Preyhunter

Advocating for no mini-map

1 minute ago, Ferocious said:

Only to that guy. who thinks telling people to calm down and adding a winky faces to every sentence somehow makes him appear less upset and frustrated. Everyone sees through that shit.

I didn't.. I don't even think about the stuff.   Guess I'm not the right gender for that.

On 1/7/2017 at 7:10 PM, TrojanSteel said:

They could put a dot on your compass which points in the direction of your base. Simple but effective and a lot of games do it.

Ayyy, that was one of my suggestions  Heres the pic I used.

20170109034847_1.jpg

8 minutes ago, Ferocious said:

Would you mind posting that there:

Or can I use your pic for that thread?

1 minute ago, RustyXXL said:

Would you mind posting that there:

Or can I use your pic for that thread?

Yeah go ahead, Not sure how it got in this topic.

What a sad state of gaming we have come to,  if here we are arguing about including a mini-map or not, as if it's some kind of big thing to include or exclude.

I seriously hope SE just ignores these kind of suggestions, as so far the arguments are nonsensical on both sides. I offered my opinion of how to make the map a more interesting item in the game, with levels, and problems that are far more exciting than 'playing with a map' or 'excluding a map for extra challenge'.

Look, every game has a map built in. Few rarely do not. You'll probably not have the map up all the time, as a map can be on keybind "M" as a toggle. For those of you who consider yourself so 'hardcore I don't need a map", then don't press M... ever. For the rest who want a normal experience in a game,  hit the M whenever you feel like having a map.

I wish this discussion was more about how to implement an interesting map into the gameplay, and how it will restrict or empower the player, rather than the non-topic of whether a map should be included in a game about exploration - which activity would always be bound with map making devices.

Stop asking for things to not be included that are trivial, and just create tedium and 'pseudo-difficulty' in the game, and spend more time suggesting innovative gameplay instead.

1 minute ago, ent|ty said:

What a sad state of gaming we have come to,  if here we are arguing about including a mini-map or not, as if it's some kind of big thing to include or exclude.

I seriously hope SE just ignores these kind of suggestions, as so far the arguments are nonsensical on both sides. I offered my opinion of how to make the map a more interesting item in the game, with levels, and problems that are far more exciting than 'playing with a map' or 'excluding a map for extra challenge'.

Look, every game has a map built in. Few rarely do not. You'll probably not have the map up all the time, as a map can be on keybind "M" as a toggle. For those of you who consider yourself so 'hardcore I don't need a map", then don't press M... ever. For the rest who want a normal experience in a game,  hit the M whenever you feel like having a map.

I wish this discussion was more about how to implement an interesting map into the gameplay, and how it will restrict or empower the player, rather than the non-topic of whether a map should be included in a game about exploration - which activity would always be bound with map making devices.

Stop asking for things to not be included that are trivial, and just create tedium and 'pseudo-difficulty' in the game, and spend more time suggesting innovative gameplay instead.

Everything is arguments and negativity.  We're discussin it. Well they are, I'm not bothered either way, so I'm arguing against BOTH sides.

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

Everything is arguments and negativity.  We're discussin it. Well they are, I'm not bothered either way, so I'm arguing against BOTH sides.

Yeah maybe it was a mistake to register on a forum for the first time in 15 years.... I forgot why I left them the last time, lol :D

Usually I talk until Banned.. then go somewhere else and rince/repeat.  Always happy to talk, half the time I disagree with myself.

5 minutes ago, ent|ty said:

6 minutes ago, Martin said:

We have a similar idea about the whole map situation. It can be implemented so that it will work with both parties but some ppl just don't want to hear it.

3 minutes ago, ent|ty said:

Yeah maybe it was a mistake to register on a forum for the first time in 15 years.... I forgot why I left them the last time, lol :D

Indeed. I have only been involved in a few and it always starts out with my posting art and ideas, before I get fed up with the toxicity of the player base.

2 minutes ago, Ferocious said:

Indeed. I have only been involved in a few and it always starts out with my posting art and ideas, before I get fed up with the toxicity of the player base.

You are adding a lot of toxicity by yourself! Just ignore, what you don't like, but don't blame others for your refusal of their statements. Don't make the mistake to take things personally! This will not help at all. Just a well meant advice.

43 minutes ago, nordish said:

You are adding a lot of toxicity by yourself! Just ignore, what you don't like, but don't blame others for your refusal of their statements. Don't make the mistake to take things personally! This will not help at all. Just a well meant advice.

All your messages are out of spite. please move on.

