Navigation is not Astroneers best Thing to Offer.

Beacons only Help so far, until your Planet has so Many of them that it literally Looks like a HIV Virus.

Strains---virus.jpg

(Accurate).

[/humor]

Eitherway, One way to Solve the Problem of an Overview are Maps.

Now in my Current idea, they are just a Way to Get a Overview of the Planet you are on and to Waste Items and Resources.

Now lets get to the Map itself. I'd Imagine it as a Module. with a Holographic Display of the Planet you are on. It shows Beacons, Homes, Players, etc.

rSGt6fy.jpg

(About what i mean)

now, to Map the Planet you gotta use something, a Small or Big Radar comes to mind. Either Carry the Small Radar with you to Scan the Area around you while you Explore (Uses Power to Scan). Or use the Big one, Either on a Vihicle or on a Satellite.

Now the Satellite, i thought about it as a Un-manable Shuttle. that Flies into the Orbit of the Planet. a One-Way Trip, it would have 3 total 2-S Connectors and a Internal Battery to Run something on it... for Example a Big Radar.

A3kTqY1.jpg

I - Small Radar

II - Big Radar

III - New Solar Panel, Rotates with the Star's Movement

IV - Satellite

The Design idea for the Big Radar is from Real Life GPS Satellites.

Global_Positioning_System_satellite.jpg

http://spaceflightnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/GPS_IIF.jpg

And that is basically it.

I have no idea if any of These Would somehow Work in this Game... maybe atleast the Satellite Idea... maybe for Microwave Transmission to get Power from the Orbit or Store it up there.

Hope it was somewhat Informative, I'm bad at Suggesting, because i know that Devs don't like Fully Planned Ideas... which is Understandable.

Also yes i worked hard on those Sketches xD

Thats a very cool idea almost like Kerbal. I think at least a planetary map would be nice, so that when you go wondering through the wastelands you can at-least locate you base or a direction to head instead of using the celestial belt as a navigation.

Wow! Nicely fleshed out idea. A nice addition to this might be the ability to copy the map and take a small version of it with you. So you could travel around in your Truck with a globe telling you where you were. This has some really cool possibilities. 

Posted this over ing Gen Disc., just how I think maps should be integrated:

Only proper way a map system should be implemented into this game imo, is a weak radar/map item. It would give you a rough and mostly topographical view of an immediate range around you, and then any beacons or habitats would show up as blips on said radar. If the beacon is out of the view range of the radar, it would just show up on the edge of the hud. This way, you don't take away from the exploration aspect, but you can still help yourself when you get totally lost.

You could also make it so the radar has a range, and that blips will only show up so far away from the player. This would mean you would still  need to use beacons when exploring, but you would need considerably less, and they'd be more effective.

I do like your idea of levels of mapping, and maybe this could be the first level, crafted with titanium and copper or something. Then you could get stronger mapping tools that you mentioned later on in the game. 

11 hours ago, RedGaijin said:

Posted this over ing Gen Disc., just how I think maps should be integrated:

I do like your idea of levels of mapping, and maybe this could be the first level, crafted with titanium and copper or something. Then you could get stronger mapping tools that you mentioned later on in the game. 

to make it Harder to get, maybe you would only be able to Find Big Radars, on Crashed Spacecrafts.

Or just Rare Ressearch.

Realy nice idea! Would be a real nice addition to the game and help with navigation and such, without killing the feeling of exploring unknown territory.
It would also be nice if it was possible to give other symbols to beacons and maybe names. Or categorize them so you can turn them on and off on your HUD and group them like:

- Resources
- Bases
- POI

etc...

Btw - Mad drawing skills there! B|

Edited by Docktor Dicking