Sparklemane

[Merged] Trapped In Habitat

I built a new habitat and carried it to another part of the planet. I set it down but did not deploy it as a starter base. Then I went inside and it saved my game, and I quit to Main menu. Loading the game up, my astroneer is stuck in the habitat, there is no "x" that displays giving me the option to exit. Not sure if this is solvable for this save, but thought it an important tip. 

same here, all that progress seems to have gone unless you fix this bug. 

Even though I had this problem before new year, it is interesting though that this has been posted just two hours ago, almost around same time I decided to post this bug report and came here :) 

(edit:I did it in same planet, created an habitat and put it on ground and got in)

AUTOSAVE_0_2016.12.26-01.16.55.sav

Edited by LostAlien

Please can someone go on and pester them about this issue

Twitch.tv/ses_Dev Jan 26th 3-4:30pm est (-5 utc)

Yes I know this is today but only just seen the post on the feed.

20170126_133023.jpg

Hello, 

I was playing with my friend and we builded once another capsule for no reason. We didnt docked it so it was laying around on the ground. When a sandstorm appears i was sometimes going in this capsule to safe myself but i cant get out of it anymore. You need to press TAB to get out of it but it doesnt work there. Here is a screenshot so you can understand. Someone got a solution for this?

https://gyazo.com/5b9489004c9de19aa423df7bb2c0ad48

Greets Caba

7 hours ago, Caba said:

Hello, 

I was playing with my friend and we builded once another capsule for no reason. We didnt docked it so it was laying around on the ground. When a sandstorm appears i was sometimes going in this capsule to safe myself but i cant get out of it anymore. You need to press TAB to get out of it but it doesnt work there. Here is a screenshot so you can understand. Someone got a solution for this?

https://gyazo.com/5b9489004c9de19aa423df7bb2c0ad48

Greets Caba

If you wouldn't mind, could you repost your bug report in the thread linked below.  It contains a list of many other people who have also reported this game killing bug.  By gathering all those other reports into one thread, it will make it much easier for the moderators staymighty & Wyvyrias to make that thread pinned.

https://forum.systemera.net/topic/8228-trapped-in-habitat/

Copied from a post i made:

Something odd happened to me last night.  Had traveled to Radiated with spaceship full of stuff to build a new base..including a habitat.  Took the hab off the ship and had to walk it over to the spot i wanted a ways from the ship.  Set it down (not deployed) and while i was smoothing the ground where i was going to place it...a storm came.  Being so far from my ship...i just used the hab.  As soon as i entered the hab, it took off tumbling on the ground and then launched into the sky.  It went up out of the atmosphere a number of times always coming back down and bouncing off the ground.  On one trip back down it got stuck sideways in a crevise of a cave.  Won't let me exit or hit the deploy button (which isn't even active).

Exited to menu and came back in hoping for it to put me someplace else...maybe my ship, but i end up back in the hab again.  So....its an unplayable save now.  Ah well...just started another. Just an odd glitch i thought I'd share...

I'm sorry if this is a noob question but I'm relatively new to the game (having just started playing in the last week) on Xbox One. I have a printed a habitat (which I haven't placed anywhere or used yet, in fact it's just sitting on top of a unused "extension node" atm but actually I do recall having entered it once before using the "X" but luckily it didn't hold me captive, in fact it didn't do anything not even save the game but that's probably because at that specific time it was attached to the side of a machining table (I think it was my Printer table, but can't be 100% certain). Maybe it can only save the game when it's actually placed on the ground? Anyway, the point is I want to establish 1 (possibly 2) satellite locations on my Terran homeworld in which I've already invested a lot of time (although I'm sure I'll have many more such games in the future as the game evolves over time). I hope soon to start venturing to other planets as well (I just unlocked though research the spaceship). While losing a game is always a possibility especially in a Game Preview, the last thing I want to happen is get locked in that little pod and have to start over if it's already a known bug, something I'm sure is being worked on and a patch in the works, but broken as of the moment nonetheless. So I guess my question is, under what specific set of circumstances (if known) are people getting in stuck in a satellite the pod (habitat)? Is it when placed on the ground anywhere specifically? Is there some sort of message that's supposed to appear (I read something about a prompt not appearing for "deploy" the habitat) is that what is supposed to show up but isn't and that's when it seems people are getting trapped? If so, does that mean if I place a satellite habitat pod elsewhere on my starter planet, that if the "deploy" message appears, everything should be ok? Or is it better to place it down, and go through the initial steps of extending some peripherals from the pod to establish just to make sure it's "valid" in some way the game will recognize? Sorry for all the questions I just want to take all the precautions I can. I realize any advice given can't guarantee an issue won't arise, there's always risk in any game but more so this early in development, but I'm having s great time enjoying the game so overall it's worth it without a doubt.

Like I said just looking to clarify a few things:

-Should I be looking for a "deploy" message before entering any satellite habitats?

