Preyhunter

Advocating for no mini-map

Look, I get lost too.  But minimaps takes away from exploring.  Don't know if any of you all grew up exploring wilderness and landscapes as a kid... but half the fun was just that, getting lost and wondering around.  In that vein, minimaps in games destroy that.  Whether it's in survival or in pvp centric games, the map auto orientates you and takes away from the freedom of exploration and of getting lost.  

Around the forums there are many post on people just getting lost and having organic adventures from that; they would be diminished if you were constantly reminded of how to get home.  There is a compass built into the game by rotating the camera and clicking on your guy

As a compensation, since I feel like if I didn't offer another solution i'd just be part of the problem...   That being, a road system would be cool, even just the ability to use resources to make difference colored ground (even if the truck behaved the same on all ground) so you could better (visually) section off your base/paths.  You could follow your yellow brick road (or whatever kind of road) way home if you get lost, it would be like leaving breadcrumbs.

Although I agree with your sentiment, humans having been using maps as soon as they could even start to draw them. There is a time to explore, and there is a time to not get separated from  your home and die in the wilderness :D

However, some innovation and imagination could be in order here, whereby a mini-map is some tech that must be rediscovered, as something is interfering your mapping sensor and rendered it inoperable.

Perhaps the storms create some EMP effect that wipes out the memory on your map module from time to time, so that you can't always rely on it 100%.

It could just be something that is given later in the game, or if earlier is rendered useless by the environment of some planets. So perhaps on our first planet, which is more Earth like, since it is almost a level 1 'easy' planet, that maps work as expected, but as we leave it for other environments, sometimes they can't be relied on, or are simply corrupted by environments.

13 minutes ago, Preyhunter said:

Look, I get lost too.  But minimaps takes away from exploring.  Don't know if any of you all grew up exploring wilderness and landscapes as a kid... but half the fun was just that, getting lost and wondering around.  In that vein, minimaps in games destroy that.  Whether it's in survival or in pvp centric games, the map auto orientates you and takes away from the freedom of exploration and of getting lost.  

Around the forums there are many post on people just getting lost and having organic adventures from that; they would be diminished if you were constantly reminded of how to get home.  There is a compass built into the game by rotating the camera and clicking on your guy

As a compensation, since I feel like if I didn't offer another solution i'd just be part of the problem...   That being, a road system would be cool, even just the ability to use resources to make difference colored ground (even if the truck behaved the same on all ground) so you could better (visually) section off your base/paths.  You could follow your yellow brick road (or whatever kind of road) way home if you get lost, it would be like leaving breadcrumbs.

Or you could just put beacons down ;)

1 hour ago, Baked Spartan said:

Or you could just put beacons down ;)

Yes but after 200 or so beacons the game lags something fierce.

19 minutes ago, miertam said:

Yes but after 200 or so beacons the game lags something fierce.

Yeah, the game is pretty new. Maybe just pick up the beacons after you're done with an area for now? I had to stop building so many platforms because that was lagging my game out.

Here is a thought.... not to steal any thing from any were but I kinda do like how MineCraft uses maps or how its a CHOOSE to use them.  BUT you have to craft them after all and they use up inventory space so I really don't see the fears of the use of a map/radar if only in the form of a craftable item that takes an inventory space and maybe even power to use.  Having that would be a choose to use and or make and you still would have to find all the parts in the first place.  I personally just use the given compass because that is enough for me but if it is not enough for others then they need to have that option to build it and use it.

that is just my opinion

2 hours ago, Preyhunter said:

I love the exploration vibe too, in the early game. But even 7000BC ancient human needs a mean to record their trails. I suggested that map could come as a later endgame technology and covers some limited area and functionality like it is not functioning in sandstorm or poles.

Maysmata was a game where you had a map and compass but you needed 3 lines of sight reference points before the map should anything that would be good.

Numbers on beacons. 

I agree with the "no mini map" idea, but we need a slightly better navigation system than now. Numbered beacons adds a little more information without greatly altering the basic mechanics.

I've given up entire games because I couldn't find my way home.

Edited by ozvoxhumana68
typo fix

I don't mind the idea of a map, but I hope they work it into research and construction before you have access to it. You'd have to research satellite technology, then you'd have to build the satellites (GPS needs at least 3 for accuracy), not to mention fueling and launching the satellites. Long story short, I hope they make it such that maps are not quick or necessarily easy to achieve.

