Idea for how to balance RTG (with screenshots)

Hi

I would like if RTG would work not as a generator but more like a amplifier of energy.

So, RTG would require (let's say) 6 units of energy to run with full efficiency, and if you achieved that.
It will "produce" 10 units, so you will have 4 more then at the start, kind of like right now.
But it will not work on it's own!

🔽
1329864786_Units2.thumb.png.37fe2c2b43c2d92cd4d39cc1dd76e5ed.png

This will make RTG work as intended, it will enhance building a endgame structures, but because it will constantly require energy all the solar panels, wind turbines and most importantly batteries (combined with battery sensors or power sensors) would still have their application in game, even after unlocking RTG.

I did spend a few hours making high platform for solar panels and some simple automation for the auto arms, and generator.
RTG makes all of this completely pointless, because instead i could just put 2 RTG and it would achieve the exact same :(

1072534541_Mojabaza.thumb.png.501a5231fc842340fd4f6281ae2b6f77.png

*For creating mode you can add another generator that would behave like a standard RTG.

Posted (edited)

Hi

RTG instead of working as generator could work as "power amplifier"*

Edited by hardkoR

One thing is certain, RTGs make all power generation technology obsolete. Personally, I now play without rtg to have a slightly more exciting gaming experience. The proposed idea is not bad, however I think it is possible to easily create a system so that the energy produced can partly return to the RTG itself and the other part to go out, without using renewable sources.
Another way would be to store energy on batteries that goes to the RTG which recharges the batteries and the excess energy feeds the other.

Interesting idea, but impractical for the problems mentioned.

I just thought that the operation could be changed while still preserving the same purpose:

RTG directly increases the energy produced by generators / wind / solar placed on its own platform or directly connected to it. Batteries are not affected by this. Maybe the increase in energy production could be around 50%. An average solar placed on the same platform or directly connected to another with rtg, would increase the energy produced from 2 to 3. An XL wind turbine (17 U / s) connected directly to a RTG, would produce 25.5.

It is possible to add additional RTGs on the same generator to further increase the energy produced. It is important to understand that the RTGs are connected directly and no more than one platform away from the generators.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, JohnnyZerg said:

however I think it is possible to easily create a system so that the energy produced can partly return to the RTG itself and the other part to go out, without using renewable sources.
Another way would be to store energy on batteries that goes to the RTG which recharges the batteries and the excess energy feeds the other.

Interesting idea, but impractical for the problems mentioned

I agree that you can do what you said, but i don't really see any reason to do it, it's not worth it.

If we take my proportion when RTG would need 6 Units to run with full efficiency so it can produce 10 Units of power.

Then:

pain.thumb.png.47865c031be76f96074ef197a00261f4.png

You will end up with system were you start with 6 units of power and at the end you have only 4 ,because 6 units needs to flow in circle between batteries and RTG itself.

Player will basically make 4 units of power out of 6. :)
No reason to do it.
If i understand correctly. 🤔

Of course you can just make tons and tons of batteries then put them on some storages and wait till they will be full.
But it's waste of time, you want things to run all the time, not to create many platforms, storages and tons of batteries and wait, and then manually redirect accumulated energy. 😋

Edited by hardkoR

The whole concept of RTGs has been implemented with some wrong ideas, in my opinion.

RTGs in reality are long lasting, but extremely low yielding power sources. Also, they decay over time (though usually not a problem through their specified life cycle).

RTGs in Astroneer have been implemented for two main reasons, I believe:

• To provide a continuous source of power not dependant on fuel, wind or daylight - so the player doesn't have to manage the power supply when planning their automated factories.
  • To find a use for the high tier components which have to be created in the chemical lab

Possible ways out of this:

• Make RTGs a tier 1 energy source with the same output as a small wind turbine for example. Problem is, players would then build whole banks of these - once you have access to the resources required, what's to stop you building a dozen?
  • Limit the number of RTG's on any power grid to 1. Again, there's the problem that creative players will find workarounds (insular structured bases)
  • Delete RTG's from the build menu altogether. Make them findable objects, like the smaller researchables. This would ensure that there aren't too many RTG's around, their prize value would be higher and exploration would stay rewarding for much longer!