-Do I need to extend from the satellite base to make it "legitimate" and recognized by the game? Or is the satellite habitat not recognized and therefore won't function as a base to extend from?

-Is the problem of getting locked in a habitat limited to use of satellite habitats on the starter world Terran, on does it also involve placing a new starter habitat on a newly "discovered" planet as well?

-Is this more of an intermittent issue? (this may be difficult to answer so I'm less concerned about knowing the answer.

Overall I'm pleased with the game. Sure I understand people get frustrated having to start over. After awhile even before I've made it off Terran I start to get a lot of FPS drop (on X1) because I have so much going on in the world (I have started to go through now and remove tethers and such, but as of yet we cannot destroy or recycle structures so there is only so much I can do). When a game is pre-alpha, encountering issues is to be expected. Things will improve over time, best thing is to report and give feedback, and be patient. I, too, have had my share of hiccups. Initially my games wouldn't save at all. Now they do, but on Xbox1 I can't get rid of any saves, and multiplayer isn't working at all. Those issues have already been reported by many people. One thing I do need to report (but I'll need to make another thread for it) is existing cross-contamination of saves on the Xbox1 between GamerTag profiles, essentially different users, and that's something that should NEVER occur regardless of the type of game. I've actually never seen that happen, and I've been gaming for decades, and on Xbox since the 360. An Xbox may be shared by many different people, such as family members, friends, roommates, etc, people who may be very close, or just acquaintances. That's why they can have there own identify, account, preferences, method of payment, and other things which also includes separate save files. I happened to check another of our family's GT's on my X1 and found my own save files were available to it, despite this GT having never accessed Astroneer, never attempted to access multiplayer with my account by joining a game, never played the trial, nothing as far as I'm aware of. There's no reason that GT should have any access to my saves, and frankly that could be quite worrisome in some use case scenarios. Like I said this will need to go into a separate bug report thread, but it is also something that will need to be addressed. GT profiles on Xbox are no different really than User Profiles on a PC. Sure, one can opt to not secure your Xbox profile, but you also can lock it down and require a PIN you set in order to sign in and to approve purchases. GTs are definitely not "shared accounts" unless one wants to set them up that way, and so game saves should not be shared by default (all the GT profiles on my X1 have PINs to sign in, specifically because it helps manage purchasing permissions and things like privacy profiles, etc). Thanks for reading!

@Shadow Echo, after seeing your post I decided to do some testing... PC - Windows 10 Store (not Steam), Build # 0.2.10119.0

First, when a new habitat is printed and is still sitting on the printer, the deployment button is not displayed.  Only after removing it from the printer and setting it on the ground does the deployment button appear.  If the Astroneer is standing away from the habitat the TAB icon does not appear. (Image 1)

When the Astroneer moves closer, both the deployment button & the TAB icon are displayed (Image 2).  At this point if you press TAB, the Astroneer will get inside and the game will save (Image 3)... if you then quit the game and come back later, when you launch that game you will be TRAPPED IN HABITAT.  You can also press TAB to get out of the habitat instead of quitting, and then continue playing... however if you do this, any progress will be lost unless you save in a deployed habitat or vehicle seat before quitting.  Because of course, the game loads from the last time you saved.  And if your last save was inside an undeployed habitat, you'll be trapped.

If you remove a newly printed habitat from the printer and  attached it to a platform or an expansion node, the deployment button is not displayed (Image 4).  You can move close and the TAB icon will appear.  If you then press TAB the Astroneer will get inside... however the game will not save.  If you quit the game at this point, when you come back the game loads from your last save, and the new habitat you attached to the platform or expansion node will be deleted.  You can get out of a habitat which is attached to a platform or expansion node and continue playing... however if you do this, be sure to save as normal in a deployed habitat or vehicle seat before quitting.

If you remove a newly printed habitat from the printer and attach it to a vehicle (rover/truck/shuttle/spaceship/vehicle storage), the deployment button is not displayed (Image 5).  You can move close and the TAB icon will appear.  If you then press TAB the Astroneer will get inside.. however this time the game will save.  At this point you can quit the game with no bad effects.  When you come back later and launch the game, you will still be in the habitat, but you can press TAB to get out and continue playing.

If you remove a newly printed habitat from the printer, you can carry it by hand to where you want it, or attach it to a vehicle and transport it to another planet.  When you set it on the ground and push that orange deployment button, the ground underneath turns gray (Image 6).  It is now safe to get inside to save your game.  You can click the expansion port (the one that follows you around) to start building a new base.  The expansion port only appears after you deploy the habitat.

