Devious_Oatmeal

The most OP thing in the game! (Clickbait title)

The vacuum.

I love the vacuum. I adore the thing. It adds soooo much possibility into the game. But it makes exploring waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy. And I am talking waaaaaaaaay too easy.

Do I want it to not be in the game? No... sort of. I like that it exists, but I wish it was not in the initial release as everyone who has now played the game is spoiled by it, in a sense. So it may be too late to say 'I wish it were taken out'.

Should it be a researchable thing? Again, no... but sort of maybe. It is a powerful tool. The most powerful tool we have, actually.

It can:

• Make bridges and ramps to the heavens.
  • Dig tunnels to the world's core.
  • Mine resources.
  • Get rid of plants/enemies.
  • Make Flintstone homes, even castles.
  • Make mountains.
  • Destroy mountains.

My point is that its drawback, gameplay-wise, is that it is TOO versatile; it throws a very large metaphorical blanket over sooo much in the game. It eliminates other possible ways that could be added that would solve these problems.

I don't want to say it, but if my hinting at it wasn't enough, and this will more than likely not be a very popular opinion, possibly one I just have... But could we maybe not have the vacuum in the game? At least not at the beginning when the final release comes. Maybe in the survival mode?

45 minutes ago, Devious_Oatmeal said:

The vacuum.

I love the vacuum. I adore the thing. It adds soooo much possibility into the game. But it makes exploring waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy. And I am talking waaaaaaaaay too easy.

Do I want it to not be in the game? No... sort of. I like that it exists, but I wish it was not in the initial release as everyone who has now played the game is spoiled by it, in a sense. So it may be too late to say 'I wish it were taken out'.

Should it be a researchable thing? Again, no... but sort of maybe. It is a powerful tool. The most powerful tool we have, actually.

It can:

• Make bridges and ramps to the heavens.
  • Dig tunnels to the world's core.
  • Mine resources.
  • Get rid of plants/enemies.
  • Make Flintstone homes, even castles.
  • Make mountains.
  • Destroy mountains.

My point is that its drawback, gameplay-wise, is that it is TOO versatile; it throws a very large metaphorical blanket over sooo much in the game. It eliminates other possible ways that could be added that would solve these problems.

I don't want to say it, but if my hinting at it wasn't enough, and this will more than likely not be a very popular opinion, possibly one I just have... But could we maybe not have the vacuum in the game? At least not at the beginning when the final release comes. Maybe in the survival mode?

this is not about using it, its about the world, i think astroneer is going to be a cind of god game, you build all your shit, but then your done and can shape at will, they are making selfdesigning(personal) spaceships, probably more planets, its going to be a cool game about building, now yes i havnt played the vaccuum yet but its maybe good to make a gamemode without it, or something to put on and off

21 hours ago, astroneer player said:

this is not about using it, its about the world, i think astroneer is going to be a cind of god game, you build all your shit, but then your done and can shape at will, they are making selfdesigning(personal) spaceships, probably more planets, its going to be a cool game about building, now yes i havnt played the vaccuum yet but its maybe good to make a gamemode without it, or something to put on and off

The vacuum is the terraformer thing you start the game with. The thing that you use to mine and suck up resources.

I don't understand your response though.

They told it on stream: you will probably have a "bag" for all that ground sucked up by your tool, so no unlimited tunnel digging. I mean, you will have to manage your... mud :3

On 1/8/2017 at 8:43 AM, gp. said:

They told it on stream: you will probably have a "bag" for all that ground sucked up by your tool, so no unlimited tunnel digging. I mean, you will have to manage your... mud :3

Even this wouldn't be such an issue. Just suck and drop off. Similar to a construction site, but we would be able to dump any dirt off anywhere we wanted to.

I do wonder if you can have clumps of dirt though. Like the nuggets you get from resources, except you can save the dirt. Maybe even use the dirt to make things to construct stuff; like the buildings so many people are requesting.

