Sign in to follow this  
Schlabbe26

Astroneer doesn't start anymore?

Hello I got a problem with Astroneer. (Sorry about my bad english beacause i'm german)

I already played the game for around 5 hours without any Problems. I loved it and that's why I'm so sad about having this problem. Since yesterday I am not able to start the game anymore. I have really no idea why. I overclocked my GPU before and at the beginning I thought that this causes the problem but Astroneer is the only game that doesn't work anymore. So I reinstalled the game twice and i also reinstalled the graphics Driver. But nothing changed. The report below is the only thing I could find.

Report.wer

1 minute ago, twitch.tv/l0kr said:

bei mir gehts auch nicht von anfang an nicht 20€ wasted 

Okay seltsam das hab ich auch gedacht als es nicht mehr funktioniert hat. Plöppt bei dir auch für maximal eine Sekunde das Astroneer Fenster auf und schließt sich dann ohne weiteres wieder?

5 minutes ago, Schlabbe26 said:

Hello I got a problem with Astroneer. (Sorry about my bad english beacause i'm german)

I already played the game for around 5 hours without any Problems. I loved it and that's why I'm so sad about having this problem. Since yesterday I am not able to start the game anymore. I have really no idea why. I overclocked my GPU before and at the beginning I thought that this causes the problem but Astroneer is the only game that doesn't work anymore. So I reinstalled the game twice and i also reinstalled the graphics Driver. But nothing changed. The report below is the only thing I could find.

Report.wer

Do you get any error messages? Any additional info that might point to the cause?

I'd try to help but I can't suggest anything based of the information you provided.

Just now, piespace said:

Do you get any error messages? Any additional info that might point to the cause?

I'd try to help but I can't suggest anything based of the information you provided.

There is no error message i get except of the Report i found and I also found the following Information in a Windows log (the Problem is that it is in german but I try to translate certain Things into english. Hope you understand it and thanks for your Reply :D):

Fehlerbucket , Typ 0                                         (=Faultbucket)
Ereignisname: APPCRASH
Antwort: Nicht verfügbar                                (=Response: Not available)
CAB-Datei-ID: 0
Problemsignatur:
P1: UE4-Astro
P2: 4.12.5
P3: 58655bd8
P4: Astro-Win64-Shipping.exe
P5: 4.12.5
P6: 00000000
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000000000000000
P9: !!AssertLog=""
P10: UE4!C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/ASTRONEER Early Access/Astro/Binaries/Win64/!Game!0
Angefügte Dateien:                                                                    (=Added Data files:)
Diese Dateien befinden sich möglicherweise hier:              (=These files might be located here:)
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_UE4-Astro_85fa702fb8604b4c8eb23c0119a97a0b25476e1_00000000_1a4d7914
Analysesymbol:
Es wird erneut nach einer Lösung gesucht: 0                                                   (Searching for Solution again: 0)
Berichts-ID: 69003b1f-d342-11e6-b055-1c75084bdf0e
Berichtstatus: 0

That's strange, it looks like the application crashed before even entering the game.

Looks like others experienced similar issue: http://steamcommunity.com/app/361420/discussions/0/152391995406420854

I read through the thread and someone mentioned they fixed by following this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2670838

I hope it helps and if it does, please leave an update so others know what to do. If it doesn't help, the below questions might be worthwhile answering.

1. You mentioned you OC'ed your GPU, was it OC'ed when you said you played without issues?

2. After uninstall of Astroneer, did you restart your PC? I'd suggest trying to verify game integrity instead of reinstall.

3. Are you running stable or experimental branch on Astroneer? (If you're on stable, try to switch to experimental and see if that works)

4. What OS are you running?

Kind regards,

pie

32 minutes ago, Schlabbe26 said:

Okay seltsam das hab ich auch gedacht als es nicht mehr funktioniert hat. Plöppt bei dir auch für maximal eine Sekunde das Astroneer Fenster auf und schließt sich dann ohne weiteres wieder?

ne bei mir startet das spiel erst garnicht danach bin ich im ue crash fenster 

14 minutes ago, piespace said:

That's strange, it looks like the application crashed before even entering the game.