Furthermore, I think it'd be interesting if they had a display you actually had to pull up or look at, rather than just having a map suddenly part of your screen. Considering they seem to be going for as minimal a UI as possible, I think that would fit perfectly in the current game schema.

3 minutes ago, thechoat said:

Or heres a thought do it old school pencil and paper and make your own map as you go

This isn't a bad idea. You work on penmanship, geography and mapmaking while playing a video game. It's a brain game if you set your guidelines properly.

Why not have researchable, printable addons for the backpack that provide a hud type indicator specific to the resource of the gizmo printed, fitted and serched for. Not a map as such but a useful utility yes?

I'd be against the "map already has everything on it" style minimaps.

But I don't think I would be against the "map learns where you go, records your breadtrails" style minimaps.

Fog of war type minimap would be nice, showing where you've been, rather than where you can go.

The problem with maps in a game like this, is 3d.. the planets aren't flat, so you'd need to account for sloping tunnels, overlapping caves etc as well.  So a minimap may not be feasible.

21 minutes ago, thechoat said:

Or heres a thought do it old school pencil and paper and make your own map as you go

16 minutes ago, Winjavinchi said:

This isn't a bad idea. You work on penmanship, geography and mapmaking while playing a video game. It's a brain game if you set your guidelines properly.

Yeah, I still remember doing that back in the 1990ies for some veeeery old games. The invention of automapping in Videogames was such a relief. I wonder if that's why maps were so succefull in videogames...;)

Sorry, I really do not enjoy having no reliable means of navigating. The compass is basically useless for me, because it is really hard to simply walk in a straight line in any direction, turn around and not miss your starting point. The further you go the worse it gets. The beacons not always showing doesn't really help with that either, and once you are lost walking in any direcction can actually make everything worse. Lost more than one world to that, and I don't call that a fun challange but an annoyance, so having no reliable navigation device is one of the biggest negative points about astroneer.

I'm also not talking about maps that reveal anything before you know it's there, but a basic gps waypoints system and maybe an automap (not neccesarily minimap) as one of the basic techs is kinda important, and in that sense for me personally it doesn't hinder exploration in any way, it's what makes long term exploration possible for me.

Yeh on the moon and radiated the beacons are almost useless, unless you put them on top of hills etc. 

Must admit I used to buy graphic paper, the one with all the little squares on it, we used to play a whole bunch of paper games with it before computer games were even invented.   Even for making maps for d&d and black rose, tunnels & trolls etc.. later on with the release of games, it was really handy to have a hand drawn map to refer to and when someone invented sticky paper.. my keyboard got covered with bits of paper indicating the 102 different ways of getting lost playing Eye of the Beholder etc.. hated the dungeons in that game.

But all that said, I don't really refer to maps in games, unless I'm lost.. I make a map in my head, using waypoints, line of sight objects etc, it's just usually after a confusing fight, like running and dodging acid spewing plants that I get lost.

Edited by Martin

I do get annoyed with unable to see any of the waypoints. They hopefully will work on that a bit better. I think just being able to ping the location of 'your stuff', would go a LONG way to figuring out where you are. Its even much worse as a Client in an MP game, as it wont even show you points that are actually within viewing distance lol.

Lol, i Imagine the Map to be something you need to Research or something.

first you build a Holographic Map at your Base, in Large... like a Smelter, Research, etc.

and then you Carry a Small Item with you, it Consatntly Drains a Bit of Power and Takes a Inv. Slot.

The More you Explore with around the More you see on the Holographic Large Map at your Base, then Include Things like Beacons, Habitats, Things that are In Orbit of the Planet and maybe even Other Players with the Same Mapping Item Equipt.

Ohhh, i always get so Hyped for Things like this...

rSGt6fy.jpg

LLT9WhG.jpg

So i (poorly) Drew what i had in Mind xD

4 minutes ago, Proxy said:

Lol, i Imagine the Map to be something you need to Research or something.

[...]

So what do you do, when you are like me, and can't stray to far from your base without getting lost and have just bad rng and can't find the neccessary research in range?

Get lost and never find your base again, basically you have to start over.

how often do you start over?

Sorry, I don't want to be a downer or smthng and maybe we are talking about 2 completly different things here. You might be talking about a fancy do-it-all-map, and I am talking about a basic way to be able to get back to my base, no matter where I am. I don't care what I can or can't see on that map or whatever, as long as it is enough to know where I am in relation to my base. In the current state the game is clearly lacking in that department, as at some point beacons get either obstructed or are out of range, and if you are unlucky with terraingen, that might just be a couple of minutes out.