How do I start a world with someone and do you want to start a world with me?

None of my IRL friends have bought this as of yet, I want to try out the multiplayer though so I'm turning to the forums. I can't seem to find a multiplayer button so I'm assuming it's through steam, I don't know.

Its through Steam (if thats where you bought it). Using your Friends List, and other friends who have the game. When either of you are playing a game, you select your friend in the list and right-click to "Join Game...". It then launches your astroneer, and puts you at the astronaut chooser. Pick one, and it launches you down to your friends 1st habitat (only, for now). You will not have anything, even if you re-join their game (for now?).

But the kicker is, you need steam friends to join/play coop.

14 minutes ago, Frigidman said:

Its through Steam (if thats where you bought it). Using your Friends List, and other friends who have the game. When either of you are playing a game, you select your friend in the list and right-click to "Join Game...". It then launches your astroneer, and puts you at the astronaut chooser. Pick one, and it launches you down to your friends 1st habitat (only, for now). You will not have anything, even if you re-join their game (for now?).

But the kicker is, you need steam friends to join/play coop.

Do you get a backpack? Like can I build myself a base on their planet?

24 minutes ago, Winjavinchi said:

Do you get a backpack? Like can I build myself a base on their planet?

You get a backpack. Its empty though. You will need to head out and find some materials... make some solar panel attachments, and tanks and such for yourself. If you exit the game, you kind of lose it all (it does drop in your friends game, so they can store it somewhere if you return). MP is a bit 'rough' right now ;) It'll get better.

18 minutes ago, Winjavinchi said:

Does it despawn over the night or when I login will I be standing over it all?

Everything is saved host side, as long as the game gets saved it'll be there

Just now, Zylo said:

Everything is saved host side, as long as the game gets saved it'll be there

oh that's sweet! in that case i'm looking for 3 people to add and start a world with right now

Just know, at this moment, when you RE-join a friend's game, you will be launched and land at the 1st habitat. Regardless where and what you were doing when you left the game prior.

This sort of awkward thing hopefully will go away when they introduce that dedicated server stuff they keep hinting at :D

1 hour ago, Frigidman said:

Just know, at this moment, when you RE-join a friend's game, you will be launched and land at the 1st habitat. Regardless where and what you were doing when you left the game prior.

This sort of awkward thing hopefully will go away when they introduce that dedicated server stuff they keep hinting at :D

As long as a subscriber option isn't mandatory for dedicated servers, donations will flow in from the deeper pocketed fans for sure.

35 minutes ago, Winjavinchi said:

As long as a subscriber option isn't mandatory for dedicated servers, donations will flow in from the deeper pocketed fans for sure.

It'll be a while on dedicated servers, and the game is fairly buggy in MP but I've played with 3 others on steam hosting with an i5 3570k with no issues:)

1 hour ago, Zylo said:

It'll be a while on dedicated servers, and the game is fairly buggy in MP but I've played with 3 others on steam hosting with an i5 3570k with no issues:)

I was playing with some people earlier and it worked perfectly fine for me as well :)

Oh I highly doubt dedicated servers would be pay-for/subscribe. I just want to run my own on my private DS, for me and my friend(s) to co-op on like we do with other games that have DS ability for co-op. Its more fun to have a bit better persistence, and a dedicated machine to handle that end. But yet, they are probably a year out for that I'ma gonna Guess™