On 06/01/2017 at 2:43 AM, miertam said:

Yes but after 200 or so beacons the game lags something fierce

And what could be interesting is to have an indicator to point a direction (of your choice). When you put a beacon, you don't even know what direction to take to go back to home ^_^

4 minutes ago, Tortue said:

And what could be interesting is to have an indicator to point a direction (of your choice). When you put a beacon, you don't even know what direction to take to go back to home ^_^

produce a mark by yourself --> terran forming tool ;)

PS: For all who might be interested as well: This forum has an option to ignore certain users, if you like. I just added one. \o/

Edited by nordish

4 minutes ago, Tortue said:

Yep this has been suggested before. Check the picture I posted of the mock-up compass. The beacons would show up as colored arrows.

Just now, nordish said:

produce a mark by yourself --> terran forming tool ;)

Or save yourself the trouble and use the compass.

1 minute ago, Ferocious said:

Yep this has been suggested before. Check the picture I posted of the mock-up compass. The beacons would show up as colored arrows.

Or save yourself the trouble and use the compass.

if you are lost and find a beacon alone and you have several around the world. Where does the compass help here?

PS: @Systemera: Ignore-Feature is not working!

1 minute ago, nordish said:

if you are lost and find a beacon alone and you have several around the world. Where does the compass help here?

PS: @Systemera: Ignore-Feature is not working!

Shows the direction to the closest 4 beacons.  Like mentioned before...

please quote. This will not work in every situation on how I understand that.

Because you might just travel between 2 beacons ...

Edited by nordish

11 minutes ago, nordish said:

please quote. This will not work in every situation on how I understand that.

Because you might just travel between 2 beacons ...

Not sure how it wouldn't work by traveling between 2 beacons. As for the quote I made a picture displaying this and its been posted in this thread and reused in other threads.

There's navigational aides, and then there's mini maps. I'm starting to think this topic is skewing.

Minimaps is one of those things you just gotta ...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the devs have their plan and will proceed with whatever plan that is. Seeing how the community is greatly divided on the subject of 'a map'.

I think more of us are in agreement that some better 'pointers' are in order (not necessarily a map), as @Ferocious elegantly mocked up with the compass.

Has she gone? *looks around hastily*

Actually, it occurs to me, having just watch some telly.. and thinking alawhilst not a word i know.. just think the ala looks funny, in a childish sorta way.

Is there an objection to maps, minimaps, fogged out maps, that expand as you explore.. is it just the thinking that all maps are evil? or just maps that let you see everything before hand?

The idea of points on the compass, also works, but that's not a map, that's a navigational aid.   Which is probably the simpler approach.  A map, would mean something that can map a randomly generated world, everytime you make a new game.. so it'd need to be able to remap to whatever was newly created.

Most maps, are made before hand are just uncovered over time as you explore.  Probably not very feasible to have actual maps, unless there's an easy way to code it.

So a compass, maybe a limited supply of beacons.. when you place the 5th it deletes the 1st.. something like that.. stops the compass from becoming overly full.

Minimaps are just a sort of radar.. they usually show only what's nearby.

Edited by Martin

Lots of great discussion in this thread, lets all remember to keep cool! 

I am personally for the no radar variant, although I think there is merit to being able to build out something that helps you navigate down the research road. I have many times only made it back to base with my materials by remembering in which direction the sun rises and sets.....

On 07/01/2017 at 7:48 PM, nerb said:

Why not have researchable, printable addons for the backpack that provide a hud type indicator specific to the resource of the gizmo printed, fitted and serched for. Not a map as such but a useful utility yes?

This seems the best compromise to me, I've been lost a number of times and had an urge to open the map tool  (then remember there ain't one) butat the same time would be saddened to see one implemented even optionally as I know I'd not be able to resist to use it

Maybe a comms link that takes up a slot on your back back pack like the quote said that maps your local area of allows you to see a top down view of the area to give you an rough idea where to go

On 9.1.2017 at 3:23 PM, Ferocious said:

20170109034847_1.jpg

Oh ye, this is Exactly what i mean. nice Pic :D

On 1/7/2017 at 11:59 AM, Martin said:

Fog of war type minimap would be nice, showing where you've been, rather than where you can go.

The problem with maps in a game like this, is 3d.. the planets aren't flat, so you'd need to account for sloping tunnels, overlapping caves etc as well.  So a minimap may not be feasible.

Ever played any game recently? they're all 3D. The best example I can give you of a mini-map that works well with multiple levels is the maps on all the fallout games. It's 3d, with caves, tunnels, and buildings all with multiple levels and it has a map that works. Once the player changes levels, the map changes with them. Not to mention we live in a 3D world and have plenty of maps that work well with all the caves/tunnels/buildings us humans have created over the years lol. Not trying to be mean, but the whole it's 3D, therefore it's impossible to make a mini-map to resemble that is kind of a silly thought.

Yeh but maps are 2d.  Doesn't matter if the game is 3d/2d what matters is how the map works, I've played games which attempt to map a 3d environment on a 2d map and it's just a mess.

Perhaps a proper little 3d holographic map would be cool.. but likely, damn hard to make.

Fallout maps are all 2d.

Edited by Martin