods the first you will want to open your operating system's drive "C:" and proceed through the following path: "Users\*UserID*\AppData\Local"... The second and easier method is by typing %localappdata% in your directory bar which is located to the left of your search bar in the file explorer window...

Now that you have found your %localappdata% directory you can continue on with the next steps... If you are still having trouble let me know in the comments below ;) 

How to find your saved worlds

Spoiler

First you will need to be in your %localappdata% directory, if you are not already or do not know how to do so read the above step...

In your %localappdata% directory you will be presented with a multitude of folders... The folder you want to find and enter is called "Astro" this is where all saved information from Astroneer will be located... Now you have opened the folder "Astro" you will now want to proceed on the following path: "Saved\SaveGames"... Inside the folder "SaveGames" you will see your world saves, these are mainly named: "AUTOSAVE_*SaveNumberID*_*Date*-*Time*"...

Now that you have found your world saves you can continue on with the next steps... If you do not see a folder called "SaveGames" inside the "Save" folder this means you have not yet saved or created a world...

How to Delete your saved worlds

Spoiler

First you will need to locate your saved worlds, if you do not already know how to do so you will need to read the above step...

Now you have located your saved worlds, to delete a saved world all you have to do is delete all .sav files with the same *SaveNumberID* which is located directly after the word: "AUTOSAVE"...

Example, if you have two .sav files named "AUTOSAVE_0_*Date*-*Time*" you would delete both to delete the world...

How to Upload your saved worlds to the forums

Spoiler

First you will need to locate your saved worlds, if you do not already know how to do so you will need to read the step "How to find your saved worlds"...

Now you have located which save you want to upload all you have to do is make a thread or comment and attach the .sav file by either dragging the file to the bottom left of the editor or click "choose files" and select the world... It is as simple as that!

How to Download and play worlds from the forums

Spoiler

Has someone attached and uploaded their saved world(s) to their thread? First you will need to locate your saved worlds folder, if you do not know how to do so read the step "How to find your saved worlds"...

Now you have located the folder "SaveGames" you will want to proceed to download said .sav file from the forums to your desktop... Now you have downloaded the world you will want to make sure that it does not have the same *SaveNumberID* as any .sav files you may already have otherwise it will not load and render the file pointless until you rename the *SaveNumberID* to one higher than any you already have...

Now that you have made sure it has a unique *SaveNumberID* you can enter Astroneer and begin to load the world!

How to Transfer saves to another computer

Spoiler

To Transfer saves to another computer you will need a USB and know where to find your saved worlds... If you do not have a USB you can upload the world to dropbox or the forums and download it on the new computer or if you do not know how to locate your saved worlds read the step "How to find your saved worlds"...

Now that you have completed those two steps you will want to proceed to copy over the entire "Astro" folder, or, if you have already played Astroneer on the new computer you will only need to copy over the .sav file(s) of your choice... Once you have done this step you will want to go to your new computer and locate the %localappdata% directory and if you have not played Astroneer on said computer yet paste in the entire "Astro" folder, or, if you have already played Astroneer on the new computer you will only need to paste in the .sav file into the folder "SaveGames" making sure each .sav file has a unique *SaveNumberID*...

If anyone has any troubles with any of these steps please let me know and I will help you solve the problem xD Enjoy!

2 hours ago, Glen Bell said:

the only file that are in the saved folder is analytics and config and hidden files is on

I am using the Windows 10 version, not the Steam version. This is all I am finding as well. My path to these files is: "C:\Users\MudAnimal\AppData\Local\Packages\SystemEraSoftworks.29415440E1269_ftk5pbg2rayv2\LocalState\Astro\Saved\". From there I can choose "Analytics" or "Config".

In the Analytics folder, there are files with names like this: "d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e-2017.01.06-12.42.39.analytics"

I deleted some of them with older dates listed in the names, but all of my game saves are still active.

The Config folder contains these .ini files:

Compat, DeviceProfiles, EditorPerProjectUserSettings, Engine, Game, GameplayTags, GameUserSettings, Hardware, Input, Lightmass, and Scalability.