Terrain Tool Is The Thing That Kinda Defines This Game And Makes It Unique . Maybe If They Added A Storage To How Much Dirt You Can Pick Up As In Storage Numbers On The Side Of Your Terrain Tool , Not Storage As In Printer Storage.

The Terrain Tool IS the game. It'd just be another space explorer-them-up without it and new ones of those get posted weekly on steam. That and the planets are such a scale that doing the things you mention take actual days to complete. Is that not playing the game?

If anything I'd like to see the tool taken further with upgraded different heads that modify the terrain in different ways 

17 minutes ago, Raytheon said:

The terrain tool IS the game

I agree. The amount of fun per one tool. It's over 9000.

Yes. I mentioned all this. I am aware of how great the tool is, and I love it. That is why I am split on the idea of taking it out. Development-speaking, it solves so many problems for the devs in solving other problems. It is a very versatile tool and I have no issue with it staying in the game. I am not saying it NEEDS to be taken out. I am just saying that its existence in the game feels a little restrictive in a way.

As for the vacuum being the game, well... No, not really. It is a large part of the game, yes -which may be due to how powerful it is- but the game itself has merits in many other facets, and saying that the vacuum is what makes it so unique is kind of an insult to the game itself. There's a lot more to this game than a vacuum.

As I also stated, my reasoning for taking it out -or at the least making it a researchable item- is because it is so powerful. The tool is so good, in fact, that it limits ideas for the game. Nets or ropes to climb down in caves? The vacuum can make ramps. Dig down through the ground with a large vehicle or thing? The vacuum can make large holes and does not need a bulky machine. Need a cave quickly without needing to find an entrance from exploration? Just dig down until you find one. Mechanics where you can build bases and walls? Use the flatten tool for some Flintstone buildings. See something up high on a mountain and need something to scale it? Use the vacuum to tear a path into the side.

On 8.01.2017 at 3:43 PM, gp. said:

Great! 

If you start putting limitations on the terrain tool it would kinda suck tbh. power limitation is good enough already. tbh it could use a bit more reach and maybe one day a painting option

This is an interesting thought, but ultimately, I think the game would not be the same without the vacuum.

16 hours ago, syterth said:

This is an interesting thought, but ultimately, I think the game would not be the same without the vacuum.

You are correct. The game would be very different gameplay-wise, as a powerful tool would be taken away, and a multitude of other machines and gadgets would replace every function of one machine. In the real world, this would be counter-intuitive, as a machine that can do soooo many jobs should stay. But, for a game, it is different.

That's what I meant about players being 'spoiled' by the tool now. Since it exists, people will want it to stay due to it being so strong. They are used to it.

All I am asking of anyone that sees this is, "What would happen if the terrain tool was taken out?" And "The game wouldn't work!" isn't a plausible answer. Anything the tool would do, would now be open for designs and other solutions, be them new mechanics, tools, or twists on current things.

But, this isn't necessary. Like I said. I wouldn't mind if the tool stayed, since it's a lot of fun to use.

It could be interesting if the tool was limited more and they introduced various research points to be achieved to improve the tool.

On 1/17/2017 at 5:43 AM, The Touch of Grey Gamer said:

I adore posts like these. "I don't like this part of the game. I don't have to use it if I don't want to but that is not a solution for me! The solution is, not to allow anyone to use it because I don't like it!"

I didn't say that at all. You should read the thread before saying stuff like that, rather than assuming something about it. It makes it hard to take what you say as anything but constructive or valid of understanding the topic.

But to summarize. I love the tool. It would be neat if it didn't exist though.

On 10-1-2017 at 5:53 AM, DragonAstroneer said:

Great! 

This would be great indeed.

Also if you would like to build with the vacumm. You would need to first stockpile some mud in the vacuum.

It's power usage is enough of a limitation for me. If you want to dig a huge tunnel or build a mountain, you aren't doing it until late game where you have substantial power production and storage already built. Without the infrastructure backing you up it's pretty limited.