kwip

Advice/tutorials on building ramps?

Yes, I know, terribly dumb newb question, but I love this game despite being quite possibly the world (universe?)'s worst Astroneer: any advice for building ramps down/out of caves? I have been trying to get better at it, but I always wind up building a series of pillars, which then turns into some odd Giger-esque formation that results in me falling off (or through). I've tried smoothing and raising/lowering in quick spurts, but I just can't seem to get it right.

Do I just need more practice? I mean, yes, obviously... But are there any pointers beyond that? Anyone have any particular method they use, especially to make a ramp big (wide) enough for a vehicle?

Thanks for any advice!

I am still rather new but I have had the best luck with making ramps down. Walking while making them ramp has been working. At least till I mess and fall.

You are using ctrl right?

I think it is just the practice. I still need it too.

I've gotten pretty good at making ramps. I make a small inclination with my tool until I'm happy with the angle and then I use flatten to make the ramp as wide and long as I want

Nice video, only tip i can add to it, is it is easier to build a ramp down, than it is to build it up, this is due to the way the camera bobs around and keeps trying to auto level itself, which is insanely annoying.

As said above, if you want to build a random ramp down into the ground, the easiest way is build a wall, then flatten the ground at the bottom of it, or vice versa, then you'll see a little 45degree angle pop between the bottom of the wall and the ground, use this angle to make a perfect 45 degree ramp down into the ground.

Much of it is just practice, after awhile it's obvious what you need to center over to get the angle you want.

It is much harder working with bright surfaces, mainly because you just can't see the triangles due to glare, esp in daylight.

Before building a ramp, make a decent sized power plant setup, it takes alot of power to keep on building.

If you plan on building a base, it's a good idea to raise the ground level, at least to the height of the wheel of a truck for example, otherwise when you login each time, the floor will be covered with rocks and flowers etc.

Edited by Martin

58 minutes ago, Martin said:

Nice video, only tip i can add to it, is it is easier to build a ramp down, than it is to build it up, this is due to the way the camera bobs around and keeps trying to auto level itself, which is insanely annoying.

As said above, if you want to build a random ramp down into the ground, the easiest way is build a wall, then flatten the ground at the bottom of it, or vice versa, then you'll see a little 45degree angle pop between the bottom of the wall and the ground, use this angle to make a perfect 45 degree ramp down into the ground.

Much of it is just practice, after awhile it's obvious what you need to center over to get the angle you want.

It is much harder working with bright surfaces, mainly because you just can't see the triangles due to glare, esp in daylight.

Before building a ramp, make a decent sized power plant setup, it takes alot of power to keep on building.

If you plan on building a base, it's a good idea to raise the ground level, at least to the height of the wheel of a truck for example, otherwise when you login each time, the floor will be covered with rocks and flowers etc.

Ahh  thanks for the tips. I often build from bottom up.

1 hour ago, Martin said:

Same applies to stalagmites and stalactites. I've found if you don't clear the ones on the ceiling, they reform on the floor, usually in the middle of a ramp.