Image 1

u9WQG5l.jpg

Image 2

dANknsQ.jpg

Image 3

0fcAOmE.jpg

Image 4

M8LCe61.jpg

Image 5

Pm5MG5j.jpg

Image 6

eL3fnGp.jpg

I was unable to reproduce a condition that I witnessed happen to a guy streaming the game, I don't know if he was on v119 or not.   He printed a Hab and loaded it onto a truck to start a new base elsewhere on Terran.  When he took it off the truck and set it on the ground, the Deployment button disappeared.  It may be the disappearing deployment button was fixed for v119.  Regardless, if you save your game in an undeployed habitat you will be trapped.

Edited by Pi_

+1 this bug happened to me as well.   This is such a let down!  I wish you could roll back to a previous save file - that would at least save the file from being unplayable. 

I think I will start a new file anyway, but this is a huge bug!   Almost a 20 hour file, multiple bases, just hooked up that badass scavenged solar panel system, which I was pumped about.

Is there a way to manually back up the save games?

ALSO -- I was not near any of my stored dynamite.. Do you think a dynamite would've out-bugged this bug?

I never used a dynamite, but my thought was that if it could destroy the habitat, maybe it would bust my guy out of prison.  Thoughts?

Something I tried was placing another habitat right on top of the bugged one, to see if I could magically tab into that one and save myself.  That did nothing.

Edited by Capt_Schwank

2 minutes ago, Capt_Schwank said:

ALSO -- I was not near any of my stored dynamite.. Do you think a dynamite would've out-bugged this bug?

I never used a dynamite, but my thought was that if it could destroy the habitat, maybe it would bust my guy out of prison.  Thoughts?

Someone said that did work to kill their character and get out of there, yeah.

2 minutes ago, Wyvyrias said:

Someone said that did work to kill their character and get out of there, yeah.

Really?!  AHH!  Good to know that it was a solid theory.

That sucks to have not been near any dynamites, then.  My base was sweet with that huge honkin solar panel setup.  Just hooked it into the truck and started connecting big batteries. 

8 hours ago, Capt_Schwank said:

Is there a way to manually back up the save games?

The following applies only to the PC - Windows Store version (not Steam).  This procedure is not endorsed by SES or the developers... USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

To be clear this does not allow you to create a restore point retroactively, but rather going forward in a game currently in progress, and any new game save you start.  So remember, the key is to make the restore point BEFORE doing something in the game which you later may want to reverse.

To create the restore point:

1) Make a new folder on your desktop with a descriptive name so you can easily identify it.
2) Navigate to C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Packages\SystemEraSoftworks\SystemAppData\wgs\ 
3) Copy the \wgs folder, which contains sub folders & files needed for the complete restore point. 
4) Paste the \wgs folder inside the folder you made in step #1.  You are done, the restore point has been created.

To load the restore point:

5) Open the folder you made in step #1.
6) Again copy that \wgs folder.
7) Navigate to C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Packages\SystemEraSoftworks\SystemAppData\wgs\
8) Delete the \wgs folder, then paste the \wgs folder you copied in step #6.  Start the game like normal.

You can make multiple folders as in step #1 to create multiple restore points throughout a particular game...  that's why it's important to give each folder in step #1 a descriptive name.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:36 AM, Colude said:

I've just had this issue occur on my savegame and can't find a workaround... 

While using a habitat to roll down a tunnel I was excavating to the planet's centre,

ok, stop it right there.

This made my evening.

Nice I am backing them up now.  That worked, thanks.

Check this out, damn thing is baiting me to get in there and ruin my new save.

And then another shot where it's on the Shuttle, poised to strike.

361420_screenshots_20170131201000_1.jpg

361420_screenshots_20170131200155_1.jpg

earlier today i tried raising the ground under myself and the ground sort of "ate" me and then i was constantly falling but eventually i landed in a cave and died haha. ill take a screenshot next time . on steam version.

Edited by Logixal

It took me days to get this base totally enclosed and smoothed out (it's a lot of trial and error to get the leveling tool exactly on an axis) I even have a finished basement :P  But... I am now stuck in this decorative habitat and can't continue my game. I'm not really feeling it starting from scratch again to get back to this point. :( 

UnusableBase.jpg

Welcome to the ever expanding club. I have given up playing until this is sorted. Can't believe they were more Concerned about stopping people from Stealing items back from the trade platform than fixing a glitch that is absolutely destroying some players games and wrecking the enjoyment of Astroneer.

I understand it is all part of the risk of buying a game that is still a work in progress but that does not make it any less devastating to have this happen after countless hours of hard work.

Lets Hope that the next update fixes the problem so we can enjoy it fully once again.

I should read this thread before trying to save in a non deployed habitat... 

Now I'm stuck too... On the center (the real center) of my main planet... I've work plenty of hours to make lot of things I wan't to share with you (a giant flat hole to the center maybe 75m * 75m, make the sun shine inside to the center too, etc).

I'm trying since last night to go down with a dynamite but when I make it explode, it won't kill my stucked astroneer.

Should I place it on a back plug, does anyone have more infos about what we can do to end this bug?

Thank you and have a great day (even if this bug kill our gameplay)!