Looks like others experienced similar issue: http://steamcommunity.com/app/361420/discussions/0/152391995406420854

I read through the thread and someone mentioned they fixed by following this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2670838

I hope it helps and if it does, please leave an update so others know what to do. If it doesn't help, the below questions might be worthwhile answering.

1. You mentioned you OC'ed your GPU, was it OC'ed when you said you played without issues?

2. After uninstall of Astroneer, did you restart your PC? I'd suggest trying to verify game integrity instead of reinstall.

3. Are you running stable or experimental branch on Astroneer? (If you're on stable, try to switch to experimental and see if that works)

4. What OS are you running?

Kind regards,

pie

Okay thank you for your reply piespace, i will follow the steps and then contact you again.

But to answer your questions:

1. I played some hours without the GPU being overclocked and than maybe a half hour with testing different clock speeds.

2. Yes i restarted the PC

3. I tried both versions, same Problem.

4. I am using Windows 10

Yes I read through this thread too, but i think this is not helpful for Windows 10 right? Only for Windows 7.

Maybe it helps to add that when i start the game the picture in the appendix (not sure if that is the right word :'D) appears for half a second and then it closes and that is everything that happens

Splash.bmp

Astroneer generates some logs as well, can you check if there's anything here:

C:\Users\(your user directory)\AppData\Local\Astro\Saved\Logs

AppData is a hidden folder so you will need to set hidden folders to be visible before trying to open it.

26 minutes ago, piespace said:

Might be worthwhile to add that from the looks of it, this issue seems to be caused by Windows Updates.

Hmm... How do Windows updates effect the game?

Just now, Schlabbe26 said:

Hmm... How do Windows updates effect the game?

Well, some prerequisites from the game can also be installed from Windows Updates. As nothing was changed by you I was assuming Windows Updates changed something.

6 minutes ago, piespace said:

AppData is a hidden folder so you will need to set hidden folders to be visible before trying to open it.

Okay I will try but can you please tell  me how to set hidden Folders to be visible?

(Got it)

Edited by Schlabbe26

1 minute ago, piespace said:

Well, some prerequisites from the game can also be installed from Windows Updates. As nothing was changed by you I was assuming Windows Updates changed something.

Ah okay thanks :)

How to see hidden files/folders:

Windows 10 

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type folder, and then select Show hidden files and folders from the search results.
  2. Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then select OK.

Windows 8.1 

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then select Search (or if you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then select Search).
  2. Type folder in the search box, then select Folder Options from the search results.
  3. Select the View tab.
  4. Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then select OK.

Windows 7 

1. Select the Start button, then select Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization.
  2. Select Folder Options, then select the View tab.
  3. Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then select OK.

9 minutes ago, piespace said:

This Folder is full of the same Reports:

There is a runtime-xml-file and a UE4minidump

Runtime-xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<FGenericCrashContext>
<RuntimeProperties>
<CrashVersion>3</CrashVersion>
<CrashGUID>UE4CC-Windows-2DEE43214AE9CB0E80C29EBB000801AF_0000</CrashGUID>
<ProcessId>7020</ProcessId>
<IsInternalBuild>0</IsInternalBuild>
<IsPerforceBuild>0</IsPerforceBuild>
<IsSourceDistribution>0</IsSourceDistribution>
<IsEnsure>0</IsEnsure>
<SecondsSinceStart>0</SecondsSinceStart>
<GameName>UE4-Astro</GameName>
<ExecutableName>Astro-Win64-Shipping</ExecutableName>
<ExecutableVersion></ExecutableVersion>
<BuildConfiguration>Shipping</BuildConfiguration>
<GameSessionID></GameSessionID>
<PlatformName>WindowsNoEditor</PlatformName>
<PlatformNameIni>Windows</PlatformNameIni>
<EngineMode>Game</EngineMode>
<DeploymentName></DeploymentName>
<EngineVersion>4.12.5-0+UE4</EngineVersion>
<CommandLine></CommandLine>
<LanguageLCID>1031</LanguageLCID>
<AppDefaultLocale>de_DE</AppDefaultLocale>
<IsUE4Release>1</IsUE4Release>
<UserName></UserName>
<BaseDir>C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/ASTRONEER Early Access/Astro/Binaries/Win64/</BaseDir>
<RootDir>C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/ASTRONEER Early Access/</RootDir>
<MachineId>FF8F675B49ED4806D4EB84887966EBF4</MachineId>
<EpicAccountId></EpicAccountId>
<CallStack></CallStack>
<SourceContext></SourceContext>
<UserDescription></UserDescription>
<UserActivityHint></UserActivityHint>
<ErrorMessage></ErrorMessage>
<CrashDumpMode>0</CrashDumpMode>
<CrashReporterMessage></CrashReporterMessage>
<Misc.NumberOfCores>2</Misc.NumberOfCores>
<Misc.NumberOfCoresIncludingHyperthreads>4</Misc.NumberOfCoresIncludingHyperthreads>
<Misc.Is64bitOperatingSystem>1</Misc.Is64bitOperatingSystem>
<Misc.CPUVendor>GenuineIntel</Misc.CPUVendor>
<Misc.CPUBrand>Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 460  @ 2.53GHz</Misc.CPUBrand>
<Misc.PrimaryGPUBrand>Intel(R) HD Graphics</Misc.PrimaryGPUBrand>
<Misc.OSVersionMajor>Windows 10</Misc.OSVersionMajor>
<Misc.OSVersionMinor></Misc.OSVersionMinor>
<MemoryStats.TotalPhysical>3949674496</MemoryStats.TotalPhysical>
<MemoryStats.TotalVirtual>140737488224256</MemoryStats.TotalVirtual>
<MemoryStats.PageSize>65536</MemoryStats.PageSize>
<MemoryStats.TotalPhysicalGB>4</MemoryStats.TotalPhysicalGB>
<MemoryStats.AvailablePhysical>0</MemoryStats.AvailablePhysical>
<MemoryStats.AvailableVirtual>0</MemoryStats.AvailableVirtual>
<MemoryStats.UsedPhysical>0</MemoryStats.UsedPhysical>
<MemoryStats.PeakUsedPhysical>0</MemoryStats.PeakUsedPhysical>
<MemoryStats.UsedVirtual>0</MemoryStats.UsedVirtual>
<MemoryStats.PeakUsedVirtual>0</MemoryStats.PeakUsedVirtual>
<MemoryStats.bIsOOM>0</MemoryStats.bIsOOM>
<MemoryStats.OOMAllocationSize>0</MemoryStats.OOMAllocationSize>
<MemoryStats.OOMAllocationAlignment>0</MemoryStats.OOMAllocationAlignment>
</RuntimeProperties>
<PlatformProperties>
<PlatformIsRunningWindows>1</PlatformIsRunningWindows>
<BuildIntegrityStatus>0</BuildIntegrityStatus>
</PlatformProperties>
</FGenericCrashContext>

Might be mistaking but it looks like the game is starting using the Inter Integrated Graphics card:

If you use Nvidia, can you go to Nvidia control panel and configure Astroneer to use the dedicated GPU. (you'll have to google how to do this, it's not complicated)

1 minute ago, piespace said:

Might be mistaking but it looks like the game is starting using the Inter Integrated Graphics card:

If you use Nvidia, can you go to Nvidia control panel and configure Astroneer to use the dedicated GPU. (you'll have to google how to do this, it's not complicated)

That's weird. In the System controls i can change the graphics card. But I already chose the Nvidia Card and so it should be activated

But it would make at least some sense if the Intel card would be in use because after overclocking the nvidia didn't work for some time so maybe astroneer tried to use the Intel card and somehow doesn't change back to nvidia

But it would make at least some sense if the Intel card would be in use because after overclocking the nvidia didn't work for some time so maybe astroneer tried to use the Intel card and somehow doesn't change back to nvidia

EDIT: I now tried to select the nvidia for astroneer one more time and after i started it (still doesn't work) i looked in the new created runtime-xml file and still it is: <Misc.PrimaryGPUBrand>Intel(R) HD Graphics</Misc.PrimaryGPUBrand>

But why? I really selected the nvidia. Can i manually change that?

Edited by Schlabbe26

Schlabbe26 Can you confirm your main GPU is still working, can you check in another game if that is working.

6 minutes ago, piespace said:

Schlabbe26 Can you confirm your main GPU is still working, can you check in another game if that is working.

Yes it works completely finde. Like i said before all my other games work and also ''very'' graphic demanding games like dirt 3, Warthunder, Minecraft (everything with nvidia)