All of those are empty in Notepad except for GameUserSettings, which contains display and control options.

I need help as I am stuck inside a Habitat and cannot get out so I am unable to do anything further on my world. I have followed the excellent instructions to locate the save game files but sadly there are only 2 save game files relating to world in which I am stuck which are both dated after I became stuck. Am I correct in assuming that earlier saves have been overwritten and I will be unable to roll the world back prior to the point of being imprisoned in the Habitat and will therefore need to start a new world?

3 hours ago, Bartoft said:

I need help as I am stuck inside a Habitat and cannot get out so I am unable to do anything further on my world. I have followed the excellent instructions to locate the save game files but sadly there are only 2 save game files relating to world in which I am stuck which are both dated after I became stuck. Am I correct in assuming that earlier saves have been overwritten and I will be unable to roll the world back prior to the point of being imprisoned in the Habitat and will therefore need to start a new world?

Yes sadly you will need to start a new world... :( 

4 hours ago, MudAnimal said:

I am using the Windows 10 version, not the Steam version. This is all I am finding as well. My path to these files is: "C:\Users\MudAnimal\AppData\Local\Packages\SystemEraSoftworks.29415440E1269_ftk5pbg2rayv2\LocalState\Astro\Saved\". From there I can choose "Analytics" or "Config".

In the Analytics folder, there are files with names like this: "d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e-2017.01.06-12.42.39.analytics"

I deleted some of them with older dates listed in the names, but all of my game saves are still active.

The Config folder contains these .ini files:

Compat, DeviceProfiles, EditorPerProjectUserSettings, Engine, Game, GameplayTags, GameUserSettings, Hardware, Input, Lightmass, and Scalability.

All of those are empty in Notepad except for GameUserSettings, which contains display and control options.

Odd... No matter what version they should all be located in that folder? Maybe @Wyvyriascould help answer this question?

7 hours ago, Glen Bell said:

i need help the only file that are in the saved folder is analytics and config and hidden files is on

Same thing as I said to @MudAnimal, they should all be located in that folder unless the Windows 10 version saves them to a different location, in which @Wyvyriasmight know the answer...

Just now, MudAnimal said:

I shall await a response. Thanks!

No problem ;) I am sorry that I could not help with this as I do not own the Windows 10 version and I just assumed they would all be located in the one folder... :D 

For those of us who bought the game from the Windows Store (Non-Steam PC players)... quotes reposted here from a much earlier thread. 

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 5:01 AM, TGS said:

The saves seem to be in C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\SaveGames

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:55 AM, Pi_ said:

I don't have XB1, instead I bought the game from the Windows Store.  However, when I navigate to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local there is not a folder for \Astro... very strange because when I start the game the two saves I have (ghost capsules) are showing on the space station.  So my question is, where are my game save files actually residing?

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 1:24 PM, Vic-tuK said:

C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Packages\SystemEraSoftworks\SystemAppData\wgs\

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:22 PM, Pi_ said:

Thanks Vic-tuK for the tip about the file location for those of us who bought the game from the Windows Store.

C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Packages\SystemEraSoftworks\SystemAppData\wgs\

So open the wgs\ folder and you will see two more folders, one has a long alpha-numeric name, open that one.

Next you will see a containers.index file & another folder.  Again open that folder with the long alpha-numeric name.

Finally, depending on how many game saves you have, you will see only files (no folders)... these are the actual game save files.

The files will have names like container.%number% & again a long alpha-numeric name.  Look for all files with date-time stamps that match the in-game saves (the "ghost capsules" on the space station).  If you delete the files with matching date-time stamps as the in-game saves, the next time you start the game the unwanted "ghost capsule" should be gone.

34 minutes ago, Pi_ said:

If you delete the files with matching date-time stamps as the in-game saves, the next time you start the game the unwanted "ghost capsule" should be gone.

Hey, thanks! I matched the 'Date Modified' column in that folder to the dates seen on the saves at the main menu and it worked perfectly! No more clutter.

If you have the Windows 10 version of Astroneer the save files will be located in "C:\Users\*UserID*\AppData\Local\Packages\SystemEraSoftworks\SystemAppData\wgs\*LongAlphanumericNumber*\*LongAlphanumericNumber*"...

