Sign in to follow this  
Schlabbe26

Astroneer doesn't start anymore?

Okay i fixed it somehow now. I deactivated the Intel card and after that it started fine. But now the Resolution of my Display is pretty weird but I am sure that I can fix that by myself ;) 

I really thank you for your help and that you wasted so much time for me. I really appreciate that :D

37 minutes ago, Schlabbe26 said:

What if i just deactivate the Intel graphics? Then astroneer has no other possibility than using the nvidia card?  

That would do it I guess.

8 minutes ago, Schlabbe26 said:

Okay i fixed it somehow now. I deactivated the Intel card and after that it started fine. But now the Resolution of my Display is pretty weird but I am sure that I can fix that by myself ;) 

I really thank you for your help and that you wasted so much time for me. I really appreciate that :D

I am glad you got it to work, as always with such issues, identifying the cause is the hardest part. Once you know that the fix comes easy.

Just now, piespace said:

I am glad you got it to work, as always with such issues, identifying the cause is the hardest part. Once you know that the fix comes easy.

Yes that's true :D

But how do I get out of that weird Windows mode i'm in now? Weird Format, weird Resolution and if I try to get into the nvidia Control Panel i get a message that i am not using a Display that is connected to the nvidia gpu

I am not sure but you might have some issues with your GPU... Did you try another game, does that run properly ?

1 minute ago, piespace said:

I am not sure but you might have some issues with your GPU... Did you try another game, does that run properly ?

all the games have the same issue. And it is not just like that in games. It is on my Desktop as well. I think it is something like the Security Mode  of Windows (What it is called like in german Safe mode maybe?. I don't know) but how do I get out of here :'D

1 minute ago, Schlabbe26 said:

all the games have the same issue. And it is not just like that in games. It is on my Desktop as well. I think it is something like the Security Mode  of Windows (What it is called like in german Safe mode maybe?. I don't know) but how do I get out of here :'D

If you're in Safe mode you just need to restart and start Windows normally.

What I assume though it's that your GPU is damaged due to OC and that is actually the main cause of the issue.

Can you see the GPU in device manager? Does it appear as working properly? I guess you have the latest drivers installed, right? Still trying to OC now?

Just now, piespace said:

If you're in Safe mode you just need to restart and start Windows normally.

What I assume though it's that your GPU is damaged due to OC and that is actually the main cause of the issue.

Can you see the GPU in device manager? Does it appear as working properly? I guess you have the latest drivers installed, right? Still trying to OC now?

So. Now I activated the Intel gpu again. No the Nvidia works fine it was just the safe mode that i wasn't able to get rid of. And now astroneer starts even though both cards are activated.

2 hours ago, Schlabbe26 said:

So. Now I activated the Intel gpu again. No the Nvidia works fine it was just the safe mode that i wasn't able to get rid of. And now astroneer starts even though both cards are activated.

<Misc.CPUBrand>Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 460  @ 2.53GHz</Misc.CPUBrand>

You're using a notebook.. ie a little laptop.. a calculator..

When you crash a pc, sometimes it can glitch out the gpu.   Which sounds like what you did, the issue is likely that you overclocked the gpu and it really isn't designed for overclocking.. it's barely more than a calculator.   The notebook then booted into safemode using your onboard gpu which astroneer cannot load with, which is why you couldn't play.  When you disabled the onboard, it forced your nvidia to default and everything worked, from this point is doesn't matter if the onboard is disabled or not, as the nv will default to being the main gpu.  

You should watch the heat levels on your gpu, if it overheats, which is much more likely if you oc it.. it will crash again, do this too many times and your notebook will cease to work at all.  And it'll be an out of warranty repair.

It'll be cheaper to buy a new one, than to get it fixed at this point.

Edited by Martin

14 minutes ago, Martin said:

<Misc.CPUBrand>Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 460  @ 2.53GHz</Misc.CPUBrand>

You're using a notebook.. ie a little laptop.. a calculator..

When you crash a pc, sometimes it can glitch out the gpu.   Which sounds like what you did, the issue is likely that you overclocked the gpu and it really isn't designed for overclocking.. it's barely more than a calculator.   The notebook then booted into safemode using your onboard gpu which astroneer cannot load with, which is why you couldn't play.  When you disabled the onboard, it forced your nvidia to default and everything worked, from this point is doesn't matter if the onboard is disabled or not, as the nv will default to being the main gpu.  

You should watch the heat levels on your gpu, if it overheats, which is much more likely if you oc it.. it will crash again, do this too many times and your notebook will cease to work at all.  And it'll be an out of warranty repair.

It'll be cheaper to buy a new one, than to get it fixed at this point.

Damn it Martin, I write so many posts to troubleshoot and you come in and try to get all the glory :P

I couldn't agree more on the assesment. SeemsGood

It does actually say in the minimum spec a Non Mobile Gpu.. so these notebooks, although they have pretty decent cpu's in them, they are literally on the very bottom of the minimum specs.  I'd expect it's probably a 50-50 chance of finding one that works enough..

The main problem here, isn't really the notebook, it's just that this is an EA Game and EA games aren't optimised like a released game is, so whilst the op can run games like minecraft etc.. they have problems with Ea's.   Hell, this notebook can probably run Battlefield 4.. with everything on lowest.. not that i'd try that.  But overclocking them.. no.. not unless you don't mind it exploding on you.

7 minutes ago, Martin said:

It does actually say in the minimum spec a Non Mobile Gpu.. so these notebooks, although they have pretty decent cpu's in them, they are literally on the very bottom of the minimum specs.  I'd expect it's probably a 50-50 chance of finding one that works enough..

The main problem here, isn't really the notebook, it's just that this is an EA Game and EA games aren't optimised like a released game is, so whilst the op can run games like minecraft etc.. they have problems with Ea's.   Hell, this notebook can probably run Battlefield 4.. with everything on lowest.. not that i'd try that.  But overclocking them.. no.. not unless you don't mind it exploding on you.

I believe in this case if you OC the GPU you get a lot of thermal throttling and overall less performance.

It's just not recommended in my opinion.

This looks like almost the same issue L0kr has in the help, help, help thread.  Different cause, similar fix likely.

Similar Notebook as well.

Edited by Martin