loss182

[IDEA] Extend the use of the researching pods without changing the actual system too much

Hello fellow astroneers!

So my idea is to make more important research itens (Shuttle, Trading Station, Drill, etc) need more than one pod to complete.

Like researching pieces of it, as an example:

1º research = You found Shuttle piece (1/3) or name it to Shuttle landers
2º research = You found Shuttle piece (2/3) or name it to Shuttle fuel tank
3º research = You found Shuttle piece (3/3) or name it to Shuttle engine

And then a message "Shuttle unlocked"

That way we will be more motivated to explore the planet and it will be more rewarding

Edited by loss182

Yes! Although, one small issue. With how the current setup is, you get the whole thing all willy-nilly. But if it were separated, then would the research be spat out at random, so you end up getting 1/3 of the Spaceship, and then the next one is 1/3 of the Drill Head? Or does it become, "This kind of research pod is now dedicated to this one research"?

So each of these only relates to one final researched thing, but what that thing is, is random? (Rarer research pods have the rarer research, of course)

https://i.gyazo.com/cc4c8d016cf9d3654901d25ca06114cb.png

Just now, Devious_Oatmeal said:

Yes! Although, one small issue. With how the current setup is, you get the whole thing all willy-nilly. But if it were separated, then would the research be spat out at random, so you end up getting 1/3 of the Spaceship, and then the next one is 1/3 of the Drill Head? Or does it become, "This kind of research pod is now dedicated to this one research"?

So each of these only relates to one final researched thing, but what that thing is, is random? (Rarer research pods have the rarer research, of course)

https://i.gyazo.com/cc4c8d016cf9d3654901d25ca06114cb.png

Would be a random research, that way you have the surprise feeling when you found the piece you were looking for. But keeping the 2 research limit per pod type.

I like parts of this idea, but maybe the problem your trying to solve is that you can finish all the research before doing that much exploring. One fix I can think of is that maybe certain research items like the trading platform or the fuel condenser can only be researched when you get to another planet forcing you to explore the solar system before you can get all the items. Instead of breaking the research up into parts, new research items could be spread further (i.e other planets) to require you to explore more. 

I will admit. The idea of finding pieces of research sounds like fun. It is what they do in Subnautica, and they like to spread those researches around. But I'd assume that they would place different research pods on different planets, so that all the pods in the picture above aren't all on the same planet and limit them quite a bit to make them rare. As they have it now, each pod only grants one unique research, or maybe two, I forget, and then you need to research a new kind of pod for new research. that's why some give you resources after a while.