Huge thanks to @Pi_for this information ;) 

If anyone owns the Xbox One version of Astroneer and you know the location of the save files would you be so kind as to fill us in? :D It will be much appreciated! ;) 

Select manage game, go to saved data, select your gamertag and press A, use Delete everywhere to delete the cloudsave aswell so you can start fresh. Repeat 10x for good spawn ?

The following applies only to the PC - Windows Store version (not Steam)...

I ran into a bug when making a Fuel Condenser... I placed the 2 resin on the expansion node which makes a "blank" platform.  But I had to leave before I placed the 2 copper to turn the blank platform into the Fuel Condenser.  So I saved the game and came back later.  After placing the 2 copper, the Fuel Condenser would not take power to recharge.  This got me thinking, "If only I could reload the game from a point before making the blank platform.

Since there is not yet a way to manage save files from within the game itself, I did some experimenting and found a way to create a restore point.  To be clear this does not allow you to create a restore point retroactively, but rather going forward in a game currently in progress, and any new game save you start.

To create the restore point:

1) Make a new folder on your desktop with a descriptive name so you can easily identify it.
2) Navigate to C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Packages\SystemEraSoftworks\SystemAppData\wgs\ 
3) Copy the \wgs folder, which contains sub folders & files needed for the complete restore point. 
4) Paste the \wgs folder inside the folder you made in step #1.  You are done, the restore point has been created.

To load the restore point:

5) Open the folder you made in step #1.
6) Again copy that \wgs folder.
7) Navigate to C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Packages\SystemEraSoftworks\SystemAppData\wgs\
8) Delete the \wgs folder, then paste the \wgs folder you copied in step #6.  Start the game like normal.

You can make multiple folders as in step #1 to create multiple restore points throughout a particular game...  that's why it's important to give each folder in step #1 a descriptive name.

And btw, during my experiments I discovered the Fuel Condenser bug can be avoided.  Do not save the game with a "blank" platform... go ahead and place the 2 copper then save game after the Fuel Condenser is crafted.

How can we delete saved games on XB1? My 1st world was b4 the last update & it's like playing with a strobe effect bc the FPS got really slow the further I progressed in the game. My 2nd world was doing much better but now it's starting to slow down, too. I want to delete the 1st world altogether bc it did not improve with the update. 

5 hours ago, Jason Tyner said:

How can we delete saved games on XB1? My 1st world was b4 the last update & it's like playing with a strobe effect bc the FPS got really slow the further I progressed in the game. My 2nd world was doing much better but now it's starting to slow down, too. I want to delete the 1st world altogether bc it did not improve with the update. 

On 13/01/2017 at 4:29 PM, Rashoumon said:

Select manage game, go to saved data, select your gamertag and press A, use Delete everywhere to delete the cloudsave aswell so you can start fresh. Repeat 10x for good spawn ?

I have been trying to delete some of my saves on Xbox One. I just played the trial a few days ago (what can I say, huge game backlog! but better late than never and as soon as the trial ran out I purchased the game and can't stop playing, great work for a Game Preview much thanks!) so yeah many of the worlds I started are patheticly noob lol. I had already attempted to remove the saved files myself. Actually, when I first bought the Preview, my problem was nothing would save at all. Now, I can't get rid of saves. Feast & famine, all that. I play a lot on Xbox and PS4, even though I'm older (Atari gen) because I have health problems and can't work. So gaming keeps my sanity. I went to Astroneer in My Games & Apps, went to Manage Astroneer, to Saved Data, but it just says "Delete Saved Data" it doesn't give me any option to "Delete Everywhere" like others keep suggesting. If I choose "Delete Saved Data" the next time I play, it just starts syncing to the Cloud. I play many games, and it's not feasible for me to turn this feature off (even if I could manage to locate where this setting is, I've scoured Xbox One settings for it and can't seem to locate it again for the life of me). I'm not sure that, even if I located it, I can set it to Cloud Save and Sync only particular game data and not others, I suspect it's an all-or-nothing deal. I could be wrong, but that's my best guess. I've tried 2-3 times to delete Astroneer saved data, and each time I re-boot the game, it will say "Syncyinc Saved Data" I try to be very quick and hit "Cancel" and then it asks "Keep Syncing" or "Cancel Syncing" and I try to hit "Cancel" but I'm guessing because the game files aren't too huge it just manages to complete before the Xbox realizes I've hit a button on my controller and told it to cancel.

TL;DR I can't delete saves on my Xbox One because:

(1) I'm not given an option to "delete everywhere" just to "delete saved data"

(2) as soon as I load Astroneer it recollects the saved data from syncing with Cloud Data, and I'm unable to stop it in time

So, any advice, suggestions, etc?

Also, I agree we need to be able to name saved files, or add some other distinguishing info for them. Some files I want to keep, others I don't. At this point I have no idea which ones are which, and it's frustrating esp. when I want to go back and play a specific world.

Theres another issue, which I'm sure I need to post somewhere else or make a different thread about. In Astroneer there is game save contamination across Gamertags on the Xbox One. I don't know if the is true for PC, I would hope not. But each Gamertag is a different entity even if it is created by the same person. I'm sure everyone would agree, they don't want someone else screwing up their saves on their console as many people do share it with family members, friends, roommates, etc. There should be different save space allotment for every person (meaning, Gamertag identity) on Xbox One. It's like that for every game I've ever played, and Astroneer should be no different. Nothing should be shared between users. I found the out incidentally because (as a remnant of our days of Family with Gold plan) I have two different Gamertags. That's how I know there is cross-contamination of saved games across accounts.

Wheni first got an Xbox 360 I had no knowledge of Xbox games, well not much. I certainly hadn't played any MP games so I use used a free Silver account. Later when my young son started playing too, we both got Gold accounts and I just found it easier to make a new account with an official GT. Later the Fanily Gold thing came along, basically offering us 2 more Gold accounts for the same price so yeah I went ahead and turned my Silver one into a Gold one officially. It comes in handy sometimes. We have a second Xbox One (mainly because my son is a teen now, and also many games are throwing away couch co-op opportunities so it's the only way we can still play many games together, but yeah I digress). Please keep all Astroneer saves accessible to ONLY the GT that created them. If I need to post the somewhere else, just let me know and I'll do it. Thanks!

Sh4dow Ech0 X1

4 hours ago, Shadow Echo said:

I have been trying to delete some of my saves on Xbox One. I just played the trial a few days ago (what can I say, huge game backlog! but better late than never and as soon as the trial ran out I purchased the game and can't stop playing, great work for a Game Preview much thanks!) so yeah many of the worlds I started are patheticly noob lol. I had already attempted to remove the saved files myself. Actually, when I first bought the Preview, my problem was nothing would save at all. Now, I can't get rid of saves. Feast & famine, all that. I play a lot on Xbox and PS4, even though I'm older (Atari gen) because I have health problems and can't work. So gaming keeps my sanity. I went to Astroneer in My Games & Apps, went to Manage Astroneer, to Saved Data, but it just says "Delete Saved Data" it doesn't give me any option to "Delete Everywhere" like others keep suggesting. If I choose "Delete Saved Data" the next time I play, it just starts syncing to the Cloud. I play many games, and it's not feasible for me to turn this feature off (even if I could manage to locate where this setting is, I've scoured Xbox One settings for it and can't seem to locate it again for the life of me). I'm not sure that, even if I located it, I can set it to Cloud Save and Sync only particular game data and not others, I suspect it's an all-or-nothing deal. I could be wrong, but that's my best guess. I've tried 2-3 times to delete Astroneer saved data, and each time I re-boot the game, it will say "Syncyinc Saved Data" I try to be very quick and hit "Cancel" and then it asks "Keep Syncing" or "Cancel Syncing" and I try to hit "Cancel" but I'm guessing because the game files aren't too huge it just manages to complete before the Xbox realizes I've hit a button on my controller and told it to cancel.

TL;DR I can't delete saves on my Xbox One because:

(1) I'm not given an option to "delete everywhere" just to "delete saved data"

(2) as soon as I load Astroneer it recollects the saved data from syncing with Cloud Data, and I'm unable to stop it in time

So, any advice, suggestions, etc?

Also, I agree we need to be able to name saved files, or add some other distinguishing info for them. Some files I want to keep, others I don't. At this point I have no idea which ones are which, and it's frustrating esp. when I want to go back and play a specific world.

Theres another issue, which I'm sure I need to post somewhere else or make a different thread about. In Astroneer there is game save contamination across Gamertags on the Xbox One. I don't know if the is true for PC, I would hope not. But each Gamertag is a different entity even if it is created by the same person. I'm sure everyone would agree, they don't want someone else screwing up their saves on their console as many people do share it with family members, friends, roommates, etc. There should be different save space allotment for every person (meaning, Gamertag identity) on Xbox One. It's like that for every game I've ever played, and Astroneer should be no different. Nothing should be shared between users. I found the out incidentally because (as a remnant of our days of Family with Gold plan) I have two different Gamertags. That's how I know there is cross-contamination of saved games across accounts.

Wheni first got an Xbox 360 I had no knowledge of Xbox games, well not much. I certainly hadn't played any MP games so I use used a free Silver account. Later when my young son started playing too, we both got Gold accounts and I just found it easier to make a new account with an official GT. Later the Fanily Gold thing came along, basically offering us 2 more Gold accounts for the same price so yeah I went ahead and turned my Silver one into a Gold one officially. It comes in handy sometimes. We have a second Xbox One (mainly because my son is a teen now, and also many games are throwing away couch co-op opportunities so it's the only way we can still play many games together, but yeah I digress). Please keep all Astroneer saves accessible to ONLY the GT that created them. If I need to post the somewhere else, just let me know and I'll do it. Thanks!

Sh4dow Ech0 X1

Sadly as I do not own the Xbox One version of Astroneer so I am unable to help you any further from this point... Hopefully someone from the community notes your problem and can help you out ;) 

Thanks anyway. I had searched "saves" looking for help, same as I have just started playing (and enjoying) the game, which means I am new to this forum as well. I didn't realize when I made my post this was a "PC" thread, I only replied because I saw others had replied regarding X1 saves. I'm not sure if its a good or bad idea to separate threads into PC vs Xbox, as there are certainly plenty of pros and cons to both approaches (games of all sorts that exist on console and PC, even mobile as well, will have things that are the same or very similar, plus things that are very different, by the nature of their platform, operating system, version, possibility of mods, and many many more.

Currently I don't see a "dedicated help thread" for X1 users, which is funny in a way. Its the console user who generally has the most limited options of all when it comes to games (compared to PC). PC users often can use their own system functions to access files and whatnot and, to a certain extent, they can rely on inherent features whichever OS they use to grant them access to certain functions. In this case, they can access saved Astroneer game files and delete them if need be, simply because of the nature of how file management works on a PC. All this can occur even when, for example, a game such as Astroneer (in pre-alpha version of course, im sure just as everyone else is this game will have some decent save/delete file management once further along) doesn't yet support save file management in-game regardless of what platform it is available for. Hopefully that made sense. Basically, console players are stuck for the moment, because we can't access saved files directly like one can on a PC. I just hope this is being looked into and soon, because I'm sure many of use would like to free ourselves of some of our "early misadventures in Astroneering" I know I would lol. :P

my game I have the most advancement in is also now incredibly laggy with terrible FPS. I know this has been brought up a million times, but I never experience lag up until tonight. I use LAN connection only, and speeds aren't great but not horrible either. Only thing I can think of is maybe it's that I have 6-8 saves and that may be slowing things down, or my latest world (haven't gotten off of it yet) has a lot of caves explored with tethers and objects and beacons, so maybe that's another possibility. I hope it will just go away, as I would hate the game to become unexplorable, or be unable to liftoff eventually and explore other places. But this isn't really a question for anyone to answer, only an observation. I'll see what happens tomorrow and hope it's just an isolated dip. I just started exploring with 2 chained trucks, and it's been a crazy ride! Good luck all fellow Astroneer-explorers! :)